Please Help: Currys and Apple Store

j_123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I was wondering if you all could help me on the problems I have having dealing with Apple:

Model: (RETINA, 15-INCH, MID 2014)

Date of Purchase: 25-Dec-14

I have bought the Macbook Pro 2014 from Currys in store. I have tried a fresh install of the OS to rule out any software issues and this is one of the first things I tried before taking it into Apple in the hopes to getting the issues sorted and still no evident changes were made. The machine still over heats as and when it feels like and then the fans start to spin at full speed.

At the time of purchase, I took out the Apple 3 years extended cover luckily enough but to my demise its not really gone so smoothly.

First Visit to Apple Store:

Went into Apple Store on the 20/12/2015 for the following:

Existing Problems

1: MacBook Pro overheats intermittently under non-strenuous usage. For example:

Using the Photos application and viewing my photos

Using Spotify to play my music in the background

The spinning color wheel would appear and the machine would be non responsive for approx. 1 minute

Using Safari to brows the Internet and view YouTube and Vimeo videos.

2: Noticed fragments behind the glass display visible when using and not using the machine.

Results at Genius Bar by Employee:

After speaking to the Genius Apple technician and explaining to him thoroughly the issues I am experiencing with my MacBook Pro, he straight away acknowledged the issue with the display showing the fragments behind the screen.

To further examine and test for the overheating issues he ran a MRI, which passed.

He mentioned that we will run further diagnostics and testing for the overheating issues and we will replace your display. I received the ‘Work Authorization’ email explaining the display costs under warranty.

( Employee notes on email:

Issue: Cx states that display will go dim on every use and app, also Cx states that fragments are visible under the display glass on the top left area, Cx is also seeing spinning wheel when using the Mac and it also concerned about heat

Steps to Reproduce: Ran MRI - passed

Cosmetic Condition: Take at drop off

Proposed Resolution: Replace display due to fragments, also run asd OS and EFI after, test in user OS to replicate issue.

Cx will drop machine in 7 days

Cx is ok with erase and install as Mac should be backed up when Cx bring it back)

Apple then kept my MacBook Pro to repair. (or at least thats what I had hoped).

Final Result:

Received email confirmation stating machine is repaired and is ready for collection on 22/12/2015. I collected the laptop and was told that the repair was successful. To my misery, I arrive home the very same day and later that evening use the machine. The screen issue has been rectified but the initial main problem of overheating came back to haunt me.

At this point, I am a little annoyed to the fact I feel that my laptop has been taken in by apple and all they have done is changed the screen and practically handed it back to me.

After xmas and the new year I decided to go back and speak to the store manager and politely express my experience with his Genius team. He kindly listened and apologizes for the inconvenience caused and instantly rebooked my Macbook Pro in for further testing on the 10/01/2016. I am not confident in their statement about ‘further testing and diagnostics will be carried out’ as the overheating issues were unchanged.

Second Visit to Apple Store:

Went into Apple Store on the 10/01/2016 for the following:

Existing Problem:

1: MacBook Pro overheats intermittently under non-strenuous usage. For example:

Using the Photos application and viewing my photos

Using Spotify to play my music in the background

The spinning colour wheel would appear and the machine would be non responsive for approx. 1 minute

Using Safari to brows the Internet and view YouTube and Vimeo videos.

Spoke to Genius technician Employee:

He had asked me to use the machine as I would normally to see if the above issue reoccurs. So I did exactly that and the machine clearly showed the issues of overheating as the fans started to spin at full speed and the top plate started to get very hot.

The Genius technician agreed to my overheating problem as he self experienced the issues first hand. He ran a command ‘-uptime’ to see how long the machine was running and it showed 47 minutes. He did explain this is unusual and that the fans need to be replaced. He than sent me a ‘work authorization email’ instantly, displaying the cost of the left and right fan, which was under warranty.

Employee notes on email:

( Issue: customer states that's when he is running his Mac using it normally it starts to over heats and then the fan kick running at fast speed.

Steps to Reproduce: Ask the customer to use the Mac as he would at home or work, so I can see the issue for my self. Touching the upper case could feel the heat and the fans were running fast due to the heat build up inside the Mac

Cosmetic Condition: scuff marks on the bottom case, rest of the Mac is in well keep condition

Customer has back up and understand that there could be changes of lost data due to repair, therefore we are not hold responsible to any lost data due to repair.

Proposed Resolution:

- Run cooling drags and triage, try find out why it's over heating.

- Estimated Turn Around Time: We'll call you in 3 - 5 days)

Final Result:

Received email confirmation stating machine is repaired and is ready for collection on 12/1/2016.

