Nine UK banks launch fee-free accounts

Michael Browne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nine High Street banks and building societies in the UK are to launch basic bank accounts which will not charge a fee for missed payments.

The new accounts will be available from 1 January to people who fail to qualify for a full current account.

But current basic bank account holders may not be automatically switched to a fee-free account – so you should contact your provider to check

Users of the new accounts will also qualify for a debit card, which they can use to shop online, or at cash points. But they will not be able to run up an overdraft.

Nine banking groups have agreed to offer fee-free basic bank accounts:

• Barclays – Barclays Basic Current Account
  • The Co-operative Bank – Cashminder
  • HSBC – Basic Bank Account
  • Lloyds Banking Group (Bank of Scotland, Halifax and Lloyds) – Basic Account
  • National Australia Bank Group (including Clydesdale Bank and Yorkshire Bank) – Readycash Account
  • Nationwide – FlexBasic
  • RBS Group (NatWest, Royal Bank of Scotland and Ulster Bank) – Foundation Account and Basic Account (England and Wales)
  • Santander – Basic Current Account
  • TSB – Cash Account

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35168705

" Nine million basic account holders will now not be charged for missing a direct debit payment, or a standing order.

Previously they might have paid up to £35 per failed payment, sometimes pushing them into an overdraft, so increasing the charges further. "

And yet the courts failed to agree with the OFT:roll:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Santander and Nationwide have had their fee free accounts for a few years - although Nationwide have renamed theirs - I cant remember what it used to be called.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 weeks later...

yep, reducing further the interest on a/cs in the positive, and on savings a/c's, job losses, flogging loans, etc

also, was part of the agreement so as to avoid regulation.

Natwest have just told me they are moving me to a new 'Foundation Account' on the 5th April.

I have a Basic Account at the moment where they charge you £6.00 for each unpaid transaction up to a maximum of £60 for each charging period.

They say the new Foundation Account will give me all the same services but I won't be charged for unpaid transactions.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert