• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

vicmar ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6122 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just posted mcol with hsbc has anyone been successful against A&l i moved from hsbc to A&L this year so far i have been charge quite a bit even when money is in the account "they say it has not cleared" and charge me for paying DD's so thinking of changing accounts in the new year!! but wondered if people have had successful claims , specially when they are threatening to close accounts!!:confused:

HSBC Full offer accepted!!£3613.39 :D

(Payment paid into bank 29/01/07)!!

A & L offer recived in full

account threat of closure

reported to FOS 5/04/07

Mint offer accepted in full

Studio Pre lim sent 05/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

Awaiting SAR doc from Creation finance

If you look in the A&L Successes forum you will see that they pay within a month of a court claim being issued, but will close your account after they have paid.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

is it worth going ahead with the charges reclaim it seem A&L play very dirty, i do not want CCJ or the accounts closed we have three 2 single and a joint. i have thought about moving the joint to another bank any recomendations!! but it was a hassle last time, i am still waiting response from my MCOL v HSBC

any advice? i think the charges over the 12 months may account to £100-£200

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

They just make sure you are serious by not agreeing to pay unless you take out a court claim. If you want to keep your account with them for some reason then don't claim as they will close your account.

It's up to you if you think it's worth it, but personally I would rather have £200 than have my account with A&L again.

Regarding another bank, I personally like Smile, but if you have a poor credit rating you may be better off with a basic account from someone like Nat West who accept anyone.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

hi guys submitted a claim against HSBC which is gone to court (A Q to be returned) but last night i was adding up charges from A & L across all three accounts since july the total comes to 1100GBP my only question if i start a claim in the new year and A&L continue to apply charges how to i go about claiming them aswell (HSBC account was closed in feb so it was easy no more charges being applied) i have already opened a new account in readiness for A&L closing the accounts advice please:confused:

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

Keep your spreadsheet accurately updated right up to the day you actually MCOL them, and use the total figure for that date.

Any other charges from then up to the account closure, just start another claim for them.

Hint:

Don't forget to use their own unauthorised borrowing rate for your interest, it can make the total rise quite substantially

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

thanks only problem we have interest free overdraft for 12 months but will amend spreadsheet when it runs out

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

• 3 weeks later...

hi here goes i have just printed of my pre lim letter, opened aparachute account just in case!

claiming £1306.50 a long way off the £200-300 guess!

lets see what happens!

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

hi well posted letter thursday recorded but checked with royal mail still not signed for sent to Bootle , does anyone have a better address for LBA to go to

thanks

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

hi,

dont know if this is any help but I have taken my prelim and lba into the branch and had someone from the branch sighn it, stating that they will forward it to the relevant department, my prelim got a prompt but dissapointing reply but at least they got my letter!! dont know about the lba yet tho still waiting...............

hope this helps!

h

Stick to the same address vicmar and to your timetable. It sometimes takes a while for the postmen to return the signatures for Royal Mail to update.

thanks Caro , i rang royal mail they more or less said the same so they have until 25th jan to respond before next letter i am also keeping upto date my spreed sheet as the account is is very much active :rolleyes:

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

Hi Vicmar,

I've been having very similar problems to yourself it seems. A&L cleared a cheque when I didn't have funds, whcih then took me overdrawn. I brought the account back straight away but because of their "stealth" charges for being overdrawn being applied at the end of each month and not being displayed clearly I went overdrawn again when these were applied. I then got caught in this circle and have now had enough and am going to claim back the charges applied.

Just one question - should I bring the account back into the black or should I jsut let it run... I don't use the account at all anymore and have a couple of others so I'm not too bothered...

Cheers.

Hi Wonkyphono

Our accounts are running accounts so we TRY to put right but for every Pound we put in the bank take in charges etc, i have kept my spread up to date so when it gets to MCOL stage all charges are up to date, i would try to keep it straight put that is just me put i have opened a parachute account which we are slowly moving things over to.

hope that helps just see what everyone is doing or advising before making a judgement.

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

HI just received unfair2 standard reply x3 1- to us both, 1- to hubby and 1- me and yet royalmail still have say they have received/signed it.

well posted on the 11th so 14 calender days takes me up to 25th so LBA to be written and to posted on 25th here goes!!:rolleyes:

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

hi just updated spread sheet,now upto £1578.50!!so printing off LBA to post tomorrow!! with charges pending!! will add these as they are applied jut before MCOL

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

just received second rejection letter usual reply charges are fair etc just waiting until next friday 9th to file MCOL

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

Isn't it amazing just how quickly these charges mount up. We are owed £11K from A&L and Halifax. They do sent these standard letters. i'm about to go to court and file my MCOL by Friday I hope. The thing with the A & L is there is absolutely nobody who will talk to you about charges apart from call centre staff who have I'm sorry to say, absolutely no idea what this involves.

Good luck keep going!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GUYS

MCOL just filed

Claim ref 7QZ16284

Vicmar V Alliancev & Leicester

Claim For £1965.48

heres waiting!!

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

• 2 weeks later...

defense submitted by A & L on 13th Feb they sent their own copy!! Courts copy arrived today so i have already sent the court and A & L copies of schedule but i sent the A & L copies to HQ address is it worth resending to the bootle adress on Defense form ???

advice please :rolleyes:

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

Let them sort it out vicmar. I take it you sent it to the address on your claim. They can always ask if they want another copy. You'll get a cheque soon anyway I should think.

hi caro , i was hoping to here something this week probably weds going of everyones else's responses.

here waiting!!

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

GOOD NEWS!!!!

ALLIANCE & LEICESTER PAID UP TODAY :D :D :D :D

although they say they have review my claim they have in this instance they have decided to pay!

but..... as we do not accept the terms etc ... we will be contacting us shortly regarding its future operation!

i am right in thinking this is a threat to close our accounts, though i thought they where no longer allowed to do this as it is classed a "fight back"??

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent

advice please just won claim with A&L but just noticed they are about to add £75, charges over draft and already claimed from my account £68.00 failed d/d again not processing money quick enough , iam about to send "thank you" for cheque will i be alright to request these back, £75 is to be added on 3/3/07

i also want my credit file ammending they have not defaulted but have but black mark (non-payment / failed payment notices stand at 2) against both my hubbies and my name caused by charges any help would be grateful

(i lodged this similar complaint with HSBC and they stated they will ammend still waiting) i have though, but a notice of correction on my file to see if this helps

any good advice please

Vicmar

reported to FOS 5/04/07

MBNA SAR sent