• Tweets

• I see the poops are still trying to deflect from their own criminality and and abuses by whinging on about raynors buying her council house - now about election registration - anyone who owns a flat or house understands that you dont give up your and your childrens home just because of a new relationship and while we are on about that ..   lets start with When is jenrick being revisited for both lockdown abuses and self admitted (claims estate is his main home - not the property in his electorate or his london property) 'possible (lol) electoral registration abuses as he claimed he was at his estate 'main home' away from both London and his electoral 'home'  - much of which paid for by the taxpayer     Cabinet Minister Robert Jenrick 'breaks lockdown rules twice' by going to 'second home' - Mirror Online WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK Key Cabinet Minister Robert Jenrick drove 150 miles to his 'second home' after urging the nation to remain in their homes in a bid to...   ... perhaps follow with more self admitted lobbying while in a potion where they shouldn't “A few of us in parliament have lobbied the government – and with the help of the Treasury select committee, the chancellor has listened,” John Baron wrote.   Tory MP faces lobbying questions over Treasury committee role | Investing | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Co-owner of investment management firm called for ‘urgent’ post-Brexit changes to City rules at committee meetings     About time labour got in the game and started pressing for these self admitted/bragged Tory abuses were properly investigates.
    • No I didn't I got the dates mixed up.   
    • Sorry about that, TJ. The person who posted it specifically said it was free access. Here's another version of the FT article. https://archive.is/KYrPa
    • Isnt there some indication in there of at least intent to inform arbuthnot? IF he wasn't then it would seem to be Vennells decision to keep him 'uninformed .. Although seems to me if arbuthnot was unaware - he was either incompetent or should have very detailed records of denials. Seems vennells is constantly at the core of all the lying about all these issues though.
    • Paywalled/subscribe HB I'm unaware of the details on this HB but why is it a potential taxpayer burden? Hasn't a judge already ruled port has rights of access - so shouldn't costs be on the private company (South Tees Development Corporation) trying to change established access?     LIVE: High Court updates as CEO gives evidence in access rights row between STDC and PD Ports - Teesside Live WWW.GAZETTELIVE.CO.UK The face-off between the Teesport operator and Mayor Ben Houchen's South Tees Development Corporation continues in the High Court  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Leeds Building Society Mortage Shortfall***Settled***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wow... Just wow.

You cannot and will not be absolved from your liability without a court order.

Do not pay.

Tell them to chase your ex wife and get a response from her as you cannot make a decision on your own when its joint liability

All this will do is

They will get money.

They will fail or not bother to chase your ex

The origins company or lender will chase you again.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you have read the message above from Leeds and Holbeck?

I have spoken to the Financial Ombusman and they are calling me back on Tuesday regarding the offer they have made.

Let’s see there View in the “written offer” from Leeds and Holbeck?

They have spoken to my ex wife and the record of the last phone call to her shown in my SAR information is that she will go bankrupt or rather Leeds and Holbeck can file for her bankruptcy!

I am if the understanding the £20k can and will only be a full and final settlement for the both of us!

That’s how they will work it!

Hence I really do need some proffesional advice from somebody local.

Many thanks

Here are my thoughts on this.

Don't get involved in any full & final settlement, even if it were say £7k they finally agreed, which you borrowed.

Just pay them £20 per month ( if that is affordable) and stick to it. If they ever asked you to increase, you just provide basic information that shows that £20 a month is all you can afford. Outside of them taking you to court, they are not entitled to have your financial position looked at by a court.

This would avoid the bankruptcy you say would affect you.

If you see a local Solicitors that provides help with debt problems, many offer up to half an hour free and they can advise whether this is a sensible way forward or not.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

urm.

something not right here

theres noway a mainstream BS would offer a £13k discount

get looking at that sar.

look for the mortgage agreement.

what insurances and PPI were you Sc@mmed out of

look at all the statements

look for PENALTY FEES.

arrears

missed DD

late

letter

phone call

debt management

FEES

they will be a fixed sum like 20,30, etc

wonder how much of this supposed debt is those and insurances - as ALL can be reclaimed

hence the discount

when was the last payment

when did they repo the house

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Not been in here for a while, I’ve been fighting away with the mortage company for months getting no where then finally after speaking with Payplan and discussing my options

I looked at Bankruoty and and Iva as soon as they were informed of this they have now agreed to settle my liability (joint mortage)

Originally they asked for £20,000 (Shortfall was £69,876) this I couldn’t raise, however my parents agreed that they would lend me £7,000 as a full and final settlement offer. I put this forward and they have sent the following response to my offer.

