• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Minicredit/Kapama Limited (The Battle!)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2830 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

New to the CAG and really need some experienced help with my ongoing battle with this company.

I first submitted a Formal Complaint against Opos Limited in January 2016. This went to the Financial Ombudsman after I disagreed with their final response. The adjudicator advised that where Opos Limited is the debt collector and Kapama is the debt owner, he didn't think Opos Limited's collection practices were wrong, but he did advise me to send in a second complaint to Kapama about irresponsible lending.

The original loan was for £100.00, and with charges etc. it ended up at £300.50. This is where things get interesting...

I made a payment to Opos back on the 18th October 2014 for £149.45. When I looked at my credit report on Noddle, the 'Account Default Date' for this Minicredit loan was exactly the same I made a payment to Opos. When the adjudicator questioned them on this, apparently that date was incorrect and Minicredit defaulted me in November 2012. Please bear in mind that I actually took out the Minicredit loan in July 2013 so this definitely isn't correct!

Anyway, to resolve the first complaint we agreed a settlement of £100.00 which I paid in full two days after the adjudicators decision. This was 22nd April 2016. Around the same time I sent the second complaint to Kapama for irresponsible lending.

On receipt of my second complaint, Opos's Compliance Manager sent me an email on the verge of bribery saying that IF I withdrew my second complaint, she would remove the footprint of this loan from my credit file as a way of resolution. I got in touch with the adjudicator at the FOS about what they offered and he said he is personally going to call them and say it's unacceptable.

Their compliance manager said she was going to update my credit file within 28 days since the settlement was received. I check on my credit report at the end of April and there is now new information... Account Default Date is 17th December 2013 with the account showing a balance of £51.45 outstanding? As you can imagine I am now fuming with this. So I phone them, and they make up some sorry excuse that they never received the settlement form (despite having an email from their compliance manager saying the account is settled). When I mentioned court they hung up on me so I emailed them with a furious message.

I haven't been satisfied from the beginning that Minicredit defaulted me in the first place, so now I have opened a case with the Information Commissioners Office which they are investigating.

On Wednesday 15th June 2016, I received a final response to my second complaint. This time they offered to refund around £50.00 as a gesture of goodwill and decided not to uphold my complaint. (I believe this is very weird considering they had already offered to remove the default without looking further into the complaint and have now offered a refund). They also said that they updated my credit file information through Callcredit and that this is not the same as Noddle and the information may not have shown on Noddle as it takes longer to update. I have not accepted this and again have put it in to the FOS. In response to their Final Complaint I asked a series of questions regarding the default, dates and why they have offered me the above but not upheld my complaint. They responded that they will liaise with the FOS and did not answer any of my questions.

Yesterday I decided that I would pay for a subscription to Callcredit (Credit Compass) to see what my file on there shows in regards to this default seeing as this is where they say the updated the information. After looking everywhere for this account, it is NOT on there. Not in settled or outstanding. So I emailed the Compliance Manager again and said that this account is nowhere to be found and yet this is where they supposedly updated the information, and not through Noddle. She emailed me back with a screenshot of her computer with the screen showing my file details with the '£0' balance etc. (I think this could have been a big mistake for them) On that screenshot it shows Account Details 'May 2015 to April 2016'. It also looks like the boxes are available for them to amend themselves! I thought that they notified CRA's to enter personal information like that, I'm not sure if creditors are allowed to do this and are able to amend information freely themselves?

What I really need some advice on is surely if Minicredit defaulted me, it would be a case of a name change on the account on my credit file back in 2013 or whatever date they supposedly defaulted me. Minicredit passed over their accounts in December 2014 and on that screenshot they're showing account details from May 2015!? I have phoned Callcredit and they asked me to send a copy of the default showing on Noddle, as well as copy of that screenshot they sent me. I have also fowarded this on to the ICO and FOS.

I really apologise for the huge essay but I would like to share my story about these companies to you all. I would advise everyone that has had a default from this company to check the dates etc. If anyone can give me some advice I'd really appreciate it as I'm willing to go all the way with this. I've attached the screenshot for all of you to see. I have loads of emails for evidence and the responses so if you need to see them please let me know. I have probably missed a few things out but this is the main part of it all.

Screenshot.jpg

Thanks

Edited by Camie

Hi and welcome to CAG.

First of all, stay off the phone unless you are able to record it. You don't need to tell them they are being recorded.

All companies that use credit reference agencies have access to their systems and this is usually updated automatically once per month.

There is a company called Clearscore that have access to Equifax files except this is free. Noddle uses Callcredit info in their free service.

Rather than paying monthly, I would send a standard request (costs £2) to Experian, Equifax and Callcredit for your statutory report. This would give you all the info needed.

As for Kapama, so long as they remove any trace of this loan and default/late payment markers alongside a genuine offer of compensation then that should put an end to it but by going backwards and forwards through the Ombudsman i just going to confuse matters even more

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi and welcome to CAG.

First of all, stay off the phone unless you are able to record it. Youdon't need to tell them they are being recorded.

All companies that use credit reference agencies have access to their systems and this is usually updated automatically once per month.

There is a company called Clearscore that have access to Equifax files except this is free. Noddle uses Callcredit info in their free service.

Rather than paying monthly, I would send a standard request (costs £2) to Experian, Equifax and Callcredit for your statutory report. This would give you all the info needed.

As for Kapama, so long as they remove any trace of this loan and default/late payment markers alongside a genuine offer of compensation then that should put an end to it but by going backwards and forwards through the Ombudsman i just going to confuse matters even more

Hi Silver fox,

The trouble is, Kapama haven't agreed to remove the default or refund interest and charges. They only offered around a £50 refund as a gesture of goodwill as they know that I was using other payday lenders around that time. They haven't accepted liability for irresponsible lending in their Final Response even though they previously offered the removal of the default without looking into the complaint. They're not willing to offer anything else..

