style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This relates to a previous thread. When you are on a meter?????????

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?354115-Get-a-Rain-Barrel-%28Water-Butt%29

You can also save your grey water for use on your garden. Use a similar water butt system to collect water from your sink and washing machine (bath water would need a pump, and not enough shower water to justify a pump unless flooded with teenagers.

Collecting sink water is fine but avoid edible food waste (attracts vermin). Mine goes straight down the loo, small piece only, or else collected in a bag for our dog poo bin. Can't put such waste in a refuse bag cos of our fox problem.

I use a simple submersible pond pump ca £30 to pump out into a hose pipe for distribution to the flower beds.

Does it smell, slight sniff of washing machine water but it goes after half an hour.

My meter consumption is down from 100L/day to

I could go completely off drain

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/may/12/humanure-composting-toilets

but lets not go down there just yet:-D

• 1 year later...
Guest Mrs Hobbit

We are grey water users and have a very low water and sewerage bill. This half year it was £96.00. We are on a meter. Just took some replumbing to get the waste water where we wanted it. I use the washing machine and bath water for flushing the toilets, the holding tank is always full and the kitchen waste water for the garden. we are looking at composting eco toilet system, but not sure how the local council will react. Still trying to find out if we need planning permission for this installation. If it works on the boat, it has to work in the house.

We also collect the roof water. Saves a lot of money.

Also rewired the house, have new energy saving appliances, changed energy suppliers and saved over £400.00 this year. Hobbit is looking at installing a wind turbine. He is a retired electrical engineer.

Yes you can pretty much live off grid and not have any utility bills at all. i think many people would buy small plots of land and live in eco homes, without needing to be contracted to utility companies. But authorities in the UK don't make it easy.

In Australia, if you live remotely, they have a toilet system, where you can store all waste into a device that converts it into fertiliser for the garden. All toilets in the house run the waste into it. It is not a septic tank, but a purpose built converter for human waste.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Yep, we had one of those. if you travel the highways in OZ you will find most of the road side conveniences have composting toilets and rain water collection tanks, also there is the return of the large water collection tanks for toilets and washing machines in suburbia. I love my son's new build. we had to fight the local council back home, when we built our new house back in the 80's to have a rain water tank, they wanted us hooked up to the town water supply and the restrictions this entailed. The same council now contributes $100.00 to each household that has a rain tank installed. how times have changed. when i was kid, we would go out and tap the tank to see how empty it was. This tank supplied drinking water as well bath water. A few frogs lived in there. None of us ever got ill from drinking this water.

BTW I am Aussie and found a lot of the regulations over here stifling and restrictive. Slowly I have been converting this house to being more eco friendly.