Received a call from (Genius Technician) and she stated that she has carried out a number of tests which put the system under stress and found no abnormal operational activity. I am a little confused as to why I was told in confirmation that my fans will be changed and then did not end up being replaced.

In my frustration I took the MacBook back and ever since, I have been experiencing the same overheating issues.

My questions to you all are:

1: How can I get this issue resolved?

2: Am I allowed to request all testing diagnostics notes and any correspondence regarding my machine for my personal records?

3: Am I in my legal rights to ask for a replacement or a full refund from Currys?

Reason why I ask is because I would like to avoid waiting and wasting time for further testing only be then told they could not find any faults with it.

Kind Regards

J

Edited by j_123

I think what you are basically saying is that your Macbook has had faults since you bought it, which have not been resolved under warranty by Apple. Currys don't appear to have been involved in dealing with the faults and therefore i am not sure what actions you could expect from Currys. They will probably tell you to start a formal complaint with Apple UK head office in writing detailing what has happened. Apple will want to send the Macbook away again for a thorough test. If the Macbook came back again with the same faults, you would have to obtain an independent inspection of the Macbook and see what it says.

You could speak to the Citizens Advice consumer helpline, who have received training from Trading Standards in consumer law. They might be able to find out whether you can now involve Currys or have to deal with Apple under the warranty. Normally the retailer is responsible under Sale of Goods act for defects that existed when a product was sold. But you have not been dealing with Currys so far.

Consumer helpline link

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/

Please post back to confirm what you are advised. They might suggest a two prong approach. I.e contact both Currys and Apple to register formal complaints and see what they want to do.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

To be clear here, if you want to take any kind of action then it is Currys – who sold you the machine – who are responsible, despite any intervention by Apple.

Frankly if you going to start taking serious action then carries will be much easier to deal with than Apple

I was just wondering whether work done under warranty with the manufacturers caused any issues with a claim against Currys under SOGA. I would expect that Currys would say that Apple have inspected the Macbook and had not found any inherent defects, apart from a screen issue, leading to a replacement. Either the OP or Currys/Apple would need to get a technician to inspect it again, providing a report.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Apologies All, I should have mentioned that I did approach Currys and a member of their know how team did suggest for me to deal with Apple directly as it has been more than a year since I purchased the item from them.

I have been dealing with Apple since then and have stayed clear from Currys as they sounded rude and unhelpful at the time.

I am not sure what Currys would do in this instance. I did speak to a friend of mine who did mention to give Apple 3 opportunities to rectifiy the same problem and failing that then only should I seek further legal advice.

Questions:

1: Am I allowed to request all testing diagnostics notes and any correspondence regarding my machine for my personal records from Apple?

Regards

J

As I expect that the laptop has gone to Apple with the blessing of Currys, the liability remains with Currys whatever Apple do.

It seems to be clear that there is a defect that occurred either from the beginning or reasonably early on in the life of the computer.

Also, it is clear that Apple – who have the expertise with this model, unlike Currys – have provided a written note identifying the defect.

I don't think that there is any point in wasting any more time.

In my view, the matter needs to be rate with Currys. They of course will want to have it sent off to a repairer for inspection but that should be resisted. That part has all happened. What is needed now is a proposal for reimbursement by Currys because it would seem that the computer cannot be repaired even by Apple who are the manufacturers.

Currys of course who are not at all customer facing and always try to welsch out on their statutory consumer obligations will try to resist any kind of claim and will only start to put their hands up if the matter goes to court.

So it's up to the OP here as to what actually wants to take to get the matter finally sorted out once and for all.

In fact I have now just seen the most recent post from the OP and already we get Currys trying to shirk their duties by saying that because the computer is more than a year old, somebody should be dealing with it.

You find Currys rude and unhelpful? Oh dear what a surprise.

Currys at the time did seem to just brush me to a side. I felt as if I was being pushed to pillar to post, I mean its something that they felt they should pass the buck or at least thats how it came across.

I did ask for a technical stuff member to speak with and after waiting almost 30mins I realised that I really do have no hope with Curry's. The technical staff member asked me to take it Apple directly as its been more than one year now. I was at this point a little stumped in rage and anger not knowing what to do.

All I ever wanted was a Apple Macbook Pro with Retina to be fully functioning like it should be and not be giving me all this hassle.

So should I stick to my guns re approach Currys for a refund or exchange? If so how would I go about doing this?

I do apologise I am still learning the whole laws around consumer rights and still very much new to this area.

In an earlier post i included a link to the Citizens Advice helpline. They have been trained by Trading Standards and they will tell you what rights you have, so you can contact Currys with more authority.

