UK Power Networks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

A question on behalf of a friend – I hope you can help.

UK Power networks want to replace posts and cables (they are not too clear what exactly).

I think there are old posts and cable already installed on the property land

(private property/land) years ago before the property belonged to the current owner

which they want to replace and they want access.

Do we need by low let them do it and should we request some compensation/rent for the days there will be workers on our private property?

I don’t feel it is safe to let anybody into the property without us being home and keep an eye on them.

We have outbuildings, animals, items etc..

.It is 5-6 acres private house /land property.

There are also trees, grass etc and if they need to destroy any of these we will not be happy.

If we give them permission or if we have to give them permission by low,

do you know any letter/sample to send them and tell them that if they destroy anything

they have to pay compensation or pay anyway for the days they will be here

and somebody has to take days off work to be able to open the gate for them and let them in.

The 'supervisor' is coming tomorrow to explain more in detail and I have not got a clue what our rights are.

Thanks in advance.

I would certainly imagine that a condition of their entry is that there is no damage or any damage which has to be caused is made good.

I think it would be a good idea to start taking photographs of the entire area where you expect them to be working and also the access routes to the work site and discuss these with the supervisor.

As far as compensation et cetera, I don't know but it would certainly seem reasonable to me. I'm not sure where you would check this up. Talk to the supervisor about it certainly. He might be very straight with you but you need to find out independently as well. Maybe somebody else will come to this thread and give you a more knowledgeable answer

Thank you very much for your reply BankFodder.

I will make sure that we (the owner and I) ask him about compensation plus the entry etc...

Please any other opinions and advise are welcome.

Thanks again.

I stay in the house as the owners are away most of the time.

I do not trust these people: Last year in June there were 2 strange visits to the property : Second time 2 men entered the property without permission, parked their van, did not call the house and went on their own in the bushes to look around at the old posts. Once they were heard talking I called them to get out of there and called the company to complain. They were not polite at all and I told them to leave otherwise I would have called the police etc...

if the poles are on your land you should receive a rent for them, albeit only a couple of pounds a year if in a hege but a bit more in the middle of a field. For some older poles there isnt a wayleave agreement in place so you can negotiate a fee for the post being there or order it removed, they prefer to pay you a one-off rather than considering moving the pole. If said pole only seves your property you need to be a little more circumspect but if it serves other places you have a much stronger position. However, the amount they cough up will only be a couple of hundred quid so dont start getting silly with your demands.

Thank you very much for your replies. Any other advice will be much appreciated.

The poles with 2 cables on them are on our land bordering with other peoples lands at the 2 ends. They are 2 cables on the posts already agreed to be installed by previous owner- I have not got a clue if she has received any money for that but knowing her she probably did not take a penny. The cables don't go over our land, just start on our land and continue at neighbours lands. They only want to add third cables on the posts. I can see hooks for third cables to be installed in the middle. There is only possibility for them to get to the posts by foot and using ladders...

He says that they already have these on the registry land and have entry permission from previous owner, I said to him to ask previous owner to give him entry now because he is nobody here anymore ;-).She sold the house/property 2 years ago to current owner. We would not mind in general if they have to do the work but they are really Not polite. When I said to him I have to pay somebody to open the gate for them and remain while they are on the grounds and I want compensation he became silent and kept repeating 'we have permission I can send you the letter'. So I said to him to send the letter so we discuss this with our lawyer.

Thank you Ericsbrother. We have just received a copy of deed of grant date 2004 between previous owner who is not alive anymore and Edf. Can they still use this?The new owner bought the property in 2014. They mention somewhere there something about £1 but nobody pays us anything...They also have sent a copy of the land register (only one page where B) shows new owners names and-

C:The parts of the land affected thereby are subject to the rights granted by a deed dated xx/xx/2004 made between Name of the previous owner and Edf energy. Thee communication about the above is by somebody from UK Power Notwork. Not sure why.

Any ideas what to do? Leave it like it is and let them install the additional cables or ask them to amend the deed for our approval? Or is it time to meet a solicitor for advise?

Thank you Ericsbrother. We have just received a copy of deed of grant date 2004 between previous owner who is not alive anymore and Edf. Can they still use this?The new owner bought the property in 2014. They mention somewhere there something about £1 but nobody pays us anything...They also have sent a copy of the land register (only one page where B) shows new owners names and-

C:The parts of the land affected thereby are subject to the rights granted by a deed dated xx/xx/2004 made between Name of the previous owner and Edf energy. Thee communication about the above is by somebody from UK Power Notwork. Not sure why.

Any ideas what to do? Leave it like it is and let them install the additional cables or ask them to amend the deed for our approval? Or is it time to meet a solicitor for advise?

You are never going to come out of this with anything tangible, so I would leave it. It could be your property is also on this line and could be affected if it's not done. If it is a health and safety issue, (no one does anything for fun), they will just get a judge to order it.

We are not against them doing their job. We just want to make sure that the things are right before going ahead. For example: Am I correct that we have to request this deed to be amended to the owners name and ask the current owner of the property for permission and not showing us an old deed signed by a previous owner and telling us they can do whatever and whenever they want?

I am not quote sure what you mean by health and safety issue-sorry not experienced at all...? It is spending tax payers money for things that are probably not really necessary to be honest...We had one strange visit from this company last year and the guy was saying that he did not really want to come here because he was sure that they don't need to do anything at the poles on our land but somebody 'above him' who was on the road by our land (his supervisor probably) asked him to come and see the poles and see if they can do something on our property where their poles are because they would get extra money for that...

Amending the deed would most likely depend on what is in the deed; from what I understand this could be an enduring right of access to their equipment; at the end of the day electricity poles and cables are essential to ensure the supply can reach your home.

Re the health and safety comments as power lines and equipment age they will need replacing and upgrading to conform with modern standards; perhaps this is where the third wire is coming from?

It may be worth as previously suggested just asking for a guarantee that any damage will be made good

Great, thank you both. Guarantee that any damage will be made good has been mentioned in the old deed so this I guess is protected if the deed if it is still in force.

I will suggest to the owner to leave things as they are so they can arrange with us the visit. It will cost us money to be at the property the day/days they come but never mind...

• 2 years later...

Slightly off piste - but related to UK Power Networks (and I don't seem to have permission to begin a new thread)

In January this year, some overhead cables were brought down. These cables were maintained by UK Power. It transpired that the cable was incorrectly fitted to my property and that they were not adequately maintained. 7 months of to-ing and fro-ing, getting repair quotes for the damage to my property etc. UK power networks incorrectly advised me to get the contractor to submit his invoice directly to UK power (because if something went wrong subsequently, I'd have no redress). Anyway, after approving the works, I went ahead, however when the contractor arrived, he pointed out additional damage and offered to repair that (at some additional cost). I made a judgement to go ahead. I paid the contractor and submitted my invoice. Radio silence. Eventually I got a response - sorry but the cables were brought down by a lorry, so you need to claim of your home insurance.

This was after agreeing to pay for repairs. Of course, I have no way now of tracing the lorry. If the cables had been maintained and properly fitted in the first place, the cable would not have been hanging low. I don't see why I should have to pay (or face an increase in my household premium). I feel they have acted negligently and unfairly. Views please?