Watch out for Nationwide buffer

determindator
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nationwide allow customers to utilise their accounts above arranged overdrafts or even if there is no overdraft.

Would be helpful if customers were not charged for this but you will be.

It's what they call a buffer and help if needed.

Each transaction will cost you £15.

I know someone who made a cash withdrawal for £70, and two small shop transactions less than £10 each.

They are going to be charged £15 for each of these transactions.

They did not ask for this service and would have preferred the system didn't allow the transactions.

They could have used another account but used this particular card thinking there was more money available.

Rant to you NW bank charges just keep finding their way into your life.

I had the same problem a few years ago. I used the card three times and was charged for going over my overdraft limit and for the three transactions. I complained saying it was an oversight on my part that was put right the following day from monies in my other Nationwide accounts, if they had a system in place telling me I'd overdrawn I wouldn't have done it. I also threatened to take my custom elsewhere. To their credit they reimbursed me for all the costs even the interest.

The person is requesting a refund considering there were other accounts which could have been used instead. £15 per transaction is a very high interest rate.

I have also been successful in the past Soggy with Nationwide but they are sticklers for refunding only once in a year.

They have a good mobile phone alert service which is not advertised well enough. It alerts if you over your limit and gives you up to 2.30pm that day to cover.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, well. I understand the banks will be made to ensure mobile phone alerts are sent to all bank account customers to make them aware of their balance and transactions and giving the chance to pay in by a certain time to correct and avoid fees and charges.

It's about time customers were protected more to avoid bank charges. Banks promote the ethos you are responsible but haven't actioned enough ways to help you do this in the busy unpredicable world we live in. The alert system is a good step in the right direction.

• 3 months later...

The txt alert service is flawed or by human design txt alerts are not being sent out when they should be. This of course is causing customers not to be advised money needs to be paid in to avoid charges. How are banks getting away with charging customers £15 and the transaction e.g is for £2! It's detrimental and a penalty or why is it done?