Benefits and self-employment

mackerel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. First please allow me to explain my situation. I am a full-time carer for my partner who has physical and mental disabilities, and as such is on PIP (standard daily living, standard mobility rates). He also gets ESA (Support group), which allows us to get Housing Benefit and council tax benefit. I also claim carers allowance for looking after my partner full-time.

We have been discussing my return to work - initially to supplement our income within the confines allowed by each benefit, but hopefully the work may grow so that we can come off of some of them altogether.

I will be a self-employed sole trader, initially only working about 10hrs a week / earning around £75 per week. I want to report my work to the DWP so everything is legitimate without risk of sanction.

I am looking for advice on how this will affect our benefits (i have booked an appointment at my local CAB office but it is several weeks away as they are so busy). In particular, how much am i able to earn before it affects certain benefits? If i work, will my partner still be able to claim ESA or will it go to income support (which i thought was being phased out?)? I have used the turntous calculator but the results do not seem to be right.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx?e2dwp=y

try this website, you can always book an appointment with a work coach at the jobcentre if the figures come out ok for you as you may be entitled to some help through the new enterprise allowance but only if you get the help before setting up the business.

https://www.gov.uk/new-enterprise-allowance