Council Tax : Retrospective Single Person Discount

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm currently repaying (on a payment plan) an old council tax bill on a property which I vacated in 2013. For the period the bill covers, I was living alone, but never claimed a single person discount at the time.

Have made initial contact with Council, who say they can only retrospectively apply a single person discount from 1st April 2014.

I understand that each council will set its own policy on how far they will backdate single person discount, and that there is no legislation as such which governs this?

So my question, has anyone successfully badgered their council into applying Single Person Discount on older bills? (Mine goes back to 2011/2012). If so, any tips on how I may best approach them?

Thanks.

Have you thought about contacting your local Councillor(s) and asking they take your case up. Was there a particular reason you never claimed initially?

That's a good idea. The time period involved was just after a break-up, loss of job, debt/health issues, so this was one of many things which never got dealt with at the time!