Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    Braveheart2009 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Dec 2009

Default RBS Account Termination Letter

Hi,

My bank has threatened me to set off my funds I hold with the bank current account and savings against any debt owed?

Can they do this legally without my say so or do they require approval from the court.

I don't hold bank accounts with any other creditors which I have credit cards, which is a good thing, however could those creditors access my bank account without my authority is that not a crime?

Letter attached.

Thanks.

Attached Images

Royalties Account Holder renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp's Avatar

Cagger since : Aug 2010

Default Re: RBS Account Termination Letter

If you owe a debt with them, then yes they can. However they can only do it within their own group of companies. So halifaxicon cant do it to coop etc.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

RBSicon are closing your card account down
    if you bank with them or anyone in their group
    then they can take the funds without any need to inform you

so the bottom line is...do you have any other accounts?

NEVER HIT REPLY WITH QUOTE..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data costs
    **DONATE AND HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS**
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Site Team maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52's Avatar

Cagger since : Jun 2006

One of the negative's with having more than one account with the same Banking group.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.
    If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    *RainbowTears* Highly informative *RainbowTears* Highly informative *RainbowTears* Highly informative *RainbowTears* Highly informative *RainbowTears* Highly informative *RainbowTears* Highly informative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

Gawd blimey your arrears are for 141.74 & they really going to terminate your account on that basis!!

Have you another account you can move your savings too? If not, then go open one & put your savings in there...

If this were me, that is what I would do whilst sorting out the issue with the RBSicon.

Hope you manage to get this sorted out!

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder has disabled reputation BankFodder's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2006

Blog Entries

Yes, there is a right of set off.

Although I expect they would never admit it, I also think that there is a duty of set off. If you have two accounts and one is in credit and one exceeds its overdraft, the bank will normally simply apply excessive charges to the overdrawn account without troubling to use credit in the other account to make up the shortfall.

This allows the bank to milk you for excessive charges and inflated interest by increasing your level of overdraft on the exceeded account.

I have always believed that if you have rights then they are accompanied by duties. I have always believed that if you have an account which passes overdraft limit then the bank has a duty to make up the shortfall from your account in credit rather than to push you even more over the edge. Of course, this is disadvantageous to the bank because they make less profit.

I'm convinced that if somebody troubled to bring an action under BCOBSicon on this that they would win easily. Under BCOBSicon the banks are obliged to have regard to the customers interests when making any decisions. It is clearly in the customers interest to take action to reduce their exposure to excessive charges. It is clearly in the banks interests simply to keep on penalising your overdrawn account.

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Braveheart2009 Novitiate

The bank refused to lower my monthly payments from 50 to 20. They also have refused to send me the original contract (not agreement) also refused to send me a deed of assignment and a bill of payments. They have also harassed me by calling my home phone number and sending threatening letters to a man diagnosed with anxiety.

They don't care about your interests really anyone who believes that is brainwashed. All banks and debt collectionicon agencies are insured against losses. In fact they make profits from your loss they sell your debt on and get a fee then they claim back from a insurance company on outstanding amount. They do pay a fee to these insurance companies however its peanuts for them.

Royalties Account Holder renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp's Avatar

Cagger since : Aug 2010

Youll never get a deed of assignment. Its private business information. I think youve been reading info from a FOTL site.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

get an SARicon running to them.

dx

NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    Braveheart2009 Novitiate

what could a SARicon do?

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative

Cagger since : Jun 2008

The bank refused to lower my monthly payments from 50 to 20
    they are supposed to take into account any financial difficulties. as bankfodder mentioned re BCOBSicon/CONCicon.
    a sum of
    https://www.lendingstandardsboard.or...difficulty.PDF

is the matter re the rep of ireland.

IMO

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart2009 View Post
    what could a SARicon do?

arm you with everything you might need to counter anything nasty that might happen

stay off those fmotl sites bh.
    they'll do you no good and only you make you look a fool in their eyes thinking you are a pushover freeman of the land.

dx

DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details