Liable for council tax for flatmate who is in prison

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend shared a house with a man for a few months.

She was not in a relationship with him nor was he a friend.

She just happened to live in the same house.

She left the house about 4 months ago and apparently the man she shared with is now in prison.

She is being pursued by the council for this man's unpaid council tax.

I understand that the council is allowed to pursue fellow tenants,

but is this still the case when the council knows where the other person is living (ie prison?)

Is there any way that she can avoid having to pay someone else's debt?

Did your friend inform the Council she had left the property franny ?

The property will be exempt from Council Tax if you’re single, in prison or on remand, and there’s no one living there

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your response Andy. Yes as far as I am aware she informed the council because she made a claim for HB for the place she moved into. I'm not sure if the council are pursuing her for CT for the period when they shared the house or after she left. It just seems unfair that she gets landed with his bill. She seems to have done everything right but he was working (not sure if he was also claiming benefit) and getting cash in hand.

Well all she needs is proof of is the date she left the property and informed the council...the date the friend was incarcerated (the property is exempt from that date onwards)

You need to find out what dates they are chasing her for.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

when you say shared a house, were they joint tenants or did they have separate tenancies/licences?

did your friend terminate the tenancy/licence when she moved out?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.