Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Dec 2006

Default Re: Initial advice on partner's unsecured debts

had to remove those links MW
    that site and its 3 letter whip are very old and no longer relevant info.

dx

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder mollywobbles Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Thanks, dx, guess that answers my question about that as a possibility.

To answer the questions, all these are post apr 2007 and remain with original creditors for now.

And thanks to all for the advice, things are starting to look a little clearer now.

At the moment, it seems like f+f offers conditional on notices of full settlement would be the best way to go.
    Is it worth starting by asking for removal of defaults (although I fully understand & appreciate what the answer is likely to be, as outlined above)?

It seems at the moment probably not,
    given the unlikeliness of success,
    their sheer number and the fact that one is as bad as a whole bunch.

I should probably just accept that things are going to be tough in the credit department for a while,
    because that aside, it's not the end of the world.

In the event that those offers are rejected, the 1 payments will continue ad infinatum.

Our finances are set to be stretched ever further with the arrival of a first baby in 8 weeks,
    and any creditor would be a fool to not see the sense in accepting a sensible offer made.
    Would the 1s be enough to keep the debt with the original creditor?

I suppose before making those offers,
    we have to decide what price we are willing to pay for 6 yearsicon of peaceful living,
    in the knowledge that in paying everyone off,
    it's only the demands for payment that will go away,
    not the negative impacts of the defaults themselves.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks again all round...

Site Team fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee's Avatar

Cagger since : Oct 2011

No you haven't really missed anything, Im just glad you came to the right place for advice.
    No payments made to the OC will not affect their decision to bulk sell the debt to a DCAicon looking to make a buck.

If DCAs start hounding you then, dont worry, they are idle threats.

I started this thread a year or so ago, and received great advice.

In the end, we sent CCA requests to the creditors and I believe two sent responses.
    We didn't make any settlement offers.
    In fact we decided in view of the fact that the defaults would likely remain whatever we did to do absolutely nothing and see what happened next.

The baby is now 10 months old, and our housing situation is now secure
    - some family money has meant that a house is now owned outright in my sole name,
    for the time being we no longer need to concern ourselves with mortgageicon applications or credit checks for tenancies.

Obviously those maternity leave savings are long gone!
    However, we have been putting around 180 a month into savings,
    earmarked ideally for future unforeseen events
    but with the idea that they could be used to pay off anyone if that really becomes necessary.
    That figure currently stands at about 600, but will hopefully continue to grow now I'm back at work.

Obviously things have moved on from the creditors side and various threatening letters have started to arrive.
    The most recent today, from Lowell, who it appears have bought the shop direct debt (2487), which is entitled 'pre-legal assessment'.
    Do we need to be concerned by this?

From a quick search it would seem perhaps not, or at least not yet?
    I understand a claim formicon is the one thing that should not be ignored.

If that arrives though, what would happen next?
    The history of these debts would mean their becoming statute barredicon is still a long way off (5 years).
    Am I missing any other possible responses to a claim form that would have a positive outcome for him / us??

Any more advice would be appreciated.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

CCA Requesticon time if you get worried.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Site Team fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee Authoritative fkofilee's Avatar

Cagger since : Oct 2011

Hi Molly

Glad to hear life is on the up for you
    Did you ever get a response on a CCA from Lowells?

Sorry for the delay in responding. Life has got on top of me...

I've pasted this from further up the thread. CCAs were sent to all of them. I've noted what came back and where things are at now with each.

Capital One
    Date of default 09/05/16
    Default balance 566
    Current balance 562

Replied with 'a reconstituted copy of your original agreement'. This did include a scanned copy of the signature page. Returned on 12th October 2016. He got a letter recently saying that this has been passed on to Lowell.

Lloyds
    Date of default 10/06/16
    Default balance 1555
    Current balance 1553

Never replied to the CCA. Wrote this month to inform that they've sold the account to Robinson Way.

Barclaycard
    Date of default 01/08/16
    Default balance 590
    Current balance 589

Also never replied to the CCA. As far as I know, we've heard nothing from them.

An unsecured loan:

Madison CF UK (118 Money) - taken out 22/07/2014
    Opening balance: 2905
    Date of default 31/03/16
    Default balance 3630
    Current balance 3625

Didn't reply either. Again, nothing from them to my knowledge.

An account with some kind of 'buy-now-pay-later' catalogue

Shop direct finance
    This is showing as not in default - oddly,
    this is showing as no account information in recent months (since Stepchange got involved) on noodle
    Current balance 2493

He received a reply from this one, which said an application was made through their website using an online form and terms and conditions were accepted by ticking a box. A standard issue credit agreement has been printed off and enclosed. This is the account that has been passed to Lowell, and was the subject of the 'pre-legal assessment' letter I mentioned above.

The last token payments through stepchange were made in December of last year.

Is there any value in re-sending CCAs? Or should I just keep filing the letters away and hoping 5 more years will pass as the last one has?

Any advice welcomed.

I wold expect the lowells ones have been SOLD not passed on.
    so a CCA Requesticon on those two yes.

DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details