• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Phone Recyclers - no money, no phone, no response

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2659 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 21st October 2016 I entered into a contract with PhoneRecyclers whereby they offered to pay me £80.00 for a fully functional Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 LTE.

The device was posted to them on 25th October and I received an email from them on the 28th October claiming the phone was damaged and offering me £20.00.

This email went into my junk mail folder and I did not discover it until 7th November.

In their email they stated that my item had “LCD Bubbles” and “Dents all over the body” and offered me a reduced price of £20.

They also stated that if I was unhappy with the reduced offer to contact them immediately on the email address provided or call them on the number provided and they would cancel the order and send my item back to me.

(No mention of any fees for this). I disputed their evaluation on 7th November and requested that they cancelled my order and return my phone as per their instructions in the email they sent me.

They emailed me again on 9th November offering me a revised price of £26.00, which I also rejected, and instructed them to return my item to me again.

I got no response, so I emailed them on the 16th November asking for an update on my order, and again on the 17th November. They emailed me on the 18th November whereby they claimed they had tried to call me, but that they couldn’t get through. In this email they asked me to contact them on the number provided on their website to discuss my order.

I have tried repeatedly to call them on the number given, but this number continually tells me that all their advisers are busy and to email them, which I have also done repeatedly.

I emailed them on the 18th November stating that I had had no missed calls or voicemails and once again instructing them to cancel my order immediately and return my item to me.

They have emailed me again today asking me for a valid contact number so that you will try to contact me during working hours.

They have now been in possession of my Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 LTE since the 28th October 2016 and I now believe it is their intention to defraud me of its full worth by claiming that the screen was damaged. I have now asked them on four separate occasions to return my item and given them reasonable opportunity to do so.

They have ignored these requests. I emailed them last on 22/11/16 giving them 14 days to either pay the full amount or return my phone.

The 14 days are up today. No money has been paid, the phone has not been returned and they have not acknowledged my last email, let alone responded to it.

Has anyone successfully taken this company to court?

What steps should I take next?

Any help gratefully received.

First of all, please don't post solid blocks of text. Please put in proper punctuation spacing so that it makes it easier for people to help you. Otherwise it simply discourages people who otherwise would be prepared to spend time reading your story and supporting you.

On this occasion I've edited it for you.

I'm afraid that you've probably been had

Have a look at this forum and read stories there and you will start to understand http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?416-Cash4phones-DeviceBuyer-and-other-mobiles-to-cash-companies

Thanks for responding. Apologies for the poor presentation, there were breaks between paragraphs prior to hitting the submit button. I had already read a great number of posts on the link you gave me, which inspired me to add my own story to drum up other evidence specifically regarding the company calling themselves "Phone Recyclers". I have reported to Trading Standards in any case.

We spent years reporting Cash4phones to Trading Standards and no one ever took any notice. We reported it to Action Fraud and they refuse to take any information from us because we want ourselves the victims – even though we were speaking on behalf of lots of victims.

Action fraud generally seems to do nothing other than maybe gather some statistics. Trading standards now seems to have close themselves off and be inaccessible to the public and they see themselves as some kind of cloak and dagger operation. In fact if you want to get a message through to action fraud then apparently you have to do it through Citizens Advice. So far as I know, in order to speak to Citizens Advice and log a complaint, you have to make an appointment to go and see them. This may be wrong – please correct me.

In the end, it looked as if some action might just be about to have been taken in respect of Cash4phones when they went into liquidation. We know that there were at least £200,000 worth of debts. We know that there were also several thousands of unclaimed telephones which were then sold off by the administrator for a very cheap price and I believe that they went to somebody who is based in Cyprus. The people who are running the cash four phones [problem] were Cypriots.

Go figure.

Funnily, Citizens Advice just got back to me about another case I reported to do with secondary ticketing (I am having no luck online at the moment whatsoever). I will email them and see what the outcome is. Am not hopeful, but am not prepared to roll over and accept defeat yet. Thank-you for the info, it is appreciated.

What you could usefully do, if you have the time, is to trawl around the Internet and give them a one star review and let people know about what is going on. I'm sure that you're not the only victim – and I'm sure you won't be the last.

By the way, the MO is exactly the same as Cash4phones. I expect that they are the same people or some of the same people.