Hasting Direct windscreen cover WARNING

barrydoran
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1912 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a warning to people about breaking your windscreen whilst on holiday, especially if your insured through Hastings Direct

So you have Windscreen cover in your policy and you also have breakdown cover with another party. Hence you feel you have all options covered. WRONG.

A Broken windscreen is not a breakdown so your breakdown company will be powerless to help. Obviously all Inurance companies use third parties for Windscreen replacements / repair.

However the amount they pay the third party determines how helpful the third parties are with regards to scheduling your replacement.

How does Five days sound? too long? I thought so too,

I cancelled the booking and rang the alternative of the two third parties.

They never called back to arrange a time, I waited over 24 hours before calling them to cancel.

Calling hastings at the weekend is useless as the Windscreen team don't work weekends.

Having to be back at work the Monday I left the car on a residential street for a week,

paid my own travel home and back to the car.

Hastings offer a maximum of £95 if you use an alternative non affiliated company.

This is when I found out How the windscreen companies regard Hastings Direct.

They dont like working for them because they pay the lowest rates.

That's what I was told be several independant fitters.

I arranged to have the screen repaired at a time convenient to me on my return to the car.

Something Hastings affiliates could not do.

If you think this is a rant, it just so happens I had a friend renewing his insurance whilist this was ongoing.

He was going to go with hastings and decided to question them on this matter before proceeding.

His words were "Your totally stuffed".

Its not a breakdown, and you have to accept the response time from the affiliated companies.

in other words Hastings know the response times will be unnaceptable to most people,

hence they will opt to go independant and receive only £95 rather than hastings fork out the full cost.

I have just cancelled my renewal with Hastings.

Be sure to check what Windscreen cover actually means, yes your covered, but what is the response time.

Even if the car is sitting on your drive, five days is a long time to make alternative travel arrangements for. Let alone if your away on Holiday. T

his probably applies to All insurance companies so double check.

This is not unique to Hastings.

Last time i had a windscreen damaged, had to book it in with local Autoglass centre which was an appointment 3 days later. The service to replace at home or work was about 5 days.

Most Insurers have a contract with one glass company and they might not offer a quick service where your car is.

Something people might wish to check when arranging cover. What glass cover is provided and is any emergency repair guarantee offered ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 years later...

Insuring a car is easy. Getting the right* cover is the hardest part.

* - right for you, in the sense that the proposer takes reasonable steps to make you aware of all the salient points of that cover so that you can make an informed decision before [policy] inception. This way you know exactly what will happen in the event of a claim scenario.

I would have thought that a broken windscreen makes the car unroadworthy so the breakdown company would take it to your address or closest repair garage.

Obviously I'm wrong, or not?

Then it would be an Unroadworthiness Cover not a Breakdown Cover :-D

FWIW the AA define Breakdown this way:

‘Breakdown’
means an event:

a) which causes the driver of the relevant vehicle to be unable to start a journey in the vehicle or involuntarily brings the vehicle to a halt on a journey because of some malfunction of the vehicle or failure of it to function; and

b) after which the journey cannot be commenced or continued safely or without further concern in the relevant vehicle.

A broken windscreen isn't a "malfunction"

I think a cracked windscreen would fall under this:

an event:

a) which causes the driver of the relevant vehicle to be unable to start a journey in the vehicle

And

b) after which the journey cannot be commenced or continued safely

Can you safely drive with a cracked windscreen?

thread is coming up for 3yrs old gentlemen...

why bump it GM just to comment?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thread is coming up for 3yrs old gentlemen...

why bump it GM just to comment?

dx

I found it after a Google search on a similar matter I'm helping someone with; seems pointless to start a new thread so given it was indexed via an internet search thought I'd update this one for relevancy.