“I refer to our recent email correspondence and am pleased to advise that the Society agree to accept £7,000.00 as a discounted full and final settlement, which will release you from personal liability on the above mentioned account.

This agreement is strictly subject to receipt of funds within 28 days from the date of this email. Payment can be made before this date but should payment not be received by this date, we reserve the right to seek recovery of the full amount outstanding.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me on Xxxxxxc

I hope so much somebody on here can advise,

is this possible,

how do I ensure my name is removed from the debt?

What do I need to ask for?

Do they require a court order?

They are obviously taking that as settlement on my liability or will they be taking this as settlement on the full debt (my ex wife is not making any payments or offer as she cannot afford anything)

I’m so confused and worried I make the wrong decision, obviously if I can avoid the Iva/bankruptcy that would be preferable but I need to be clear after payment this debt is no longer mine has my name attached to it or is enforceable.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi

I had a significant shortfall with them. They pushed and pushed knowing that I wanted to avoid bankruptcy, but I got to the point where I could take no more.

I offered them X or I would save the money and go bankrupt and they would have nothing.

They accepted at a pace that was surprisingly speedy.

I suppose something is better than nothing.

I wish you well.

Spud

“I refer to our recent email correspondence and am pleased to advise that the Society agree to accept £7,000.00 as a discounted full and final settlement, which will release you from personal liability on the above mentioned account."

Ask what about your ex liability...will this be in full and final settlement of the whole debt and the account settled/closed ?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi,

Sounds very similar! Was this a joint mortgage? Also if you don’t mind me asking what did you ask for to prove you were no longer liable and what did they send?

Thanks

Hi

Yes it was a joint debt, their solicitors provided me with a written guarantee stating that it would be as full and final settlement.

We also pointed out that if they did not accept our offer then it would be made clear that it was a route that we had tried our best to ignore.

They soon realised that they can not control bankruptcy and its final judgement. Who are you dealing with on their behalf?

Dealing direct with Leeds Building Society at present. Recovery Department.

I questioned the full and final acceptance offer and asked about my ex partners liability and how they would take me off the liability and there response was as follows!

It is The Society who have made the decision to accept this reduced amount in settlement and upon receipt of cleared funds for the agreed amount, you would be provided with written confirmation from this office that you have no further personal liability to the account.

The Society would no longer pursue you for any remaining balance.

Please note that we are under no obligation to seek authorisation for this via courts or solicitors.

Your credit file would be updated to show a zero balance via partial settlement.

The mortgage account will remain open for the purposes of recovery collection from the other named party to the account.

I trust this answers your queries.

“I refer to our recent email correspondence and am pleased to advise that the Society agree to accept £7,000.00 as a discounted full and final settlement, which will release you from personal liability on the above mentioned account."

Ask what about your ex liability...will this be in full and final settlement of the whole debt and the account settled/closed ?

Andy

I review this after I questioned my ex partners liability after I offered payment.

“It is The Society who have made the decision to accept this reduced amount in settlement and upon receipt of cleared funds for the agreed amount, you would be provided with written confirmation from this office that you have no further personal liability to the account. The Society would no longer pursue you for any remaining balance. Please note that we are under no obligation to seek authorisation for this via courts or solicitors.

Your credit file would be updated to show a zero balance via partial settlement.

The mortgage account will remain open for the purposes of recovery collection from the other named party to the account.

I trust this answers yours questions.

" The mortgage account will remain open for the purposes of recovery collection from the other named party to the account."