I suspect that the reality of the situation is that you are going to have to prove that there were manufacturing faults and that Currys under SOGA have to fully repair or provide a replacement. This might prove tricky, given that Apple have looked at the Macbook under the warranty. Apple are unlikely to provide the data from their tests to you and even if they did it might not reveal much.

Think you will have to register formal complaints to Currys and Apple head offices. Currys have responsibilities under SOGA and Apple under the extended warranty. It is just which is the best way to achieve the result you want.

• Sad 1

Thank you all for your advice so far.

I think my step is to call the Citizens Advice Helpline and take things from there onwards.

I will be sure to keep you all posted on the progress on this situation.

Kind Regards

J

I'm sorry but the advice that you have received from UncleBulgaria above is not very helpful.

By all means contact citizens advice if you wish, but I'm afraid it will be fairly wasteful of your time. The advice that you will receive from citizens advice will be pretty well the same as you receive here except that on this forum we will assist you to confront Currys and yet far more rapid solution.

Citizens advice are well-intentioned but they are under resourced and it is likely that they will advise you to engage in further discussions and negotiations and quite frankly this will just create further delays.

I think that you have reached the end of the road as far as expecting voluntary enthusiastic help from Currys and the only thing to do now is to make it clear that you're prepared to take some formal action in order to assert your consumer rights.

Also, I disagree that you will have to prove that there is any manufacturing defect. You have got a written opinion from an Apple engineer that there is a problem with the computer – and that is all you need. The job has been done for you and this is why the matter could be quite straightforward – although you will need to be assertive your approach.

By all means go to citizens advice if you wish and please come back here and let us know how it went and whether you find that it is satisfactory.

UncleBulgaria has been on this forum a long time and has a certain amount of experience but I'm afraid I do not understand why he gives this kind advice which is calculated merely to fall into line with whatever customer procedures the company has in place – which don't exist to help you, they exist to further the interests of the company. Currys – and PC World are good shops and you can get good prices and a good selection of equipment there. However, for the most part the sales staff are very run-of-the-mill, and they appear to be poorly trained particularly in so far as consumer rights are concerned. If you look through the stories on this forum relating to Currys you will find that there are many other stories which are similar to yours and the only way they have been resolved is by the customer eventually losing patience and threatened legal action for eventually taking legal action – which always produces a result.

MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display Mid 2014 Right Fan ... - iFixit

https://www.ifixit.com/...Pro+15-Inch+Retina...Mid+2014...Fan.../27690

Replace the Right Fan in your MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display Mid 2014. ..... I've never had any problems with any mac regarding heat (they do get hot, but it is ..

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

If the OP searches online, it appears that the Macbook pro they have, does have the issues they describe.

http://machmachines.com/macbook-pro-retina-overheating-fix-now/

Apple must be aware of this and i question what they are doing to help customers.

Bankfodders suggested strong approach may or may not work against Currys, but if the OP has been dealing with Apple under the extended warranty, i would question how any Judge would view any claim. This is why i have suggested getting advice from Citizens Advice Consumer helpline. The OP mentions getting an email admitting the overheating, but after that Apple tested the Macbook and did not replace any fans or other parts. I suspect Apple are aware of these issues and are just hoping customers live with problems, without having to start replacing parts on any scale.

There is plenty of information about this Macbook problem online and on Youtube. You can download software to help with the problem and to monitor the temperatures. Some also advise getting an external USB fan ?

I note some in the US have managed to get replacements from stores, after recording temperatures and logging what applications they are using. Perhaps you need to start making a full record of what you are experiencing.

Update:

I called the citizens advice helpline and I was advised to stop my dealings with Apple and start dealing with Curry's.

I explained them everything I have listed above and was told to write a letter of the faulty goods you have purchased from Currys. Clearly explaining:

- The issues with the Macbook and provide the email notes provided by Apple on their work authorisation emails and explain to them that Apple has failed to resolve the issues. To also write and add the following:

- As Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) goods you supply must be of satisfactory quality, be fit for purpose and match their description. As there was a problem with the goods when I bought them, I request that you provide me with a replacement, refund or exchange.

I must send it to Curry's head office and demand a reply within 14 days.

This is really turning out longer than I expected. Thank you for that link: UncleBulgaria - I did give the steps on this site a go and still no changes have been made.

I really don't expect to purchase external USB fans to attach onto a £2k Apple MacBook Pro, Id have gladly bought external USB fans for normal pc laptop had I bought one for 300 - 400 pounds.

