my 4 month husky pup onlead was attacked by 2 fully grown off lead mastiffs - need advise

skyee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my partner and his friend had our 4 month husky bitch out on a walk in a public park area just down the road as always she was on lead it was pretty dark and out of nowhere 2 Bull Mastiffs (off lead) attacked her cause sever injuries to her back left outer leg and inner with puncture wounds around her backside she was absolute squealing and terrified,

my partner had to physically kick them away as the owner did nothing otherwise Im sure they would have killed her, the owner then ran off with his dogs still off lead,luckily our neighbor works for a local pet charity and rang vets etc which was 10 miles away as it was out of hours,

Summer was kept in overnight for op etc, when we returned from vets our neighbor showed us where the owner lived and we went to talk to him, we were in no way aggressive in fact I actually felt sorry for him, he couldn't apologize enough and promised to pay the vet fees and to keep his dogs on lead and muzzled in the future as apparently this had happened before, which we agreed we would bring him the invoice to pay he was an adult and we believed he would keep his word,

however the following day after we took the invoice to him and came home he called the police and accused us of being aggressive and threatening which we were certainly not and we refused to sign the statement from the police.

I contacted the local newspaper as I was concerned that it would happen again follwing the article I was shocked at how many people contacted us to say it had happened to them but didnt know where he lived to do anything about it.

Although luckily we have Summer insured the vet fees are rapidly increasing almost at £2000 our limit is 3000, and Summer still has to have xrays, physio etc as she is limping badly, and our premium will increase next year due to the claim, and he is still taking dogs out off lead.

The police basically tols us there wasnt anything they could do its disgusting and will probably attack other dogs or even children. I need some advise as to how I can deal with this eg claim for vets fees and ensure his dogs are under control. Phew :!:

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Can't advise on what to do as police nowadays are only interested in "easy clear cut" cases, but I can tell you something for future reference.

I walk in the woods a lot and I have been attacked by out of control dogs.

Now as soon as I get in the wood I fetch my usual "walking stick" which I hide in the same place all the time.

It's a solid piece of oak and won't break easily.

For better measure I carry a metal pen (as in writing pen), just in case the stick is not enough.

Fortunately I never had to use the pen, but I used the stick a couple of times.

You need to go back to the police and remind them of the Dangerous Dogs Act. You should also contact your local council and I'd suggest getting in touch with the RSPCA. If you can involve another agency the police will have no choice but to react properly. Such repeated behaviour from these dogs is very worrying and somebody needs to intervene.

After that, when you know your total expenses, you should make a claim in the small claims court against the owner of these dogs.

And adding - you need to be very careful with your pup now. If your insurance will bear it ask for a referral to a behaviourist so you can get help to ensure she does not remain fearful of other dogs or become reactive. As much as anything it will improve your confidence so you don't transfer your nervousness (which I'm sure you'll now have) to her.

Thank you for your advice I have now contacted my council and spoke to police again, as I have been Marac`d and under safeguarding risk atm, the police advised they would contact their" I think she said the dangerous dogs team, there seems to be lack of communication between services!! I also found after researching a few things on line that I should send a letter and invoices re after surgery care etc etc, of my intentions as I most certainly am going to claim the vets insurance fees, trauma etc, and allow them 28 days to react

Yes, if it is likely you will need to issue a claim - then you should support this with invoices for any treatment already received and ongoing aftercare. You have already pointed out that your insurance will almost certainly increase because of the claim you have made against it.

How is Summer doing now ?

