Care of Dependents leave authorised absence or unauthorised?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2753 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just wanted to check this for a friend. Care of Dependents leave would the employer classify this leave as authorised or unauthorised?.

Being a statutory right I would have thought its authorised?

Thanks for any help?

Assuming they met the notification requirements then it should be unpaid and authorised.

If it'sdependant leave that means notifying asap of the time required and taking the minimum time possible to make arrangements, rather than assuming care responsibilities yourself without exploring other avenues.

Assuming they met the notification requirements then it should be unpaid and authorised.

If it'sdependant leave that means notifying asap of the time required and taking the minimum time possible to make arrangements, rather than assuming care responsibilities yourself without exploring other avenues.

Thanks for the advice, exactly what I told her. She followed company notification procedure, but she's been told it's unauthorised and that if she has another day off in the next 3 months, she will be in a disciplinary, As she will have triggered the absence triggers.

But that would mean she was refused the Dependents leave?

what were the circumstances regarding the absence? and how much time off has already been taken?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

what were the circumstances regarding the absence? and how much time off has already been taken?

Child poorly couldn't go school, so mum had to stay home, so she followed the procedure in her employee handbook.

Took one day off, to look after and arrange care for rest of week.

then I agree with becky, authorised and unpaid.

I suspect a manager who hasn't had to use this policy before. I'd get hold of the company handbook or dependants leave policy and ask for clarification as if I were a bit daft - confrontation won't be helpful if this happens again.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

then I agree with becky, authorised and unpaid.

I suspect a manager who hasn't had to use this policy before. I'd get hold of the company handbook or dependants leave policy and ask for clarification as if I were a bit daft - confrontation won't be helpful if this happens again.

Will advise mum. Totally taken back by this as this is a massive company, and with it being a satatuory right.

Will advise mum. Totally taken back by this as this is a massive company, and with it being a satatuory right.

sometimes managers aren;t aware of the difference between absence and dependent leave so nudging them gently toward the policy fixes it all. here's hoping it's just someone ill informed!

sometimes managers aren;t aware of the difference between absence and dependent leave so nudging them gently toward the policy fixes it all. here's hoping it's just someone ill informed!

Thanks for your help. Just listening to mum sounds like it isn't someone who's ill informed, that's the scary thing. This looks serious. Will keep forum updated so it helps others.