The work programme

louise2012
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worse than people make out!

This is how they meet their targets and sanction claimants, thus saving the government money by not paying the claimant.

A truly atrocious piece of legislation meted out by those living in cloud cuckoo land having never done an honest days work themselves.

http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/ask-cpag-online-how-can-you-avoid-jsa-work-programme-sanction

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Has your adviser just only mentioned the Work Programme to you, or has he begun the process of referring you?

Either way I suggest you familiarise yourself with the Guidances at this link. That's just for starters.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/work-programme-dwp-provider-guidance

The thread called Ingeus might also be worthwhile perusing. There you will find 6,293 post (at last count) with comments, remarks, opinions on WP.

Then check out the hundreds of other forums containing thousands of threads, millions of comments, remarks, opinions.

After all that you would probably consider Bazooka Boo's comments as an under-statement.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

My advisor mentioned it in passing yesterday when I went to sign on and am already getting worried over having to take part in it

As you have been claiming JSA (or UC) for twelve months, you now qualify for a referral to the Work Programme. You should get a letter from the DWP inviting you in for a referral meeting where the goals of the WP should be explained to you. If you have a job lined up, this is the time to ask (insist) on a postponement of the referral and/or discuss any problems you might face, e.g.: Care duties towards a minor or elderly family member, transport issues that might limit the times & days you could attend.

Suffice to say, most of the above will be ignored, but you might get the referral suspended if you do have a job in the pipeline.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Be very careful G4C89 following advice from here.

I'm sure people mean well, but they're ultimately all keyboard warriors shouting a good game about what you "should" do. But when you're actually in the job centre looking behind you for support in the real world?

Nope!

If you get sanctioned they will be nowhere to be seen, but they'll feel good for telling you what you should/would/could do.

Take any advice you get here with a pinch of salt.

They're all nutters on ESA anyway, if they're so clever why can't they even get a job in the real world?!! Ask yourself that before taking any internet advice!

Good luck.

I'm sure people mean well, but they're ultimately all keyboard warriors shouting a good game about what you "should" do. But when you're actually in the job centre looking behind you for support in the real world?

Nope!

If you get sanctioned they will be nowhere to be seen, but they'll feel good for telling you what you should/would/could do.

They're all nutters on ESA anyway, if they're so clever why can't they even get a job in the real world?!! Ask yourself that before taking any internet advice!

Good luck.

Jonnie, I work full time with no benefits at all. So your term with

Seems slightly unfair.

Please may I ask you to consider what you post in future, any assistance given to the OP should be reasonable and helpful.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

They're all nutters on ESA anyway, if they're so clever why can't they even get a job in the real world?!!

Not all are "nutters on ESA", and some of us have actually found a proper job after claiming benefits. Furthermore, one or two of us will go above and beyond offering advice and guidance.

Certainly take advice posted on an anonymous forum with a little bit salt and temper it to fit in with the immediate circumstances. i.e. If you have an adviser demonstrating open hostility and hell bent on raising a benefit doubt, try to defuse the situation rather than stoking the fire.

I am not an ESA claimant and never have been. I suppose it's for others to judge whether or not I am a "nutter"...

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Sorry Lou...

Now that we are back to normality, with this, I would suggest you take it a step at a time, I have personally never had to deal with said programme.

Some may find it useful, some may not. Are you deffo being put to it?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Nope!

Good luck.

Isn't it just the case that you're on JSA and got sanctioned, It wasn't anyone's fault on here you got sanctioned, You came here for advice originally, Now because you didn't get the advice you thought may help you're case you are warning other users.

No need to take you're anger out on the forum or the people who give advice.

I know there is threads already about this but I went to my local job centre to sign on and my advisor said that I've been out of work for a year, he mentioned the work programme to me.

Is it as bad as people make out?

Thanks

The work program is a 2 year referral and 2 years must be completed which can be spread out through many years i.e. signing off then on won't make it go away.

The work program can be bad, Sometimes you might get power mad advisers who maybe a little harsh in how they react to you're job searches etc.

I next sign on Monday 8 February and it will be probably mentioned to me then. All he said that it would be additional support for me but will keep an eye on the post though.

I was told the same thing in 2012. I actually found the complete opposite.

Nope!

Good luck.

