End of probationary period

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2797 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone help.

Relative starts job on 8th February with 6 months probation which by her calculation takes her probationary period to 6th August. She assumed after 6th August she had successfully completed her probation. She was informed around 18th August that she had got it wrong and that her probation would conclude at the end of this month. Last week they advised her that they would like a further 1 month extension to assess her. No letter explaining what she needs to do to improve nothing.

Her contract only states that she will have an increase in salary at the end of the successful 6 month period nothing about extending it.

I think there is some kind of failure here but correct me if I am wrong

She should have had a meeting around 6th August and not when they felt like it.

She should receive a "extension of probation letter" explaining what she has to do.

I know there is not much else she can do but it is galling to think that she thought as they had not contacted her around 6th August she had completed a successful probation.

I think they dont now want to pay her the increased salary and that by extending her probation they dont have to pay and she will leave

Any comments appreciated.

Need to know exactly what the contract says - word for word

However

A probationary period means absolutely nothing in law other than the right to the salary increase - it confers no more or less in terms of rights, and effectively every new starter is on a 2 year probationary period for it is only then that the employee has the right to take action for unfair dismissal for any matter other than dismissal for a protected characteristic.

Your relative has of course the right to ask for the reasons why her probation has been extended, or event to lodge a grievance, but as stated, without that 2 years of service, this could well see a hasty departure for any flimsy reason that the employer wants to use.

Best course of action is probably to ask for a meeting to ask whether there are any specific areas which require improvement and then to go hell for leather to make sure that the job is being done correctly and that there are good relationships with everybody around her - opinions of colleagues may well be sought when assessing the possibility of making a probationary employee 'permanent'

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thank you for your comments, she does know they might just say bye after this extension and now feels she cannot stay there anyway her contract says "you will be given a salary increase of £.... after 6 months successful probation which is what she thought she was getting in her August salary as nothing had been said until 2 weeks ago.

Don't get me wrong, I am on her side and think it appalling behaviour to not have dealt with any performance concerns well before the 6 months ended. To my mind this is a clear breach of contract, but whether to deal with it as such will always depend on thoughts of long-term harmony rather than making a short term point

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!