My bet is that Currys will want to send the Macbook away for inspection. The people who inspect them will be aware of the overheating problems and if they cannot find a faulty part, it will come back as there not being a problem.

In the letter you clearly need to state that Currys told you to contact Apple and that Apple have had plenty of chance to deal with the issues. Also advise that the Citizens Advice Consumer helpline have advised you of your rights and that it was up to Currys to provide a remedy, which must now be a replacement, refund or exchange.

Once Currys respond, come back for further advice. You might be faced with having to go down the route as Bankfodder suggested, which is to threaten and follow up with a small court claim. It would not be quick, but gives you a chance of getting a refund. My only slight concern is that Currys might say that they have not had chance for their own inspection.

I have read of people with the same Macbook having to drill holes in the case to help with the overheating. It sounds like some of the parts fitted are not up to standard and the way it is built is not what you should expect for £2k.

Hi all,

I am in the middle of writing my complaint letter and I would like to ask:

Should I explain further the problems and inconvenience it has caused me and how rudely I have been treated by their staff at my local Currys superstore?

Also should I mention anything about having already got to apple to rectify the Issue ?

After all this headache all i want now is either a replacement or my money back.

Please share with me your thoughts.

Once again all help is much appreciated.

Thanks

J

You should stick to what is relevant regarding this particular Macbook and not get side tracked.

E.g you did approach Currys first, anything relevant to Currys about reporting issues with this Macbook. A full account of what Apple did regarding the Macbook, what current problems you are experiencing with the Macbook, that these problems have been present for x amount of time, your rights under SOGA as advised by Citizens Advice and be clear what you are expecting from Currys i.e refund, replacement or exchange.

I stick with my prediction that Currys will want to have the Macbook inspected and won't agree to anything unless they have this opportunity. I am not sure whether you would be successful in court, unless Currys were given opportunity to have the Macbook inspected to check for the issues you advise them. Currys will be fully aware of there being problems with these Macbooks and i just can't see them readily accepting having to refund or replace.

If they offer to even repair it as long as it is repaired successfully and as long as I do not experience the same problems there after I really wouldn't mind that.

It is just a little confusing knowing that Apple could not or did not go ahead with the repair for some reason unknown, So I am not sure how this all is going to pan out.

How much of the law can really help me ?

Apple the same as any large company will avoid admitting to problems with their products. I suspect fitting new fans of the same type would not cure the overheating. Therefore they did not do it.

The SOGA is there to uphold your consumer rights that you should expect the product as it was sold to you. If it is not working properly and has had these problems since you bought it, which Apple have not fixed, then you should expect a refund or replacement.

My anxiety in these situations is that the retailer will want to send it off to inspection and the companies they use will conveniently find no problems with the product. You then get it sent back to you, with a report saying it is working properly. This then makes it very difficult to pursue, without you getting a helpful alternative report. Which is why you might want to try to resist an inspection by Currys, unless it is truly an independent inspection.

I have read of plenty of peope having problems with these Macbook retina models and nothing to say Apple or retailers are doing anything to help.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Its sure been a while and loads has gone on in my personal life since which has led me to put this to a side and carry on with super light tasks using this MacBook pro. I wrote the letter to Currys at the time but did not press print and failed to send it to them. The reasons for this was because I was:

1: Totally sick of Curry's and Apple

2: Preparing for career/ work (industry examinations) which literally took over my life.

In the attempt to take this ahead with much mite and anticipation my career progress steered me swiftly away from this at the time.

It doesn't end there. Even with the Career progress and exams preparations, I took the MacBook into Apple on the 21/3/16 for the initial overheating problem. This is where I received a work authorisation email stating the following:

Employee Notes On Email:

Problem Description/Diagnosis

Customer also states that the machine is getting very hot.

Steps to Reproduce: Verified issue at bar visually. Happens in kg OS. MRI passed. Unable to verify temperature at the bar but have explained that because the customer uses a lot of music software this may make it heat up.

Cosmetic Condition: Clamshell has very minor chips around edges, no dents or scratches

Display had minor marks but no cracks or scratches

Top case has minor chips around edges but no dents, scratches or scuffs

Bottom case is in very good condition with no scratches or scuffs. Slight marks from being in a case. All feet and screws present.

Proposed Resolution: Replace display in warranty and run cooling system diagnostics. Customer usually has the computer in a case which I said could add to the heat issue.

Results:

Display was replaced but nothing else. At this point I was done with it all and just totally sick of taking any actions forwards.

After all this time I thought right the best thing to do is give this trial one more hit.

