• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Capquest and Drydens Fairfax chasing old egg debt

Tired and Weary
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi First post here.

I have an old debt with Egg from around 2000 for roughly £2900.

I was on a CAB plan paying £1 token payment for a while at the time but stopped paying ,

I never heard anything for years and now Capquest own the debt .

I think I might remember paying them £10 a month 3-4 years ago for a while but due to financial hardship stopped paying.

Though I cant be certain on this as I cant seem to find any details at the moment.

They have recently sent me letters again and have refered it to Drydens Fairfax who have given me to the 30th Nov to offer a payment proposal otherwise court action.

Which means I`ll have to send them a ltter either today or tomorrow

.What should I do , offer £5 a month or something or play hardball.

I don't really want a CCJ as I already have one from Drydens at £10 a month for another card debt.

I wish I had know of the Statute Barred act before I may(possibly) have paid Capquest 3-4 years ago as it was probably unenforceable back then.

thanks

Tired and Weary

Hi & welcome to CAG,

Send Drydens Fairfax a CCA request, enclose a £1 postal order & send via recorded delivery so that you have full traceability, print off and keep the delivery receipt as well so best to grab a folder.

Drydens have 12 + 2 working days to produce a vaid CCA, the + 2 working days are to allow for service of postage, if however they are unable to produce a valid CCA, then you can refuse all payments until they comply.

When did you take the card out? Was it before 2007?

Do not ring them and if anyone rings you, refuse security questions and hang up. Keep a paper trail.

CCA request template letter... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387435-CCA-Request-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974-**Updated-January-2015**(1-Viewing)-nbsp

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Hi Thanks, will this stop the court action,

I have found details from Egg dated Feb 2001

saying your credit account has been closed

and the balance is £1633.97 NOT £2900 as Drydens and Capquest are claiming.

I took the card out in around 1998- 2000.

I have just found a letter from Capquest dated oct 2011 saying a statutory demand was sent to you in Nov 2010 and I responded by offering a proposal to pay and the offer was accepted and legal process halted.

However because of my failure to comply with the instalments ...

.. This is the last I heard from them I think.

The balance on that letter is £2469.21.

Are third party debt collectors allowed to add interest /fees to a debt?

Edited by Tired and Weary

Hi,

It might not stop Court action in the future but if they are unable to produce a fully valid and legal CCA request and with the account being opened before 2007, that would be a perfect defence.

Also, as Drydens are chasing on behalf of Craapyquest, only Capquest as the owner of the debt can take Court action.

Get the CCA request off today & then just sit back and wait, when they reply post back and update the thread.

Don't worry about the amounts for now, you will find that the debt has passed through several DCA's and the figure does get inflated, this can be sorted out later on.

Have you claimed back any PPI (if selected) or charges?

If you do not have all of the original statements, get an SAR off to Egg (now Barclaycard) and get reclaiming, an SAR costs £10 but will include all old statements, never use a claims Company, you can do this yourself for free, any questions just ask away.

The SAR template is in the Library section on the top toolbar.

Any monies that you reclaim goes directly to you as the account has now been sold.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Before you got spoofed into paying them before

When was the last payment you made to egg?

And read the letter properly

It does not say will anywhere

As for the old SD did you not defend it?

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Probably around 2003 was the last payment to egg

, though I haven't found any details of a last payment to Egg yet

,it was part of a repayment plan set up by the CAB.

The SD was a threat as far as I know, that after I arranged a payment plan with Capquest was ceased

.I didn't know what to do about the SD at the time I just read on the internet about forcing you into bankrupcy and agreed a payment plan with capquestm I think I just panicked!

I also have no idea when it was supposedly sold to Capquest other than the threat in 2011.

Urm..so there was prob a 6yrs gap in payments?? Poss statue barred

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

But doesn't the 6 year period restart if you start making payments to a debt collector who has supposedly bought the debt.

Just found this

its the only mention ive came across as yet

it was sent at the same time as the other account capquest /drydens took me to court over and got a ccj around 12-18 months ago..

They were sent in sept or oct 2009

,the egg one only shows payments up to august 2009 when they raised the payment (and maybe I stopped paying then) and they are charging 12 % interest on the balance.

So may be 6 years?????

Should I send a letter stating its Statute barred???

and I don't acknowledge it.

I have already just sent off for a CCA

Edited by dx100uk
att removed showing ac number

if you were paying £10pm 3to4 years ago it is not statute barred but if last payment/ack was aug 2009 then it would be

the main focus here will be the cca request for a card of that age if not sb

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

I aslso found this from apr 2009.

