style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK - here is my tale of woe (I hope that I don't get too many sniggers - and it may seem a bit long, but I wanted to give some background!).

Waaaaaaaaaay back when Maggie was introducing "trickle down" as a way of enriching her cronies, the government was encouraging us to transfer to personal pensions. Now I was but a callow youth at the time, still living with my mum, and (mostly) believed what the people in charge said - so that's what I did...

In the intervening years I have had the usual ups and downs that we all seem to have - marriage, divorce, births, deaths, redundancies etc etc.

Now comes my problem - a few years ago my mum became very frail - and, in fact, was just starting to show the early signs of dementia. Because of this, myself and my then partner moved her into our house. We brought all of her papers with her (all unsorted and stored in boxes).

Unfortunately my relationship with my partner couldn't stand the strain with mum in the house, and we broke up. About a year later my mum died - and so I had to go through all of her stuff. I discovered some of my old paperwork amongst her effects, but not very much.

A bit later, due to redundancy, I had to sell that house but, by that time (10 years ago) I had met a charming lady who lived some way away - and she invited me to move in with her - and we've been living together ever since.

OK so far.

I am now approaching my 55th birthday and have recently got a few "have you thought about what you are going to do with your pension" type of letters from various sources. It was only then that I realised, to my horror, that I had absolutely no idea about that pension that I had set up - the paperwork was nowhere to be found at my mother's. I don't even know what company I took the damn thing out with.

Is there any way (some central register or something) that would allow me to find out?

Nope - it was an "opt out" pension - I didn't actually see anything myself apart from statements once in a while - but these would have gone to my mum's address and, it seems, she didn't bother to keep them.

Hello there.

If you had the type of personal pension that took your SERPS rebates, then the DWP should know who they sent the contributions to.

HB

I looked at their site - seems that you have to put the pension company name in (as far as I can see).

Have you tried the Pensions Advisory Service ?

I did do a search for "finding lost pension scheme" and found another outfit that claims to find your pension. I'll not name them as they claim to be a "social enterprise" which often means that there will be charges involved. If you do use one of these types of services, always ask what fees they charge.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

• 2 weeks later...

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread