• Tweets

• I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
    • I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Can a Bailiff take my car? Is it Exempt? - I need my car for Work - Discussion thread.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi BA

If a car is used for Work as well as Private use,and under the value threshold,

would this be exempt ?

(work as in transporting tools of the trade and Materials)

If this is the case what proof, would be needed to prove this is the case?

Leakie

Sorry to butt in. But as I am sure BA will agree;

If your job is transporting tools then the vehicle would be exempt.

If your job is, say a plasterer and you are transporting your tools in order to perform this occupation, then the vehicle would not be exempt, there is a ton of case law on this very subject.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Thanks for the Reply Dodgeball

My Case

I am a plumber.

I could not carry all the tools I need, on public transport,

or materials for that mater

Not only that if I had to use Public transport I would not be able to get too a majority of my clients..

I can get larger items delivered but not all.

Leakie

There will be a list no doubt on BAs post which states that exemption does not mean more convenient or even cheaper, it means the ability to do the work.

So if it was a tool you actually used it would apply but not the means of transporting them, there are other options even though they may be financially restrictive.

This is not to say that the EA will take the car in this situation.

On instruction he and the creditor my decide that taking your vehicle was counter productive in that it would remove your ability to repay.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Thanks again DodgeBall

It would be in my case as it would not be viable due to cost to even try to work.

I have to carry a wide range of tools and materials. more than can be carried in one hit so to speak.

A job for 1hr £20.00 bus 5.50 return to the nearest town

then taxis to the job return, £12.60 this is just one example.

I am sure you would not work for this amount. £1.90 for 1hr

this would not cover travelling time.

It is not as if my clients are all in the same place, on a normal day,

I could travel 60 miles for 2-3 jobs but I am only able to work in between school hours,

As I am a single parent.

Leakie

I am not saying this is the situation i would like leaky just the way it is.

However most of the case law is before April 14 and it depends on the situation now to an extent. The fact of the matter is that it is upto the EA when he attends, no complaint can be raised during the taking of goods procedure, so if he is confident in his beliefs he can seize the vehicle,not withstanding any possible or imaginary consequences to him or his license he will.

So personally I would do everything in my powerwer to ensure the bailiff does not have the opportunity.

How many times have we seen posters elsewhere being advised that the EA cannot do this or cannot do that, only to be told guess what, they have.

Thanks again

I understand what you are saying

the trouble is the EA has to much power and if he/she does not keep to the law /rules there is no penalty,

So this causes the Ea to do what he/she wants with no come back,

if this is the case the Law is an ass. And the people who make these laws are just as bad.

it may sound like sour grapes, but this is not the case , Remedy is not affordable to most people as they are struggling in the first place.

I may not agree but that is life.

Thanks for your superior knowledge

Leakie

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the Reply Dodgeball

My Case

I am a plumber. I could not carry all the tools I need, on public transport, or materials for that mater

Not only that if I had to use Public transport I would not be able to get too a majority of my clients..

I can get larger items delivered but not all.

Leakie

I note that you are also a single parent. As Dodgeball has already mentioned, it is far better to avoid goods being removed by entering into a payment arrangement during the Compliance stage when bailiff fees are capped at £75).

However, to answer your question, if the vehicle is below the 'threshold' (£1,350) and it is clear that the vehicle is used for your self employment then in almost all cases that I come across, commonsense will usually kick in and the enforcement agent will (reluctantly) accept a payment arrangement at the property.

If the vehicle is clamped (or worse still removed) then it really is a simple prodecure to send a 'Part 85 Claim' to the enforcement company. As long as the documentation is properly put together then in almost all cases that I have assisted with, the vehicle will be released very quickly.

Part 85 claims work very well indeed and in fact, at the beginning of last week I had my first ever rejected 'Part 85' claim (self employed builder with the debt being against his limited company.). The enforcement company argued that 'exemption' only applies to individuals and as the road traffic debts (sadly rather a lot of them) were against a Limited Company and the vehicle registered in the name of the debtors limited company that 'exemption' does not apply.

Ah that £1,350 threshold is way too low, a mobile Hairdresser could have more than that in kit with some scissors costing north of £200, a Chef easily £1,500 in knives etc.

Looks like a sole trader might be OK whilst the Ltd Co lopses out in some circumstances.

Incidentally some Sole Traders, and Couriers rent long term now, as it is easy to change vehicles at will and prices are getting competitive with Contract Lease (again where ownership remains with the Leasing Co.

Like to see Marstons v Hertz in a High Court argument over ownership, as even relying on that dodgy judgment, the beneficial interest surely cannot apply to pure rental.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I notice that many other stickies need closing as well.

Ah that £1,350 threshold is way too low, a mobile Hairdresser could have more than that in kit with some scissors costing north of £200, a Chef easily £1,500 in knives etc.

Looks like a sole trader might be OK whilst the Ltd Co lopses out in some circumstances.

Incidentally some Sole Traders, and Couriers rent long term now, as it is easy to change vehicles at will and prices are getting competitive with Contract Lease (again where ownership remains with the Leasing Co.

Like to see Marstons v Hertz in a High Court argument over ownership, as even relying on that dodgy judgment, the beneficial interest surely cannot apply to pure rental.

I absolutely agree that the £1,350 is far too low but we must not lose sight of the fact that prior to the regulations coming into effect in April 2014, there had been no limit at all.

Whilst this figure is low it does however broadly mirror the limit imposed by the Insolvency Service in cases where a debtor is subject of a bankruptcy petition.

On a personal basis, the figure has been a 'lifeline' as it has been of assistance since 2014 in getting Part 85 Claims accepted for low income families and self employed debtors. It has also been of assistance to students (usually with road traffic debts) who tend to have low value vehicles.

In regard to the OP here, the goods are under the limit, the problem is to ascertain if the car even qualifies for tools of the trade exemption.

The question posed was can a bailiff take my car, in other words can the bailiff legally take my car.

Yes he can because the rules regarding defining tools for trade are so restrictively narrow.

The case law is all before 2014 regarding this and there is little or no detailed information within the TCE. So it is another case of developing law.

Bailiffs are very wary of cases being found against their intersts , which is another reason why section 85 claims are settled quickly.

Whether he decides to take a vehicle or not is dependant on a number of factors. Firstly, can he legally do so. Then, is it worth him doing so,

Whist It is clear that a car of such a low value would not represent much of a dent in the amount outstanding under a power, fees charges etc being what they are.

It is also true that an EA will often take a car under control just to get the debtors attention.

Thanks for all of the input,

It goes to show that TCE has made it a bit clearer,

but still has a lot of grey areas,

I appreciate What you say about early intervention as to save costs,

It is very easy to say if you are not in this position,

But when you are in this position it is not always at the top of your list.

as there may be other creditor putting pressure on as well.

and putting food on the table,keeping the children warm and keeping a roof over your head takes priority.

With regards to my car it is not obvious it is used for work.,on site, only the tools in the boot.

the only thing that I can do to prove it is for work is show a copy of the insurance work and social use.

But the good point that Dodgeball made, the EA would probably clamp the car to put on the pressure.

The trouble is it would only work if you are a won't pay, and not a can't pay.

The EA knows this and also knows that there will be no come back on himself by doing this.

If there was a come back for the EA then thing may change.

Leakie

• 4 weeks later...

I think the important thing to remember is that whatever position you are in or why you may need the car, that really isn't their problem. We need to get out of the way of thinking that it's going to make a difference if it causes us a problem, because as far as the bailiff is concerned it IS your problem - they're not interested, they are simply there to do a job and will do what they can to complete that job.

I'm not taking sides, believe me I know how tough it is but you have to realise that the whole point of the regulations is to try to get people to pay. The reason for the £1350 limit is that it is not considered fair that a debtor has an expensive car at his disposal that nobody can touch, while the creditor is out of pocket.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

I think the important thing to remember is that whatever position you are in or why you may need the car, that really isn't their problem. We need to get out of the way of thinking that it's going to make a difference if it causes us a problem, because as far as the bailiff is concerned it IS your problem - they're not interested, they are simply there to do a job and will do what they can to complete that job.

I'm not taking sides, believe me I know how tough it is but you have to realise that the whole point of the regulations is to try to get people to pay. The reason for the £1350 limit is that it is not considered fair that a debtor has an expensive car at his disposal that nobody can touch, while the creditor is out of pocket.

on the flip side a plumber would be pushed onto the dole without a vehicle, if Self Employed not entitled to benefit, in all probability so kids in care and plumber on streets with extra fees to pay from no income with the Storage fees etc.

Ea loses out as can't make payment arrangement, no income to debtor, the taxpayer loses for the cost of keeping a child in care is probably higher than keeping someone in prison. Lose Lose. You cannot get blood from a stone.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!