Storage/Removal company has misplaced my belongings

MSAR
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2807 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I home someone can help with this problem. Around December 2009, after finishing university I put some belongings in storage with Clockwork Removals in Edinburgh figuring I would have them transported once I started work again.

About a year ago, I requested that they send my items over to France. Then we discovered that these items (six packing boxes) had been "misplaced" when they moved to new premises in Granton.

I've been trying for a year to get my belongings returned or a refund (£65 x 12 months x 6 years = £5500 + value of belongings). Needless to say, Clockwork aren't cooperating. The first time, they asked if I could come up to their warehouse to help identify my belongings. Second time they said they had found my four chairs. Third time, they refuse to talk.

It looks like I am having to go legal on this one?

Yes, it does seem to be extraordinary behaviour from Clockwork Removals http://www.clockworkremovals.co.uk/

Clearly, on the basis of what you say there will be no problem winning a claim if you have to go to court. What interests me is what damages you can claim for. What is the value of the lost items?

You say that you want to get a refund either for the storage costs or for the value of the goods. I agree that you certainly couldn't have both. However, it may be that you are only entitled to the value of the lost goods. What is their value? Have you got a full inventory of the items?

concur, they will be obliged to put you back in your original position so replacement value of lost items.

If you can show they knew the items were missing by a certain date then they havent given you the service you paid for after they went missing so refund of those storage fees should be claimed as well so when did they move premises?

• 2 weeks later...

About a year ago, I tried to get my belongings out of storage (August 2015), by sending them notification of my new address in France. Then they had a major panic attack. They had relocated their facilities to Granton in Edinburgh in March 2015 and, they couldn't find my belongings. They lost two general managers over this.

Had a phone call yesterday from their Glasgow manager who is taking over Edinburgh. I've been told that they are going to write off my belongings as "lost" if they can't be found in the next two weeks.

Mostly they were anything that I couldn't take onboard an airplane for being too fragile, bulky or heavy. Kitchenware, towels, academic books/papers, PC components/electronics. Some things included a Micromark Colour Camera (SCART connector), Hauppauge WinTV satellite card.

As they are member of of the British Association of Removers have a look at this link on BAR Code of Practice: http://www.bar.co.uk/index.php/about-bar/bar-code-of-practice/

Note: Look to the right of the webpage of the above link specifically the downloads may be of interest.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they are there. I did look once before and they weren't there. This could get interesting. I've sent an enquiry. Thanks for this advice.

I've had to put down another £195 pounds to stop my belongings from being "auctioned off". One box contained kitchen ware, another contained bed linen. I know another box contained all my university textbooks from doing a PhD at Edinburgh (Supercomputing, parallel processing, computer graphics, visualisation). It does seem a bit suspicious that these items should "disappear" when I try to send them to France.