Swap pet insurance away from More Than or Tesco

ImReallyAnElf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

More Than & Tesco are about to shaft pet insurance customers even more than other insurers.

It's bad enough having to pay a huge excess AND a further 20% if your animal is over 8 years old,

which is what happens with Virgin & why I'm about to leave them

- now we're being forced by More Than & Tesco to treat our animals like trashed cars

- change your insurer if you're with one of them.

(I currently have 2 with More Than and am hugely disappointed because til now they were a good insurer.)

They are going to charge £200 for using the "wrong vet" :

their deals limit families to 28 approved centres in the whole of the UK,

only 2 of which are in Scotland!!!!! :mad2:

Check what Insurance your Vets practice offers.

Gven the cost of pet claims, i think a lot of Insurers will withdraw from the market.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

More Than & Tesco are about to shaft pet insurance customers even more than other insurers.

It's bad enough having to pay a huge excess AND a further 20% if your animal is over 8 years old,

which is what happens with Virgin & why I'm about to leave them

- now we're being forced by More Than & Tesco to treat our animals like trashed cars

- change your insurer if you're with one of them.

(I currently have 2 with More Than and am hugely disappointed because til now they were a good insurer.)

They are going to charge £200 for using the "wrong vet" :

their deals limit families to 28 approved centres in the whole of the UK,

only 2 of which are in Scotland!!!!! :mad2:

It would be deliciously ironic to use RSA's (Who own More Than & also provide the Tesco Pet Policy) own court case against them...

http://fenchurchlaw.co.uk/coles-v-hetherton-implications-for-recovery-actions/

• Confused 1

Sainsbury's is the worst for upping the premiums every year... mine started out at £18 five years ago and is now around £50! I've just cancelled the insurance as they have refused my claim for treatment and I can't afford to pay both the insurance premiums AND the £50+ per month for meds... I believe some vets have a system wherby they can arrange a loan for expensive treatment... sounds better than paying rip off insurers! TB

• Confused 1

Sainsbury's is the worst for upping the premiums every year... mine started out at £18 five years ago and is now around £50! I've just cancelled the insurance as they have refused my claim for treatment and I can't afford to pay both the insurance premiums AND the £50+ per month for meds... I believe some vets have a system wherby they can arrange a loan for expensive treatment... sounds better than paying rip off insurers! TB

I think M&S are probably one of the worse for upping their premiums every year.

I have 2 dogs a 10 year old Goldie and a 5 year old JR. The last premium increase for the GR was about 33% it was nearly £200.00 per month. I had already reduced the level of cover to basic in order to keep the premiums down. Both dogs are what are apparently called 21st century creatures.. allergic to almost everything that a dog would come in to contact with. They both have allergy jabs every month. Whilst the GR has had one or two serious operations, looking at the bills submitted to the Insurer it still worked out that they were absolutely quids in. As she is now over 9, I would have had to pay 20% of the cost of any treatments and if she died from natural causes they would give me a £100.00 contribution to those costs !!

I have now come to an arrangement with the vet where I give them half the last insurance premium every month to take care of the jabs and I then put the rest of it in to a Credit Union savings account for her. My vet also has their own insurance which provide for discounts on all items not covered by insurance - provides their worming and flea treatments for free and also provides for 2 x free check ups each year. This can be paid yearly, quarterly or monthly and at least gives a lot of owners a basic cover for treatment.

I will keep the younger JR covered with M&S mainly because he is very active - however, if his premiums shoot up as they did for the GR then he too will have his own savings account !

I suspect with the increase of available treatments for domestic pets, insurers will either want to come out of the lifetime cover or simply not want to insure pets at all.

I think M&S are probably one of the worse for upping their premiums every year.

I have 2 dogs a 10 year old Goldie and a 5 year old JR. The last premium increase for the GR was about 33% it was nearly £200.00 per month. I had already reduced the level of cover to basic in order to keep the premiums down. Both dogs are what are apparently called 21st century creatures.. allergic to almost everything that a dog would come in to contact with. They both have allergy jabs every month. Whilst the GR has had one or two serious operations, looking at the bills submitted to the Insurer it still worked out that they were absolutely quids in. As she is now over 9, I would have had to pay 20% of the cost of any treatments and if she died from natural causes they would give me a £100.00 contribution to those costs !!

