Currys 5 yrs extended Warranty

ray_uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2620 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

On the 25 March 2011, I purchased a washing machine from Currys in Cardiff.

After paying by card, the salesman ask me if I wanted extended warranty in case of breakdown.

I refused the offer, as I live on my own and does all my washing every 1 to 2 weeks.

He was telling me all sorts of rubbish.

I again no and went home.

This week Jan 2017 I had some problems with my bank account.

My Daughter helped me look through all my direct debits for me.

We noticed a transaction for currys, and yes it was a warranty for a fridge freezer I purchased from currys.

Going through further, we noticed another transaction from currys £6.45

I contacted currys and they told me its for my washing machine.

I told them I did not make any agreement.

I told them that the salesman done this without my permission and said that would be fraud.

After several emails I told them I was taking legal advice an gave them 7 days to reply.

I have passed their reply below.

How can I prove that I didn't make this agreement when I didn't enter into a warranty.

Please can you advise me. Thanks Ray Guy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There Message below

.Dear Mr xxxx,

Thank you for your email dated 13th January 2017. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response.

I have noted your complaint regarding this agreement being set up fraudulently, to set up the agreement, you have to sign a mandate authorising payments to be debited from your account. As our stores only retain records up to six months we are unable to provide the proof necessary to substantiate your claim. Any proof regarding this allegation would need to be provided by yourself, upon receiving this we will consider your claim and get back to you once a decision has been made.

At the time of purchase, you would have been provided with a copy of the Terms and Conditions that advised you exactly which items were protected and how to cancel. You were also given a copy of the purchase receipt, which would have mentioned the agreement.

The monitoring of payments being taken from a card or bank account is the customer's responsibility. Your card statements should indicate who a payment is being made to and if there are any doubts or unrecognised payments the card provider should be contacted to check the details. We would expect any questions regarding payments to be raised promptly.

I had a similar problem once with carphone warehouse.

I think to begin with, you need to send them an SAR. This will cost you £10 and were obliged to disclose all the personal information they have on you – including statements agreements et cetera.

Of course, you can simply try to invoke the direct debit guarantee but of course it has been going on so long that may cause problems and also even if the bank refunded you the money, it wouldn't get any of the interest that you would be entitled to.

Better to treat this as an unauthorised extended warranty policy and to make a claim for all the money they have taken plus interest. Over a period of six years, it will add up to quite a bit.

Send the SAR. Don't send anything else the moment. Wait and see what turns up in the post – then come back here

Unfortunately it looks like you don't have a leg to stand on.

If this payment has been made for 5 years with no question then I think the law would probably take the view that either you had agreed to it or it wasn't important to you.

It's worth checking your paperwork and seeing what you are entitled to.

It's likely that according to the agreement, under certain conditions you are entitled to a new machine.

You've probably got accidental damage cover which you may be able to claim against.

I am sure there are a million and one things you could claim against to make sure you get value for your money.

I am NOT suggesting that you commit fraud.

However, claiming against your agreement is likely to be a better option than trying to get back all what you have paid in.

My advice, claim, get yourself a new machine and then stop paying. Good Luck...

was this a direct debt?

or is it a continuous payment authority as you paid by debit ? card?

unless you gave them your bank account details and signed a DD mandate I suggest the above.

don't like all you ideas here tiger, that's fraud?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Last week i saw a video about a guy who was playing with his crossbow and pierced his washing machine motherboard.

As he tried to pull the Wm out to unplug it, the door came off and the glass smashed on the floor.

Would this be considered accidental damage?

Very off topic but no it wouldn't...

For one using a crossbow indoors is an inherent danger to any thing nearby.

Especially the pistol kind as they have a nasty tendency to kick the bolt upwards if not inserted correctly.

Secondly the door wouldn't be classed as accidental due to Warrenty being voided by the crossbow bolt in the main board. ..

Thirdly what power crossbow is this? I use an 80lb one as standard although looking to upgrade and I doubt this would make it through the covering plastic metal shielding and then main board as well...

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: