Council tax bills in large print or not

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2187 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's only taken them 20 months to tell me this.

I applied for council tax online in Feb last year and got a letter in standard size print. Ok, fair enough, there's no option for letters to be sent out in large print. I spoke to someone in the council and asked for my letters to be in large print. I was told this would happen.

It never has done.

I've asked every single time I've received a letter and have been told each time it would happen.

In August, I was told they had put something on my file stating that I needed my letters in large print which someone had missed. I was then told that they'd put a pop up on screen, which would mean you couldn't miss it.

I put in a complaint. The response was it's not possible to provide letters in large print because of the software used. But they then said "Whilst individual letters can be presented in a larger font size if they are copied to an application like Microsoft Word, this would only be possible if your claim was being reviewed by a Housing Benefit assessor."

I was told to print the letters out myself. But why should I? if I wasn't disabled, they'd send the letters to me in a format I could read.

Can you ask them if they are happy to receive letters from you in Braille?

No? "Then you better start sending the ones to me in large type, then!"

(Just so long as they aren't likely to call your bluff & 'make it Braille both ways!)

I couldn't find anything on their website about providing information in alternative formats, which is in striking contrast to other councils who seem to be able to provide anything you want in any suitable format.

I think you may have to go through the complaints process to try to get your council to comply with their obligations under the Equalities Act. Are you in touch with a charity or other organisation which supports people with your conditions, and if so, might they be willing to help/take it up for you?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I couldn't find anything either. I didn't know whether I was looking in the right place.

I have already complained and explained that what I am asking for is a reasonable adjustment under the Equalities Act. I was told it's not possible to get them done in large print and I'd have to print them off myself.

I've sent emails to the RNIB and the local hearing and sight centre to see what they say.

Bit odd how I've only had to ask everyone else (bank, DWP, Atos, etc) once and it's done.

They really are having a laugh.

Have a wee look at this link: http://web.plymouth.gov.uk/socialinclusion

On the above link Download their Our Commitment to Equality and Diversity PDF (go to the bottom of the very last page and read what is in Bold)

Also as they have a Public Sector Equality Duty have a look at this link: https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/public-sector-equality-duty-guidance

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I went in yesterday, again. I am confused and rather ****ed off. The lady I spoke to, said that other people have managed to get their letters in their preferred format. The letters sent out are automated and they supposedly can't do anything about the formatting.

I am still being told to sign up to the self service thing online and view my bills online. But why should I? You (a non-visually impaired person) has the choice; so why can't I?

I have now received a reply to my email. It's not their software; so they can't do anything. The software is owned by Capita and used by other LAs. Unless there's a big enough demand for large print, they (my LA / capita) can't justify looking into whether it's possible to print in large print.

I have now received a reply to my email. It's not their software; so they can't do anything. The software is owned by Capita and used by other LAs. Unless there's a big enough demand for large print, they (my LA / capita) can't justify looking into whether it's possible to print in large print.

The fact that it isn't there software is just trying to pass the buck, I would further reply stating that how they prefer to operate there software is no concern of yours and does not allow them to opt out of there responsibility..

If it's Capita then it's the Northgate SX3/iWorld system they use - it doesn't (or at least my local authority could never find it) have the facility to print in large print.

What they can do is to 'refer' the bill. This allows them to stop the demand going out directly and then pull a copy of if off the system. They can then amended as required to whatever font they wish to use or even just copy the data in to a large print template of the standard letter (we had several customers we would do it for).

Craig

This is a clear breach of the equality act. They have had loads of time to sort the system or find a workaround. If you are really annoyed you could try (edit). They are the only solicitors I know who are prepared to work disability discrimination cases on a no win no fee basis.

Hope you manage to get it sorted. Takes the micky,

Edited by Andyorch
Law Firm named removed

This is a clear breach of the equality act. They have had loads of time to sort the system or find a workaround. If you are really annoyed you could try (edit). They are the only solicitors I know who are prepared to work disability discrimination cases on a no win no fee basis.

Hope you manage to get it sorted. Takes the micky,

Hi, I am guessing that someone edited my post as it previously named a law firm. I don't think I got a notice to say it had been edited. Should I have received this and am I breaching some sort of rule by naming them? I figured that lots of posts name businesses and so it would be OK.

Hi, I am guessing that someone edited my post as it previously named a law firm. I don't think I got a notice to say it had been edited. Should I have received this and am I breaching some sort of rule by naming them? I figured that lots of posts name businesses and so it would be OK.

Hi,

Forum Rules state...

3.5 A thread/post will be edited or deleted if it contains:

c) Touting for business in any way – including the posting of customer recommendations.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have a read here >> http://www.un.org/disabilities/documents/convention/convoptprot-e.pdf a long but useful read....

'Article 2

Definitions

For the purposes of the present Convention:

“Communication” includes languages, display of text, Braille, tactile

communication, large print, accessible multimedia as well as written, audio,

plain-language, human-reader and augmentative and alternative modes, means

and formats of communication, including accessible information and

communication technology;'

Enjoy your read sorry for the length!

CONVENTION ON THE RIGHTS OF PERSONS.pdf

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

• 1 month later...

This still hasn't been sorted. They told me yet again they'd do; but I don't believe them. I've spoke to the RNIB again who sent me a template. I've sent my council an email using that.

I am seriously getting ****ed off now. Only been asking them to sort this for 26 months. Everyone else has managed to carry out this simple request; so why can't they?

Send a copy to your local MP. Ask them to see what they can do to obtain action from the council.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Remember the link I gave you in Post#9 about the Public Sector Equality Duty: https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/public-sector-equality-duty

I would also have a wee chat with them and inform them of the LA actions to date.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

This depends on how annoyed you are now. Quote PSED and section 20 of the Equality Act and UN CPRD and write to everyone . . . . but it sounds like they aren't listening. One more try? If your past that the only option would be legal.

I am not sure PSED is the way forward here. I think it means a Judicial Review to enforce it so rather expensive etc. Ditto, UN CPRD is not relevant until you exhaust the in country legal system because the UN CPRD doesn't place obligations directly on the council, it places obligations on our government to make sue the council delivers on the CPRD. There was a talking cash machine cash from hungry which was covered by the CPRD.

Its a much clearer case under section 20 (6) of the Equality Act. -http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/20 Using this section you could if successful get an injunction to force the council to provide information in suitable format and compensation.

Of course, all this is a load of hassle and stress for you in the first instance. That's why so many organisations just ignore these issues cross their fingers that people don't have the energy for court cases!

Best of luck with whatever route you take.