I have now come to an arrangement with the vet where I give them half the last insurance premium every month to take care of the jabs and I then put the rest of it in to a Credit Union savings account for her. My vet also has their own insurance which provide for discounts on all items not covered by insurance - provides their worming and flea treatments for free and also provides for 2 x free check ups each year. This can be paid yearly, quarterly or monthly and at least gives a lot of owners a basic cover for treatment.

I will keep the younger JR covered with M&S mainly because he is very active - however, if his premiums shoot up as they did for the GR then he too will have his own savings account !

I suspect with the increase of available treatments for domestic pets, insurers will either want to come out of the lifetime cover or simply not want to insure pets at all.

Yep… sounds sensible! I have cancelled my policy… I need that money to pay for my dog's treatment. I am in discussions about a vaccine… apparently there needs to be an allergy test first, although I'm not sure that's entirely true, plus it costs around £300! Do the monthly jabs work… ? Could you tell me more, please? He had a steroid injection a week ago and hasn't scratched once… Hmmmm… Off to pop him in the bath now. TB

Yep… sounds sensible! I have cancelled my policy… I need that money to pay for my dog's treatment. I am in discussions about a vaccine… apparently there needs to be an allergy test first, although I'm not sure that's entirely true, plus it costs around £300! Do the monthly jabs work… ? Could you tell me more, please? He had a steroid injection a week ago and hasn't scratched once… Hmmmm… Off to pop him in the bath now. TB

Yes, we had the tests done first to see what they were allergic to. We thought perhaps if it was something we could avoid then they might not have to have the jabs.

JR is allergic to grass - wheat/corn - dandelion seed heads - house dust mites

GR is allergic to house dust mites - dry air caused by central heating.

The allergy jabs do work and yes the initial tests can be quite expensive - between £300 - £500. It can however take up to 2 years for the stuff to work. The vaccine can only be purchased from one place - I cant remember whether it is Holland or Germany. I will find out more detail - name of vaccine/supplier etc on Tuesday which is their next visit. I believe our vet orders a 6 month supply which comes in individual units which they store in a fridge - I think that is about £300.00. You can save money by injecting the dog yourself. I wouldn't be able to do that, so we do get charged a fee each month on top of the vaccine.

My 8 1/2 year old German Shepherd has allergies that result in horrible "hot spots" that irritate him like mad - he used to get antibiotics and steroids, but they only worked for a short period, weren't very good for him long term, and cost a fortune of course at the vet. I somewhat sceptically bought a trial pack for £14.99 of a product that was originally sold for horses who get "sweet itch - an allergy to midge bites that leaves them raw and broken skinned.) It's called Stinky Stuff and consists of a shampoo - which I haven't yet tried - a carrier oil and gunky stuff to mix with it. It cleared his hot spot in 24 hours. I kid thee not. And the bonus was, after I'd given him an hour with a muzzle on so he couldn't lick it off til it had sunk in, when I removed the muzzle he showed no signs of feeling any irritation. I'm now converted to the point that my ponies are all going to be covered in the stuff this summer too!

My 8 1/2 year old German Shepherd has allergies that result in horrible "hot spots" that irritate him like mad - he used to get antibiotics and steroids, but they only worked for a short period, weren't very good for him long term, and cost a fortune of course at the vet. I somewhat sceptically bought a trial pack for £14.99 of a product that was originally sold for horses who get "sweet itch - an allergy to midge bites that leaves them raw and broken skinned.) It's called Stinky Stuff and consists of a shampoo - which I haven't yet tried - a carrier oil and gunky stuff to mix with it. It cleared his hot spot in 24 hours. I kid thee not. And the bonus was, after I'd given him an hour with a muzzle on so he couldn't lick it off til it had sunk in, when I removed the muzzle he showed no signs of feeling any irritation. I'm now converted to the point that my ponies are all going to be covered in the stuff this summer too!

:lol: This sounds quite interesting. Does it stink ?

The vaccine is called Artuvetrin.

This link gives you a bit more information. http://www.alk-abello.com/veterinary/Veterinary/alkcontact/Pages/SectionFront.aspx

It is only available from the supplier/manufacturer in the Netherlands.

Hope this helps :)

Wow… how interesting! I've had ponies all my life, never, thank goodness, had one with sweet itch… I wonder how it works? TB

The vaccine is called Artuvetrin.