Push with the fos. Get it up to ombudsman level not with the silly adjudicators

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Push with the fos. Get it up to ombudsman level not with the silly adjudicators

Hi Renegadeimp,

I am trying as hard as possible to get this resolved. I am getting really frustrated with this company as they say one thing one minute and something else the next. These are the questions I asked them after receiving their latest final response:

Why was the default date on my credit file the same date I made a payment to Kapama Limited? (14/10/2014)

Why did you give an adjudicator at the Financial Ombudsman service a date of 01st November 2012 as the default date when questioned on this?

Why have you now changed my credit file to a default date of 17th December 2013?

Was a default notice even served in the first place? If so, please send me proof of this which has come from the original lender.

Why was I offered a removal of this default in a previous email and you have now decided not to uphold my complaint but refund £50 as a gesture of goodwill?

Why was my credit report not updated with accurate information within 28 days? As you stated, you had until the 20th May 2016 to update the information. The only information you updated was that I made a payment and changed the default date. The CRA report shows that you have not updated my file since the 01st April 2016 and it is now 15th June 2016. Any new changes would have shown up on May's report unless you are blaming the CRA now?

Why are you still under the impression that the account is not settled when this has been confirmed by yourself in an email? The default should have shown as settled when you manually*updated the account on the 22nd April 2016?

The response I got was 'I updated your credit file on the 22nd April 2016, please see the screenshot attached. This is the most real-time check I can give you'. And that was pretty much it! I'm not sure if this company is allowed to add the default on my credit file even though Minicredit never did?! The start date on that screenshot says May 2015. Kapama took over the accounts from Minicredit in December 2014. If Minicredit did default me, this would show the account from 2013 with all the details and the name simply changing from Minicredit to Kapama. This is a new entry from May 2015...

Hi All,

I'd also like for everyone to look at the FCA document issued to Minicredit/Microcredit. I can't post the link unfortunately..

In particular look at Sections 6, A & B.

Surely if the account has been added from May 2015 on my credit file on Noddle, this completely goes against what the FCA has said in that document in regards to transferring my account? In Section B it states that Minicredit have to notify Callcredit within 3 days that the debt has been written off and the account is settled. Yet on my Callcredit report there is no mention of them anywhere in the first place?

The more I look into this, the more concerned I'm becoming. I don't believe Kapama have been acting within the law/guidelines at all.

Have you actually been escalated to an ombudmsan in the FOS yet, or are you just going round in circles with the adjudicator and Minimuppets?

Opos, minicredit, kapama are the same company. Ran by the same people. They dont follow the law, which is why you see all the bogus charges added on, plus the silly little games theyre playing now.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi Renegadeimp,

As they only submitted their Final Response to me on Wednesday just gone, I was so angry that I only started to get the ball rolling again yesterday. After receiving the screenshot from Kapama, I forwarded it all to the adjudicator at FOS as well as my case officer at the ICO yesterday. The Adjudicator I'm in contact with dealt with my initial complaint with Kapama, and he is also dealing with my complaints against other Payday Lenders.

I'm not sure if I'm able to bypass the adjudicator and ask for this particular complaint to go straight to an Ombudsman?

Tell FOS you want it escalated. SOME adjudicators arent worth dealing with and will just have you run in circles purely because they are either busy or cant be bothered dealing with you.

Escalate it to the ombudsman and provide details info of what has happened. Dont waffle, they want straight forward accurate details.

Also PLEASE make sure you inform the FCA as well. As they are well and truely flouting law and regulation.

I don't think I have an actual Ombudsman's email address, otherwise I would just send all of the emails & correspondence in PDF directly to them. I think emailing the adjudicator and asking him to just forward it to an Ombudsman without an initial decision is probably the best route to get this higher up? Everything they would need including the latest response/emails I have sent to the adjudicator so this should be in my case file..

I will also report them to the FCA. I'm grateful that you have confirmed that what they are doing is unlawful, thank you for your advice. Would it be likely that this is found in my favour? If it's the case that Kapama should never have put the default on there in the first place, they have ultimately been damaging my credit report for over a year!

You tell the adjudicator you want it escalated iirc/

Ok I will send the adjudicator an email and ask for it to be escalated. Will let you know of any responses I receive from the ICO, FOS and FCA when they contact me. Thanks

Hold off a bit. As this is a totally separate complaint to the original one (or is it?) then the process needs to go on first. Only when an adjudicator has offered a resolution that you don't agree with, the Ombudsman will get involved.

Having said all that, if this is a continuation of the first complaint then you can ask for somebody more competent to review it

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Hi silverfox,

The first complaint has been closed as it was in regards to Opos collection practices. The second complaint is the one where these latest developments have taken place with regards to irresponsible lending. The adjudicator hasn't seen the final response or the emails yet that I know of for the second complaint. I'm wondering now whether I should put in a third complaint with regards to my credit file even though this has been brought up in their latest final response?

You can update the adjudicator with the latest info and any response from Kapama that the FOS haven't seen as yet. This is normal practice.

With your credit file, this has already been brought up and will likely be addressed when the response comes to you.

OK thanks for the advice. I believe I'm correct in what I am saying and hopefully the FOS agrees. May need more assistance on their decision and my options which you can hopefully help me with. Will wait for the adjudicator to come back to me and let you know their response.

we'll be here to help. Just be aware the FOS does tend to drag their heels. Minicredit/kapama know this as do other creditors which is why they do anything to drag it out hoping you give up.