• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cabot chasing old Egg card 'debt'

Riggers0162
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post, so hello to all! after a difficult divorce I'm experiencing serious financial difficulties and having got into alot of debt im really struggling and seeking advice.

Today I received a letter from Cahot which on the surface it appears friendly but I'm not that daft, I'm just looking for advice on my first move.(before I make a huge mistake)

It's a debt for nearly £7000 on an egg credit card, they have obviously bought the debt.

They have written saying they have bought the debt and are responsible for helping me manage the account and receiving future payments.

The last payment I made was through an IVA (that failed when I went through divorce) 29th January 2015.

I'd be grateful of any advice on what my first move should be!

Many thanks in advance!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cabot do not enforce legit debts.

If it's egg then it's likely there's no cca and it's full of charges.

Otherwise egg would have took action themselves

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

full history please

when did you take it out

is this on your credit file?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Many thanks for the response so far, I can't find this on my credit file?

The last payment must have been through the Iva in 2014,

Sorry to be vague I will check the start of the Iva date etc and get back to you.

Thanks

Again

Sorry to be stupid but when you say full history what do you require?

I've just arrived home and the second letter has now landed asking me to call them and discuss a payment plan or come to a reduced payment of the outstanding balance, I take it they are just fishing???

Many thanks

When did you take the card out?

Are all your old addresses showing on credit file?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Its prob been defaulted years ago and has now dropped off

Defaulted debt can only show for 6yrs

If they keep threatening CCA request time me thing

and they

Anything else we can help with here?

You say all the debt?

and they

Yes there certainly will be :-( this weekend I'm speaking with stepchange and trying to get everything together,

my Iva failed in January 2015 and I've managed to keeps all at bay since then, but it's all coming to a head!

Just as I'm trying to get on with my new family after divorce trying to start a new beginning with my little girl, on top of the debt I have a mortgage shortfall of £70,000 (shared with my ex wife) who is currently ignoring the mortgage company.

Worrying times ahead!

But hopefully now with the helpful advice I can see on here I can battle through this.

Thanks

Again

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Having spent a months compiling a full list of my debts and speaking with stepchange,

I have been in two minds as what to do as I see no way out of this mess,

on top of that they advised I contacted two creditors acknowledging my debt and agreeing £1 a month payment!!!

I think now I've made a big mistake with these!!!??

I've just got so confused as what to do and what is right,

Stepchange appear very helpfully and over the last month or so have been helpful but not sure what they are advising is correct?

Now I have compiled my list I intend to start CCA request route with all of them other than the mortgage company and take it from there!

I wish I'd taken more time to view this site!

My question is

can I keep this thread and hope for help/advice on the responses I get or is there another method of asking for help?

To date Cabot have sent 7 very nice letters telling me they REaLLY want to help and can I call them, obviously they will be the first to receive a CCA.

Many thanks in advance.

we await your updates.

dx

and they

Hi,

Just before I send my letters,

two of my DCAs one which is Fredrickson International,

Stephange asked me to send a letter acknowledging the debt and offering £1 a month which I have started paying (big mistake) is it possible to still forward a CCA or have I got a problem now with these?

Again they do not appear on my credit reference file (which I have all previous addresses on) or do I need to approach these differently?

Also should I be sending price it letters or go struggle to the CCA.

Many thanks

Hi,

This is the letter I sent to two of the DCA's

The more I look at this I can't believe Stepchange thought this was the right way to go!

Dear Sir/Madam,

In acknowledge my of debt with you.

I have received advice from StepChange Debt Charity to help solve my debt problem.

I am currently renting and have no assets after my recent divorce which as a result I am in financial difficulties at the moment and not able to meet my normal monthly payments. I will make a monthly payment of whatever I can afford until more money is available.

I can provide a monthly budget and a list of creditors if you request. After paying my household bills, I can pay you £1 I will pay this each month and tell you when my circumstances change.

I will continue working with StepChange Debt Charity to improve my circumstances and find a more permanent solution to repay my debt. In the meantime, please consider reducing or stopping interest or any other charges on my account to help me during my financial difficulties.

I would appreciate acknowledgment of receipt of this email asap.

Yours faithfully

Feel a bit sick now!!!

Stop any payments and get the cca off. Let us know how it goes. Cabot rarely ever enforce legit debts and egg debts are usually unenforceable

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Yep. Cca is a legal request which forces them to put up or shut up. Prove it letter will start letter tennis.

It's very likely statute barred anyway.

Cabot tried to chase me for an egg debthe 2 months ago.

For a card that was taken out in 2004 and had one paymentry made

Going g just by cabots reply that you posted, the debt is junk. But no reason why you can't play with the. Especially when they're known to try court action if they think they can get a default judgement

That makes sense,

I've had 7 letters all appear to be fishing, nice tone NO threats just to say they are there to help offering me to pay in full,

an agreed monthly repayment or discount on my account!!!

Can see how many fall for this I nearly did lol

Thanks again

don't waste postage either

2nd class with free proof of posting is ok.

dx

and they

That makes sense, I've had 7 letters all appear to be fishing, nice tone NO threats just to say they are there to help offering me to pay in full, an agreed monthly repayment or discount on my account!!! Can see how many fall for this I nearly did lol

Thanks again

Haha 100% lemon debt then. You can either cca or just ignore them totally.