Carers allowance overpayment URGENT help needed

lozzypop21
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I have been claiming carers allowance as I was caring for my son. I started working in September. I phoned the office to report my change in circumstances and realised that I had reported the incorrect start date. I have phoned again and reported this and then written a letter and an email to state my error which occurred because I was not paying attention to what I was doing as I am currently swamped with taking care of Children/ house/full time employment and studying.

The lady on the phone this morning just said that there would be an overpayment and it would take around 3-4 weeks for them to contact me regarding this. She did say that they knew my correct start date for work because it flagged up on my NI number.

Anyway I am going out of my mind since this with worry. Obviously I am happy to pay back the overpayment but I am terrified that my stupid error could cause them to think I was acting fraudlently.

Have been going out of my mind and feel sick constantly and cannot sleep since I realised I made this mistake.

Well, we can't say for sure, but the fact that you contacted them to report the error would seem to suggest that you had no fraudulent intent. Overpayments happen, mistakes are made. Do you know, roughly, how much you have been overpaid?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Firstly you did the right thing by making a further change of circumstances, then adding more information. This thread also makes the important note that mistakes happen and if you act as soon as possible then the DWP/HMRC could reclaim the overpayment without it escalating into a fraud case.

It also shows that the different Agencies do data share and no matter what the situation you can be caught out easily enough. As far as repaying the overpayment you can ask for it to be collected at a rate you can afford.

Finally it may pay you to run the benefits advisor again to see if there is any other help available to you that you are not aware of....

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.