So your F&FS only covers your liability...not your ex.You must make a stipulation that the F&FS offer is on behalf of both parties to the mortgage...not just yourself.....obviously they may then shift their decision and reject it...so its alll down to if you wish to clear your ex also?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thanks Andy

Not bothered about her liability to be fair,

since the divorce she has been a nightmare and made no attempt to speak to or deal with the Building society,

just want to be clear on my side and move forward,

obviously have concerned on if the account is still open could they chase me again later and how moving forward it would effect me when applying for a mortage again! It’s just all so confusing!

Well you have it in writing above.......they wouldn't ...your liability ceases

I just wonder what happens legally, if the ex gets taken to court and the Judge says the debt is a joint liability, which the Building Society can't just amend via a settlement agreement with just one party.

Seems a bit iffy legally ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I assume this will be joint or joint & several ? .....

Discharge of liability

The release of one joint tortfeasor from liability, whether by way of seal or accord and satisfaction (full and final settlement), releases all the others.

Where the parties are severally (separately) liable for a specific portion of a debt, one person who pays his or her own portion has no legal right to contribution from the others.

Where the parties are jointly liable (as a unit) for the payment of a debt, a party who pays in excess of his or her share has a restitutionary right to contribution for the amount of his or her over payment. This is because as between the co debtors, it is fair that neither should pay more than their fair share.

This could, of course be displaced by evidence to suggest that, in a particular case, some other division would be fair, or by agreement between the debtors.

If the parties are jointly and severally liable for a debt, both as a unit and as individuals, any party who pays in excess of his or her proportionate share can seek contribution.

It is clear ( i think) if you log out of CAG and come back to read it again. I did not understand on first reading.

Basically, if you pay the F&F, it is settlement by all parties on the mortgage. The other bits relates to whether you could get a contribution from your ex, because you have settled the debt.

I see...... however the building society have stated the account WILL remain open and WILL chase my ex? This is only a Full and finallink8.gif settlement on my liability?

Are they being clever and in fact closing the whole account?

What I’m still struggling with is how can MY name be removed from the shortfall if the account remains open? Doesn’t matter if the society are saying they won’t chase me, if this is passed on to a debt collectorlink3.gif surly with my name in the account I will still be chased?

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

Yep, i think they are being clever, because you might not pay otherwise, if you thought you were paying some on behalf of an ex.

I don't think they can keep the account open. You are settling on bahalf of both parties on the mortgage.

A bit naughty really and surely against FCA rules to send letters containing inaccurate information. If they are doing so deliberately, even worse.

I agree,

but not surprised,

if settlement IS for both parties then I suppose so be it, but obviously I’d rather know.

As you say the fact they say the account will be “left open” may be the case for a day or so until then closes fully for both parties!

if they leave the account Open then they can still pursue you and/or her.

that is the thing about joint accounts,

they are joint and several to give them a proper name

Each individual is responsible for the others actions either together or separately.

If they say that the debt is satisfied then there is no liability by either of you

so there is no such thing as you other halfs debt or share of debt

That means it is not a full and final

I wouldnt bother offfering a penny more than you would as a normal payment to service the debt

as you arent going to get it cleared by paying a lump sum that doesnt settle the debt in its entirety.

They are not being clever over tis, you are just not understanding what they have offered.

Hi,

A little update on this,

Citizens Advice (after 2 days of investigating) and a conversation with The CML have all concluded I would no longer be liable for the debt provided I have this in writing.

This would be full and final settlement of my liability not the full debt, it it entirely up to the Society if it decides to release one party or not.

I approached my solicitor she believes the account would be closed anyway but if It wasn’t and it was taken to court the judge would be presented with my letter from Leeds Building Society and dismiss any claims!

It’s a complete nightmare!

Still very unsure!

It is up to you.

Pay them £7k as full and final settlement of the Mortgage Account i.e all parties to the account and when you write to them, you say that Leeds Building Society by cashing the payment of £7k are accepting it as full and final settlement of the mortgage account number 12345678.

They will cash the payment and that is it as far as you are concerned.

Or don't pay them and continue to be chased over a long period. The debt will be farmed out to a DCA.