NHS Pension Problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

NHS Pension Problem

I have recently been TUPEE'd back to the NHS, April 2016, and was informed that because I had previously been with NHS, 2007-2013 and had opted to recieve my NHS pension when I left, I was not entitled to rejoin the NHS Pension Schemme. Subsequently, I was enroled on the goverment NEST pension scheme, which means my employer, NHS only pays into the scheme the minimum 1% contrubution. I have asked if they would increase my contributions to bring them in line with my colleagues but they have declined stating they have no obligations to increase their contributions. Any feedback would be helpful as to whether I have recourse or not. Thanks

in short, no. You can request to stop receiving the current pension and rejoin the scheme but it will not count as continuous service so the terms may well be different for the 2 parts.

How old are you? 6 years of pensionable service isnt a great deal so if you have a few years to build up a decent contribution it may be worth asking the pension trustee to make a decision to allow you to rejoin but there will be consequences if you have been taking a pension for the last 3 years. they should be able to give you a figure and that means you will need to compare the 2 options.

in short, no. You can request to stop receiving the current pension and rejoin the scheme but it will not count as continuous service so the terms may well be different for the 2 parts.

How old are you? 6 years of pensionable service isnt a great deal so if you have a few years to build up a decent contribution it may be worth asking the pension trustee to make a decision to allow you to rejoin but there will be consequences if you have been taking a pension for the last 3 years. they should be able to give you a figure and that means you will need to compare the 2 options.

Unfortunately, because I am currenty recieving my NHS pension, which started aged 59 Im now 62, I can not rejoin or transfer my current pension pot into any NHS pension scheme. Therefore they have enrolled me in the goverment Nest pension scheme which they contribute 1%. I have asked the NHS pensions advisor whether it would be possible to re-enter or whether they would be willing to contribute more but they have declined both options. Just wondering whether I would have any regress or possibility to procede further.

yes, go to the pension trustees. You will have to stop taking the pension being paid to you though so decide which makes you better off, losing the current payout and paying in for more in the future or drawing the pension and getting a bit from the stand alone pot. Dont forget, you can possibly cash that in after you stop working for the NHS anyway so effectively you get the same money paid to you tax free compared to just getting it as pay today (plus their contribution)

You cannot pay into a scheme that you are drawing a pension from. This is the main point so you have choices that involve NOT receiving the current pension but only the one offered that allows you to carry on taking this pension.