Cabot/Restons Claimform - old Halifax Current account OD debt

skanker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks

I received a letter from Cabot Financial today saying "you account is now being reviewed to determine whether we should commence legal action against you"

I defaulted on a number of accounts in 2008 and have been paying a token £1 payment to all creditors since that date up until the start of this year 2015.

None of the original debts are on my credit reference file anymore so i stopped paying the token amount around this time to see how things panned out.

I've hardly heard a thing from any of my creditors apart from Capquest and Cabot who both took over different accounts. Capquest have been fine for now but cabot are being VERY persistent and have been sending letters almost weekly since April this year culminating with the letter i received today.

To clarify. Cabot currently own two debts, one being from an old Halifax overdraft of £2k and the other a Barclaycard default of £7k. The letter i received today if referencing the Halifax account only but i presume i have another letter heading my way regarding the Barclaycard account also.

A quick look on the site i see they are actually pushing through with these threats so im asking for some advice on this matter from anyone qualified to hand it out.

Any opinions are most welcomed.

Many thanks!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pers I'd not kickmpram wheels

Cabot are always aggressive around xmas they need mugs to pay for the xmas drinkies

Shame you blindly paid all those years

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have ignored all their letters and have also blocked their phone calls so im fully aware of how much they are wanting to make contact. The threat of court action did get my attention tho.

Are you suggesting i wait till i actually receive a solicitors letter before submitting the CCA request?

Thanks

Yep. They have to send a sol letter as part of pre action protocol. Cabot rarely chase legit debts. There's almost always something wrong with them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Chances are they are after the 7k one. Can you give some background on it. Dates of payments , when you took the cc out. Has it been passed around multiple DCA's?

For 7k, chances are cabot may try their luck in court. So in MY opinion, i would start doing a little homework. Dont send cabot anything just yet. You dont want to let on that you are smarter than them if theyre foolish enough to put a claim in.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

The Barclaycard account was opened around 2004 and defaulted in 2008. It is no longer on my credit file.

Having just looked through my very large box of letters

i can see since 2007 its been in the hands of Calder Financial, Mercers and ScotCall with Cabot taking it over in December 2014.

I've been paying a token £1 amount on all my defaulted accounts since the default dates

and just let them run as it seemed the easiest thing to do.

I only stopped these payments at the start of this year

once i started getting letters from Cabot and a few other firms relating to different accounts.

I thought i'd see how that went down and for the most part i've had no issues as yet

but Cabot and Capquest have been making contact with Cabot being the most persistent of the two.

Can i ask for more clarity on your 'homework' advice please?

I intend to do my upmost to swerve both firms but there is a lot of information on here and im unsure where to start!

Many thanks

Ok. so cabot will need the original Agreement, terms and conditions, changes through the life of the account until termination, plus statements.

Safe to say its very unlikely theyll have that.

it might well pay you to sar the original creditors on both that are giving you grief,

nothing like getting prepared

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Cabot may well try their hand thinking you dont know anybetter, but its a very good idea to get all info from the OC anyway. If they dont go ahead with their threats, you can still claim back charges, or if they do go ahead, you will have much more paperwork than they do.

but you NEVER EVER reveal anything you have to a DCA.

dx

and they

• 4 weeks later...

New year greetings folks!

I've literally just landed back home from visiting relatives over the holiday period

to find letter from Restons Solicitors threatening court action regarding the former 2k Halifax overdraft mentioned above.

It's dated 21/12 so its was obviously sent with the intention of catching me out and it has done just that.

The date for reply on the letter is Monday 4th january so i have no chance of making contact via letter by that date

but any advice you may be willing to offer would be most appreciated as this has me stressed to say the least..

Im very jet lagged and tired so will hit the sack but hopefully there will be some advice waiting for me once im refreshed in the morning

Happy new year and thanks!

images.pdf

Edited by skanker

who says you've GOT to respond a powerless dca

can you remove the bar and Qcode boxes and convert that letter to pdf please

dx

and they

Hi DX and many thanks for chiming in.

Are you suggesting this letter is not to be taken seriously then?

I'd be lying if i said it didn't have me concerned but im all ears to anyone with more experience regarding these matters

as i can see this being the start of many coming my way.

No doubt the Barclaycard account mentioned above will be next on their list.

Ps, I've amended the above attachment as requested

cabot are marlin are cabot all the same.

its a discount letter

read it properly

doesn't say WILL anything anywhere.

dx

and they

what part of 'its a discount letter'

are you not understanding.......

dx

and they

well use your brain

people only ever come here if a claim has been issued.

we prob see

of those

very few are lost once we've helped people.

esp on SB debts..

that's why we call them rectums.

biggest fleecers outhere

easily defeated

and they

• 3 weeks later...

As i expected, a claim form from Restons arrived in today. Its dated January 18th and is for £2000 + fees totalling £2244.

Im just reading through the paperwork now but my first thoughts are

Any advice on this subject would be most appreciated guys as i have no idea what to do?

Many thanks

Did you CCA them?

Cabot and restons will issue claims like confetti hoping to get a default judgement.

Once you file a defence and they see you know what you are doing, they withdraw fast.

The old info telling you to ignore Cabot is outdated.

They almost always issue claims now which is why it's a far better idea to get your homework done while they're just yelling.