• Tweets

• Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer and that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim and don't add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the members of suggested above – it should be the final version. court, that I would respectfully requestup but I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hillies/Restons claimform - mbna card 'debt'***Claim Discontinued***

minkie64
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I wonder if you can help...

I have an outstanding debt of £798.22 which was an MBNA CC from 2011 - this has been passed round collection agencies since then and I haven't made any payment or acknowledged the debt till Nov last year.

I am currently not working, been on ESA for years and have very little prospect of returning to work.

My dad offered to help me clear my debts so I can move into an adapted rented property

. I wrote to Restons and offered them 10% of the outstanding debt and explained I had a chronic health condition.

They replied a month later rejecting the 10% but asking for supporting documents

. I replied on 31/12 sending letters from the hospital and haven't heard anything.

Meanwhile other creditors have been accepting 10% full and final settlement offers..

my post has just arrived which included a Claimform from Restons -

I'm livid as I had been trying to resolve this.

The debt collectors before Reston were dlc who offered me a settlement of £199.56 but sold the debt on

Can I appeal?

I have tried to call Restons, even with a named case manager, I can't get through

I am so so frustrated and upset by this

thanks for your help

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why if you were writing to restons did you not get the claim form and defended it?

Do they not know you real address?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Name of the Claimant ? - Hillesden Securities Limited

Date of issue – 15th March 2016

What is the claim for

1.The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the defendant under a contract between the defendant and MBNA dated on or about Feb 19 2008 and assigned to the claimant

Particulars a/c no xxxxx

Date 10/11/2015 Default Balance £798.22

What is the value of the claim? £928.22

Is the claim for a current account (Overdraft)

or credit/loan account or mobile phone account? - credit card

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? After

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor

or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.

It's the debt purchaser / solictiors that have issued the claim

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment?

I had a letter from dlc saying the next step was to pass to Restons, no letter of assignment

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? - I don't so, was such a long time ago

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? No

Why did you cease payments? Lost job due to ill health

What was the date of your last payment? April 2011

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No

I just had a call from Restons,

I had called them before posting here yesterday to ask why they issued a claim

when I was trying to resolve the matter.

The lady was very polite she went through my file and said no letter of 31/12,

not heard anything since my 10% offer in Nov.

I didn't send it registered post, but equally, I didnt send the first one registered but that got there ok.

I asked her if they would accept the 199.56 offer I had made, which was in response to dlc's offer and she said no, because it was in court I had to respond to court and there was nothing they could do.

I explained I was on ESA ( I had previously sent them a financial statement from Stepchange) and could only pay £1 a month which since the balance is £920 I wasn't going to live that long!

she agreed but wouldn't budge, told me to fill the court paperwork in.

She wanted to know all about my chronic condition,

I asked what was the point in going through it if she wasn't able to help?

I had earlier told her I have arthritis in both knees and right hand with very little prospect of returning to work.

I said I wanted the original signed agreement and she said had to be in writing and send a pound.

Hi minkie64 ...first off no more phone calls to Pestons...its counterproductive and will only worsen your health.

You have 33 days in total if you intend to defend the claim in full.....19 days to acknowledge service (date on the claim form being day 1) and a further 14 days to submit a defence...so int total 33 days.

You can register to use MCOL and do all this on line....so disregard the claim pack but retain safely.

1.So firstly acknowledge service once you are ready.

2.Send a section 78 request to the claimant for a copy of the agreement (go to the Library for template) follow the instructions

3.Send a CPR 31.14 request to the Solicitor (go to the Library for template) follow the instructions

Come back here once all the above is complete or if you are unsure of anything at this stage.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy,

I promise, no more speaking to them. I just hoped they would accept the offer of £199.56 and it would all be resolved.

this is the letter I am about to post, can you please advise if I send to just them? I'm confused

template removed - please read our rules - dx

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

CPR 31.14 to Pests..once you have edited to suit the claimant's particulars.

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

I sent the letters to DLC and Restons and I've just got this reply.

Please find enclosed a draft letter which purports to come from you but which is unsigned. ( I had typed my name at the bottom of the letter)

You will appreciate that we must ensure we are corresponding with the correct person and that anyone requesting information is entitled to receive it.

Please ensure that all documentation is signed failing which we will not acknowledge receipt nor provide any response.

they signed it!

so, by worry is now, I have to file my defence in court next week.

Shall I sign the letter and send it back or send this to the court?

Help please and thank you

Neither...you simply refer to the claimant in your defence as frustrating your requests to verify the claim and failing to comply with Pre Action Protocol.

Andy

I also had a Letter from DLC

Important information about your account.

On 1 March 2016, ME lll Limited bought your account from Hillesden Securities Ltd. ME ll and Hillesden Securities Ltd (*dlc*) are both part of the Caboot Credit Management Group.

Although, ME lll Limited are the legal and beneficial owners of your account, you should continue to communicate with, and make payments, to your current servicer.

Currently paying?

You don't have to do anything.

Currently dealing with a third party debt management or insolvency company?

You don't have to do anything. We will continue to deal with your third party and your plan will remain in place.

Not currently paying?

We would like to speak to you to discuss your account. Call us on 0344 335 8498 so we can agree an affordable solution with you that is tailored to your financial situation and personal circumstances.

If you have any queries about the content of this letter, please dont hesitate to contact us or you can visit our website, mydlc.co.uk for more details.

yours sincerely..

I don't think this was a reply for my section 78 request, so not sure what to do?

thanks for your help

not a reply to your s78 request, you must keep in mind your defence due date by April 16

you must not miss this regardless of what you do /do not receive

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Why cant you do it on line...? how did you do your acknowledgment of service?

Andy

matters not what you said to Restons, if they dont have the correct paperwork to support their claim

you need to start reading up on similar defences here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?190-Legal-Successes

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

you did acknowledge the claim om mcol website as advised at the start of this thread?

and they

something like this:

POC

1.The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant(s) under a contract between the Defendant(s) and [original creditor] dated on or about etc etc

2. And assigned to the claimant on etc etc

Defence

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have in the past had financial dealings with [original creditor]. I am unaware of what alleged debt the claimant refers to having failed to adequately particularise its claim.

3. Paragraph 2 is denied. I do not recall receiving any Notice of Assignment from either assignor or assignee pursuant to the Law of Property Act 1925.

4. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has declined to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach requested by CPR 31. 14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show and evidence that a Default Notice was issued pursuant to sec87.1 CCA1974;

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

5. On receipt of this claim I requested by way of a CPR 31.14 request and a section 78 request for copies of any documents referred to within the Claimants particulars to establish what the claim is for. To date they have declined to comply to my section 78 request and remain in default and with regards to my CPR 31.14 request. Therefore the claimant in their none compliance to my requests have frustrated my attempts to clarify their claim and against pre action protocol should be considered when the question of costs arise.

6. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

7. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer crediticon Act 1974.

8. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

and they

Hi,

I will do it online, I thought I had to do it by post and send copies of my letters ...thanks for all your help

Many many thanks for this - I will tweak it, but I didn't have a clue how to start off and what to say

your help is much appreciated

Thank you

defence not due till/by 4pm Friday 15th

post it up first before your file it please.

dx

and they