Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Default Taking money out to buy uk gilts

Hi everyone

My dad is over 55 now and wants to move as much money as he can out of his pensions and into UK government gilts. He's sending off his application to join the approved group of investors soon but needs help with withdrawing the money. He believes he'll make more interest and that the gilts are a safer bet with the way the market currently is. He was thinking of buying a 5 year and 10 year gilt but doesn't want to pay the tax to withdraw the money from the pension pots.

He's got three pension pots, I know you can take 25% without tax but does that apply to all pots or just overall? and would there be a way to take the rest out tax free or with low tax applied?

Thanks
    Andrew

Default Re: Taking money out to buy uk gilts

Hello there.

I've moved you to the main pensions forum because you posted in the media section. Hopefully more people will see your thread here.

HB

Default Re: Taking money out to buy uk gilts

Quote Originally Posted by Ftgab19 View Post
    Hi everyone

My dad is over 55 now and wants to move as much money as he can out of his pensions and into UK government gilts. He's sending off his application to join the approved group of investors soon but needs help with withdrawing the money. He believes he'll make more interest and that the gilts are a safer bet with the way the market currently is. He was thinking of buying a 5 year and 10 year gilt but doesn't want to pay the tax to withdraw the money from the pension pots.

He's got three pension pots, I know you can take 25% without tax but does that apply to all pots or just overall? and would there be a way to take the rest out tax free or with low tax applied?

Thanks
    Andrew
    I think it's 25% of the total funds, here's a link to the Pensions Advice Service. You could also look at the Money Advice Service or the CAB.

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.o...-cash-lump-sum

I take it these are private pensions? And what do you mean about approved group of investors please?

Any other money that is withdrawn is taxed on top of your father's annual income, as I understand it, so the only way to pay less tax is to be in a lower tax band.

If your father wants to invest his pensions in gilts, is it possible to move the money in the private schemes in to funds with the same provider/s that invest in gilts?

Depending on how much money is involved, your father should consider taking independent advice.

HB