If you would like us to look at your draft Letter before Claim before sending, then feel free to post it on here for comment.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi thank you for your advise here is my draft, I wont be sending it until next week as Summer has to have xrays etc as she is limping quite bad and lost muscle in her leg'

RE; Vet Fees

On the evening of 22nd February 2016 your 2 Bull Mastiffs who were both off lead in a Public Area attacked our 3 month Husky puppy who we had on lead causing severe injuries to Summers outer and inner left back leg and several puncture wounds around her backside and genital area, after the attack on Summer you immediately left the area with your dogs not leaving your name and address nor any offer of support nor concern for Summers condition, luckily there were several people who had witnessed the attack and informed ourselves of your address, you admitted you were at fault and offered to pay £500 towards Summers vet fees and promised to keep your dogs on lead and muzzled in the future, Summer had to be rushed to emergency vets at Gateshead where she was kept overnight for an emergency operation, Summer had internal and external stitching, antibiotics and pain killer. Summer has had several post op visits to the vet and was given more pain killers/antibiotics and her wound had to be re- stapled.

Summer has not regained full activity , she is limping progressively and has lost muscle in her leg she has to have x-rays and further investigations carried out, and remains on pain killing medication. The trauma of the attack has affected Summers confidence, causing a lot of stress and anxiety to her, ourselves and our other pet Husky as we have had to keep them separated during this time, we reported the attack to the police who have passed it onto their Dangerous Dogs Team to investigate.

Our current vet fees stand £???? Minus £500 received from yourself (copies enclosed) , however this will likely increase due to the severity of the damage caused and aftercare she will need to support her recovery , our insurance has a cut off limit and our premiums are likely to increase causing financial pressure and further stress to ourselves, therefore we intend to issue a claim against you at The Small Claims Court 28 days from the date of this letter to recover the vet fees incurred for Summers injuries and aftercare if we receive no response from yourselves.

It may be advisable to check your pets insurance and home insurance policies as you may have 3rd party liability cover .

Regards

I have alerted others on the site team for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Skyee and welcome to CAG

I think your letter needs improvement and suggest the following :-

Dear Mr xxxxxx

Vet fees incurred after your dogs attacked my dog

On the evening of 22nd February 2016 at about xxxx time, your 2 Bull Mastiffs who were both off lead in a Public Area attacked our 3 month Husky puppy who we had on lead causing severe injuries to Summers outer and inner left back leg and several puncture wounds around her backside and genital area.

After the attack on our dog, Summer, you immediately left the area with your dogs not leaving your name and address, with no offer of support or any concern for our dog's condition. Luckily there were several people who had witnessed the attack and informed us of your address. We visited you on xxdate and you admitted you and/or your dogs were at fault. You offered to pay £500 towards Summers vet fees and promised to keep your dogs on lead and muzzled in the future.

After the attack, Summer was rushed to emergency vets at Gateshead where she was kept overnight after an emergency operation. Summer had internal and external stitching, antibiotics and pain killers. Summer has had several post op visits to the vet and was given more pain killers/antibiotics and her wound had to be re- stapled.

Summer has not regained full activity. She continues to limp; she has suffered muscle wastage in her leg; she has to have x-rays and further investigations carried out; she remains on pain killing medication.

Our current vet fees stand at £???? less £500 received from yourself (copy documents enclosed) but this will increase due to ongoing treatment needed to support her recovery.

Our pet insurance covers treatment up to £xxxx and we require confirmation from you that you will cover any vets' fees in excess of this, incurred as a result of your dogs' attack.

If you have pet insurance that covers you for fees incurred as a result of your dogs attacking mine, please forward details of then insurer and reference number, so that I can pass this on to my pet insurer.

If you fail to respond positively within 14 days, I will take further action to recover losses incurred as a result of your failure to control your dogs.

Yours sincerely,

Mr and Mrs Skyee

I've left out certain items which I think are not relevant or necesary.

However, before you use this, can you tell us :-

1. What your pet insurer has said about the incident. If they have to pay out as a result of someone else's negligence, are they likely to pursue the Mastiffs' owner.

2. Do you know if the owner has pet insurance.

3. Approx what fees have been incurred so far.

4. Up to what amount will your insurer cover.

:-)

Edited by slick132
added about him giving insurance details
  • Confused 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick and thank you for your response.