It says for debt purchased from egg banking but underneath says on behalf of our client egg banking ?????

Thanks for the reply

,I got that wrong ,its as stated in the attachment £15 which was raised to £18 and im almost certain nothing since then 2009.

Can I assmue that prior to the above payment start you had been paying egg directly going back 6yrs

That's what I was trying assertian

and they

that is why this has resurfaced, find out when the last payment was made and you will them know when the debt becomes SB. I would bet that it is either already so or just about to become so.

If it was more recent than that they would be just carrying on with a payment plan.

As far as I know the last payment was august 2009 to Capquest ,I havet found anything to say otherwise.

DX, I was paying Egg £1 a month through a CAB debt repayment plan. I only kept this up for about a year . Then I didn't pay anything directly to Egg again.

Must have started paying Capquest I late 2008 under threat of the Statutory demand.

As far as I know at the moment no payments made to Capquest since august 2009.

Drydens have been ringing all week , have had no acknowledgement of the CCA request yet.

Thanks

So when did you stop paying egg?

If it was 6yrs before you then paid someone else..you got spoofed and the debt was already sb'd

You can't reset the SB once it's past 6yrs once sb'd always sb'd

So if that period or the period from 2009 till date of claim form

Is more then 6yrs go file the SB defence

Dx

Then its sb'd

and they

I stopped paying egg around 2002 as far as im aware.

I may have had letters from debt collector afterwards but ignored them until circa 2008 when Capquest threatened the SD.

So are you saying that if I started making payment after 6 years the Statue Barred 6 year period doesn't get reset and is still enforced..

Drydens have me for a ccj for another debt through Capquest (bank of scot mastercard) .

I was paying £10 a month to capquest then stopped in 2009 .

They took me to court in dec 20013 and got a ccj.

Are you saying that one also should not have been to court as it was statute barred before Capquest took payments from me in 2008-2009.

It was also on a £1 a month CAB plan which I stopped paying in around 2002 as well.

Can you query a CCJ if it was statute barred at the time but I didn't realise?

I stopped paying egg around 2002 as far as im aware.

I may have had letters from debt collector afterwards but ignored them until circa 2008 when Capquest threatened the SD.

So are you saying that if I started making payment after 6 years the Statue Barred 6 year period doesn't get reset and is still enforced..correct as long a s 6yrs has expired

Drydens have me for a ccj for another debt through Capquest (bank of scot mastercard)

I was paying £10 a month to capquest then stopped in 2009

They took me to court in dec 20013 and got a ccj.

Are you saying that one also should not have been to court as it was statute barred before Capquest took payments from me in 2008-2009.

It was also on a £1 a month CAB plan which I stopped paying in around 2002 as well. - a clear 6yes between payments

Can you query a CCJ if it was statute barred at the time but I didn't realise?

- yes

and they

Just an update

heard nothing since last week,

sent a CCA request and another letter on two different occasions almost a week ago by royal mail signed for 1st class

and neither appears to have got there according to the tracking.

Or do they just ignore signed for letters at drydens/capquest?

Funny how I sent a letter at the same time to tsb in Southampton and that was there the next day.

rarely do you get any comeback on signed for stuff

which is why we always recommend simply using free proof of posting.

and they

• 2 months later...

Well after 2 months this came today supposedly a reconstituted copy. Looks like nothing to me. Doesn`t state anything really specific or even mention the egg card account number ,just pages of terms and conditions.

Says it includes details/breakdown of how the blance has been occured, no such mention.

What do i do now??

Thanks

Combine Result.pdf

So are you saying that if I started making payment after 6 years the Statue Barred 6 year period doesn't get reset and is still enforced..

get this resolved this could well be statute barred.

send Canadian house an sar today

as for the CCA return.

if you took the card out in 2002

it must be a signed CCA

no dice fleecers!

dx

and they

even if it was an online sign up

they would need a signed agreement for that date

the sar is to the original creditor

they don't lift sigs anyway

as they've sold the debt.

you must sign the sar

go read the link again.

CCA return being a recon is immaterial

and they

Just found a letter from Egg dated 15th Feb 2001 saying my credit card account has been terminated. I believe the card was taken out in around 1999.

Also letter through CAB agreeing to £1 payments which we only keep up for around 6 months as far as i remember.

Also just found this from Capquest payments

i made starting in 29th oct 2008

Should send them a statute barred letter??

(as it says the account was defaulted previous to the 15th Feb 2001 letter in the above post)

Combine Result 1.pdf

Combine Result 2.pdf