The Apple Care plan which I took out ends 25-Dec-17. So I thought it would be wise enough to take it back into Apple and give them the last benefit of the doubt in rectifying the issues at hand with the machine over heating.

On the 23-Nov-17 I take the the MacBook back into Apple explains to them that I am experiencing the same overheating issues I have been since over a year ago. They suggested for me to re install the operating system, to which I had them do for me. They seemed very reluctant and unhelpful as they were when I first approached them. So no change there.

After the operating system was installed a day or two later I was experiencing the same issues with the heat etc. At this point I thought I better call Apple support up and see if I can gain any help this way.

So I called up Apple care on the 4-Dec-17 and explained to them very firmly exactly whats has been going on and was told that they will arrange a collection and have their senior service technicians to test the machine.

The next day they collected the machine and then called me on the 6th dec 17 stating that they put it under a series of tests and found that the overheating issue is actually occurring and is due to a fault in the logic board (motherboard). A day later on the 7th Dec 17 I received a call saying that this would be replaced under the warrenty at no cost to yourself. The MacBook will be then delivered back to me on Monday the 11-Dec-17.

To my initial thought all along after may hours of reading tech forums and speaking with tech geeks I had a strong sense that it was the logic board at fault here but for some reason Apple in store found joy in brushing me to the side each and every time I approached them for the same problem.

So Result at the end of the tunnel. The logic board has now been replaced and I await for the delivery.

My question is:

1: Can I demand for my care to be extended for a year under no cost as I feel that I have been well and truly fobbed and brushed to a side here in this whole instance. Not sure why but it seems I have. Its either the in store techs are not capable of their duties of inspection and repairs which has resulted me to call in and have Apple collect the MacBook to only then use Group 8 to get it looked at and actually repaired.

Having lost faith in my local Apple store and would not go their again.

no.

if you want a long answer it is an insurance product so anything that went wrong and was pointed out to them whist it was covered would have to be fixed eve if the coevr had expired by the time they gt round to it but you cant demand they insure you for free. Basically you werent prevented from using their service regardless of how disappointed you were with it initially

So am I under the impression that those who take out Apple Care (3 year cover) for their MacBook Pro computers will have to wait till the last moth of their agreement to get a main board repair carried out? (As this is what has exactly happened) The same issue which I have been constantly raising with them from over a year ago.

I say this because I have been in store a number of times showing and explaining to the genus bar techs the issues I am facing with the computer and then only to be told that this is normal and expected behaviour. It is strange to know what I have been told over the tech counter that overheating under such low load for example using iMovie to edit iPhone recorded footage (1 -2 minutes) and browsing a few youtube videos using Safari browser will cause the fans to spin at full throttle and after some time will switch of the machine.

I think they have been reluctant and very unfair here in their attempt to offer a timely repair which was a year overdue. Absoloutely terrible if you ask me.

So am I under the impression that those who take out Apple Care (3 year cover) for their MacBook Pro computers will have to wait till the last moth of their agreement to get a main board repair carried out?

(As this is what has exactly happened) The same issue which I have been constantly raising with them from over a year ago.

I think they have been reluctant and very unfair here in their attempt to offer a timely repair which was a year overdue. Absoloutely terrible if you ask me.

You were advised on what to do.

You typed up a letter (and in your own words “didn’t press print”).

Of course they’ll leave it a year / leave it until the last month of AppleCare if YOU leave it until then!

You were advised on what to do.

You typed up a letter (and in your own words “didn’t press print”).

Of course they’ll leave it a year / leave it until the last month of AppleCare if YOU leave it until then!

I think you may have missed the point here. It seems as if the same issue which has been kicking on their door from the begging is only actually actioned upon in the last month of care. It quite clearly has been brushed to the side and not been taken seriously as it should have been since day one. Their test results would show no different from then to now. So the question that springs to mind is... Why on earth did it take them(Apple Care) this long to rectify a problem which was diagnosed and reported at the very beginning?

I think you may have missed the point here. It seems as if the same issue which has been kicking on their door from the begging is only actually actioned upon in the last month of care. It quite clearly has been brushed to the side and not been taken seriously as it should have been since day one. Their test results would show no different from then to now.

I think you’ve missed the point.

You should have persisted (earlier) to get it resolved.

By being so passive / inactive they can say “Ohh, we thought it had been resolved”, giving them an easy ‘get out’.

Their behaviour has been far from ideal, but you’ve enabled / tolerated / provided an excuse for it!

So the question that springs to mind is... Why on earth did it take them(Apple Care) this long to rectify a problem which was diagnosed and reported at the very beginning?

Because you left it 10 months, and they’ll claim they thought it was resolved.