1. My insurance has acknowledged receipt of my claim however Ive not spoken to them direct as yet,

2. I do not know whether the owner has insurance,

3. The fees so far stand at £1500 minus £500 from the owner of the dogs =£1000 outstanding,

4. My insurance will cover up to £3000, that figure is without x rays and internal investigations which Summer is having tomorrow under sedation which Ive been advised by the vet will be around £500, and depending on the results she will need more treatment eg physio if not further surgery.

Many thanks

Mrs Skyee

Edited by slick132
added numbering and spacing so answers easier to read

Hi Skyee,

I think you should talk to your insurer and find out if they'll seek reimbursement from the Mastiffs' owner.

Then send the letter to the Mastiffs' owner. I've added a paragraph about him possibly having pet insurance that may cover damage caused to your dog.

I think you also need to make your own complaint to the police about the incident, particularly as he's allowing the dogs off-lead and maybe unmuzzled. Don't let the police fob you off and make a complaint to them in writing if necessary.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

A further thought ...........

Do you have home insurance.

If so, you should check to see if you have your own Legal Cover. It may provide access to a solicitor or legal team to help you recover any uninsured losses.

Or you may at least have access to free legal advice.

Thank you I will contact my insurers tomorrow and check my house insurance.

Regards

Mrs Skyee

If you have legal expenses cover on Home Insurance, you can ask them, but quite often they refuse to cover peoples legal costs in these situations. They might say they don't think there is reasonable chance of success, as dogs will attack other dogs, even if they have an owner who can't control them.

If there is a public safety issue where they dogs are being walked, the local council with the RSPCA might be willing to attend the Mastiffs owners home. The Mastiffs i have come across have been as soft as anything, so it is probably the owner that has made them like this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You could also look at this link about the Dangerous Dogs Act - https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

wellll, i sent the letter with copy invoices, pictures of Summers injuries etc as advised, and guess what the police turned up at my door today, the dogs owner had rang them and said i was harassing them by sending this letter, i explained i was following a procedure prior to a small claim going into court, which the officer was fine with then went on his merry way. I have since been contacted by a lady whose jack russell was attacked by the same dogs last year and off lead, she went to their house and they sent police to her accusing her of harrasment, so this must be on police records?? the officer that came to mine stated there was nothing they could do quoted "dog on dog" I argued my case as clearly the owner could not control his dogs, I am furious and I am going to submit a written complaint to the police.

Edited by skyee

Why don't you post up some links here to any news items which have been published about this dog. Also, you could tell us the name of the owner.

Thanks

This guy has found a way to keep his dangerous dogs on the loose without being subjected to the dangerous dogs act.

He knows that by claiming harassment the police will wash their hands off the case because there's too much paperwork involved.

I would write to the superintendent first highlighting that a child could be the next victim.

If you get no joy ipcc is the next port of call.

The police seem to protect the criminals nowadays.

the officer that came to mine stated there was nothing they could do quoted "dog on dog"

Your partner and friend must go back and make an official complaint making it absolutely clear that they were in fear of being attacked themselves. Don't deviate from that. A real and reasonable fear of attack is enough. Just because those dogs savaged your dog rather than your partner doesn't mean they didn't fulfil the criteria for being dangerously out of control.

See if you can build a case, with numerous others having gone through the same situation. As it is not a one off, you might be able to issue a court claim against the owner and others on here might suggest how this might be done. The owner of the dogs, if they know they are agressive to other dogs, likely to cause them injury, would have a duty of care to other people and their pets.

With the same info you put together, you might also be able to seek help of council, under anti social behaviour,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

my son already did that, got thousands of shares and replies from that, a couple who`s dogs were attacked by the same ones, same story went to house and he claimed harassment, however no one has gone any further legally

we`re going through the messages and contacting the people who`s dogs has been attacked for statements if they are willing. I did reiterate to the officer that my partner was fear of being injured by these dogs too, not even interested shocking

If Bankfodder has asked for the name of the dogs' owner, post it !!