• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

How should I deal with a MINT debt which dates back to 2007?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3007 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been trying to sort things for a while and have made great strides in the past with other credit cards debts, but seem to hit a brick wall with a MINT credit card debt.

I am seeking views on what I approach I should take next with a MINT debt of £10k?

In 2007 I went via a debt management company (which has since gone bump) in trying to settle and sort debts - some of which resulted in FULL and FINAL settlements. Mint at this time refused to consider offers of settlement - other debts since, I have also done FULL and FINAL settlements myself.

However one debt which is hanging seems to be that of MINT - the debt doesn't appear on any Noddle or Experian credit reports, and defaulted in 2006/7 so the six years is up.

During the time of the debt it has passed via many debt companies such as Newmans, Wescot, Capquest to name but a few, Currently it's back with MINT who send me monthly credit card statements.

Over the recent few years things got worse financially (due to many reasons) which resulted in me then going via Step Change who only provide me with a income and expenditure and advisement of - "clearly you cannot afford to pay anything but try and pay your debtors a token £1 payment when and where you can". (they do not manage or deal direct with debtors on my behalf)

In a review when I passed my income and expenditure to Wescot, they said even though I have be paying £1 they could no longer accept this I quite clearly I could not afford it, and would therefore refer back to the client. Time when by and then I was notified the matter had been passed to Capquest and the same happened in that I provided the Step Change income and expenditure and again they said they could take no payments as clearly I couldn't afford it and they'll refer the matter back to the client.

Nothing has been paid against this debt for about 18 months.

After a while I then heard back from MINT direct (early 2015) who asked for a income and expenditure which I supplied and who they themselves say I cannot afford to pay anything and they will note their system accordingly and they will get back in touch.

Since that time, all I get is a monthly credit card statement and I am now wondering how to approach this matter or should I ignore it?

I would not wish the matter to result in a CCJ as I have managed thus far to avoid CCJ's whilst I have been trying to sort things out. I am unsure weather to be proactive even though nothing much (if anything) has changed in my affordability.

Not sure how long I have had the MINT card but I can find statements back to 2003, but have a feeling I may have had it even longer

Any help would be appreciated

Well if it isn't showing on your Credit files then 6 years has passed since they placed a default marker on the file.

However, you have apparently been making payments to them up until 18 months ago and have also acknowledged liability by providing them with an income and expenditure statement. So the debt cannot be statute barred :(

If they have agreed that your financial circumstances are such that you are unable to make payment and you have this in writing, I don't see them issuing a claim against you.

Unless, do you have your own property ? If not, and your circumstances are unlikely to change any time soon, then I guess you could ask them to write the debt off - although £10,000 is quite a lot and they might just be prepared to hang in there in the hope that you win the lottery ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks citizenB for the reply

I do not have any written acceptance or notification from them concerning my financial circumstances - only verbal during a telephone conversation which they instigated in early 2015.

Yes I do own a house so do you think they hanging in to target this avenue latter?

I agree, it would be foolish of them to try any court action if they know of your financial situation, unless of course you own a property?

IMO I'd ignore them until your situation improves, but would be inclined NOT to make any further token payments as it will drag on for years to come.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

sar time

how much of this debt is PP/Penalty charges etc etc too.

on a side note

I really do hope you sent a CCA request to everyone before you started to settle with them.

esp powerless DCA's.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Bazooka Boo & dx100uk

Thinking that this debt will not just go away,

what I wished to do was try to find some sort of resolve ASAP as I wish to try and get back on an even keel,

but realising that I do not have the resources to to pay the debt in full or regular payments.

No a CCA request has not been sent to MINT

- so is that something I could do /or need to do to try and sort this matter out?

Or has the act of me providing income and expenditure voided this route of action?

I cannot see any PPI payment made in relation to this card, however I should imagine there are late payments charges etc

I have a feeling that although the MINT debt is over 6 years old, you may have inadvertently resurrected it by starting to make payments, even though you haven't made a payment for 18 months. If I am right then a new 6 year period will commence once a new default is registered - maybe a Clever Cagger will shed light on this point.

no CCA will put you in a far stronger position to offer an F&F.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

He means that by sending a CCA request it will either put it to bed once and for all, or they will come up with the agreement, either way a CCA request should be sent.

If they don't have a valid CCA then you can offer them a low F&F, instead of being cash cowed.

Just to correct Miss Hope, once a default has dropped off the CRF then it can never be placed on the file again, it has outlived it's six year life, so there is no worries about them adding anything on the OP's CRF, if they did, then this would be money in the OP's pocket on successfully suing them for defamation.

All that has happened is that they have another 4 or five years in which to try and take legal action as with any payment it restarts the limitation clock, hence why paying them the legal token payment of £1 a month, isn't advantageous to the OP.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!