This link gives you a bit more information. http://www.alk-abello.com/veterinary/Veterinary/alkcontact/Pages/SectionFront.aspx

It is only available from the supplier/manufacturer in the Netherlands.

Hope this helps :)

Many thanks for the link… I shall go and have a look… The only vaccine I know about is called RESPIT… Trouble is, dogs are not just allergic to one thing only, so testing will give a rough idea of possible irritants...sounds as if we are in this for the long haul, then! TB

Many thanks for the link… I shall go and have a look… The only vaccine I know about is called RESPIT… Trouble is, dogs are not just allergic to one thing only, so testing will give a rough idea of possible irritants...sounds as if we are in this for the long haul, then! TB

Yes, that is why the vaccines are individually produced. Both my dogs have 2 or 3 major allergies, with lots of minor issues.

Yes, that is why the vaccines are individually produced. Both my dogs have 2 or 3 major allergies, with lots of minor issues.

Yes… the RESPIT one is regional, according to where you live and taking into account those allergens specific to your location, apparently…

So, do you carry on with other remedies such as steroids, shampoos, etc., alongside the vaccines? Otherwise, if they take 2 years to have effect, the dog would be scratching itself to ribbons in the meantime... TB

Yes… the RESPIT one is regional, according to where you live and taking into account those allergens specific to your location, apparently…

So, do you carry on with other remedies such as steroids, shampoos, etc., alongside the vaccines? Otherwise, if they take 2 years to have effect, the dog would be scratching itself to ribbons in the meantime... TB

We carried on with the steroids only when the rash started up - we had a spray - cortavance and a special shampoo. One thing I did find effective was to wash their feet after walking them on grass - especially if it had just been cut. That way they didn't carry the grass seed / cuttings to their fur when they did scratch. Also brushing after their walk helped. I still do this.

We carried on with the steroids only when the rash started up - we had a spray - cortavance and a special shampoo. One thing I did find effective was to wash their feet after walking them on grass - especially if it had just been cut. That way they didn't carry the grass seed / cuttings to their fur when they did scratch. Also brushing after their walk helped. I still do this.

Ha… Bertie is always covered in mud when he gets home… he likes to roll in fox poo, too if I don't stop him in time… so it's usually a bath rather than brushing… I really don't think it's connected to grass as it's worse in winter… I really believe it's a dust mite thing, which of course, no amount of feet washing will help as the stuff is in the home all the time…it would be interesting to find out, though, but I am worried about the ongoing costs, what with continuing with the current treatment as well as the vaccine… I have an extremely low income… I am going without as it is, just so he can receive his meds and worming, etc… :-( TB

Indorex Spray - It is a control for both house dust mites and fleas The directions are that you spray on bedding, carpets and soft furnishings - although I only spray it round the skirting board areas. Pets shouldn't be in the room when you spray and you need to ventilate the room after spraying for about an hour.

One thing I did find effective was to wash their feet after walking them on grass

It's a great tip, I hose my dog off after being on grass especially during summer (seed season). If it makes a difference it's pretty good evidence of sensitivity and a sensible next step is to choose grain free food.

Indorex Spray - It is a control for both house dust mites and fleas The directions are that you spray on bedding, carpets and soft furnishings - although I only spray it round the skirting board areas. Pets shouldn't be in the room when you spray and you need to ventilate the room after spraying for about an hour.

I have no carpets or curtains and the sofas are leather… the only soft furnishings are some feather cushions which I put in the freezer over night… the floor is hoovered and damp mopped… I don't like chemical sprays and try not to use household chemicals as much as possible. their bedding is Three Peaks with hypo allergenic covers and I drape a boiled sheet over other sleeping areas…I am really trying hard to sort this out… but some dogs just itch, whatever you do… I have a friend who swears by putting rock sulphur in the water, but I thought dogs were sensitive to sulphur… Hmmm… trial and error, I suppose. TB

http://www.myitchydog.co.uk/harvestmites.html

Interesting article on Harvest Mite spiders

http://www.lintbells.com/articles/harvest-mites-in-dogs-and-cats#.VwjCn2b2ZZU

It would appear there is no effective treatment produced in the UK :(

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Spider-Mites

This one uses natural remedies to get rid of spider mites, but would appear to be just for plants !