Are you saying everyone on ESA are mentally ill? if so can I have your contact details please, I a in no way mentally ill and on ESA for a physical problem! Who are you to pass such comments about peiople you dont know?

Are you deffo being put to it?

The government has made it mandatory for all the unemployed to be referred to a Work Programme provider after claiming qualifying benefits for twelve months. Some claimants will receive a mandatory referral earlier (JSA prison leavers on day one, 18-24 year old claimants after 9 months). The full list of groups and their entry point can be found in Annex A of the Work Programme Provider Guidance, Chapter 2.

It is worth reading all the guidance notes* issued by the DWP along with the live memos as these documents form part of the provider's contract. If the participant knows what the DWP expect, then they can challenge the provider if they overstep the line in terms of what they claim or do (or don't do in many cases).

*) WP provider guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/work-programme-dwp-provider-guidance

Generic guidance for ALL DWP funded programmes: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/framework-generic-guidance-provider-guidance

Running live memos: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/work-programme-provider-live-running-memos

Wind your neck in jonnietemple!

I don't know why you got sanctioned and you won't actually say, but if you've got the same attitude at the Job Centre as you have on this forum I'm not surprised you got sanctioned.

Louise

The rules and regulations covering the Work Programme are contained in the publication – Work Programme Provider Guidance

This Guidance, which is a government/DWP publication, may be accessed via this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/work-programme-dwp-provider-guidance

The first step in referring a claimant to the Work Programme is supposed to be undertaken at a person to person, face to face interview with a JCP adviser/coach.

In Chapter 1 - Introduction & Overview - the first step in referring a claimant to the Work Programme (WP) is clearly stated in paragraph 14:

Referral

14. Participants will be referred by Jobcentre Plus at a Work Programme referral interview, where they will be given information about their rights and responsibilities and the minimum service standards that they can expect from you. Jobcentre Plus will randomly allocate Participants, according to market share arrangements, and will supply you with information about each participant.

Paragraph 5 states:

5. All claimants due to join the Work Programme will be referred to you by Jobcentre Plus. Jobcentre Plus advisers will determine a claimant’s eligibility for the Programme and, where claimants have the option to volunteer, will determine whether the Work Programme is the most appropriate option for that person.

This means, then, that during this initial interview claimants must be given all the relevant information concerning the Programme including rights, responsibilities and the minimum service standards to expect. It also points out that the JCP adviser/coach should have already taken into account factors relating to the claimant’s eligibility for mandatory or voluntary referral in the first place. To this end claimants would be advised to ascertain for themselves which category of claimant they are and that the referral is appropriate in their circumstances.

In Chapter 2 – WP Claimant Groups - the different claimant groups that can participate in WP is outlined, so it is important to know this. Paragraph 6 lists the claimant groups/categories:

Claimant Participation Requirements

6. The participation requirements of claimants are dependent on whether they are:

Mandatory JSA participants - All JSA participants (regardless of whether they have opted for entry early) will be required to participate, and can be mandated to apply for or take up work if it is reasonable. The only exception are JSA participants in receipt of Credits Only who can decide to join the Work Programme and participate on a voluntary basis. (Further information regarding mandating participants and circumstances where participation restrictions must be taken into account can be found in: Work Programme Guidance Chapter 3a – Mandation).

Mandatory ESA participants - All mandatory ESA participants (regardless of whether they have opted for early entry) can be required to undertake work-related activity that is reasonable in their circumstances. You can support ESA participants to apply for and take up work, but you may not mandate these participants to apply for jobs, undertake medical treatment, take up work or unpaid work experience.

IS Lone Parent participants – where a lone parent who has a child aged 3 or 4 years volunteers for the Work programme, on or after 28/04/2014 their referral becomes mandatory. You can support IS participants to apply for and take up work, but you may not mandate these participants to apply for jobs, undertake medical treatment, take up work or unpaid work experience

Voluntary participants - Voluntary participants are not required to take part and their participation remains on an entirely voluntary basis. You may not mandate voluntary participants to undertake activity.

If you feel, during the interview and before signing the referral form, that there are points that need further advice or clarification ask to be given appropriate time for this. It is up to you to decide if the information you are given is adequate for deciding whether or not the activity being suggested is appropriate in your circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...