Local connections

cumbria556
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3114 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Trying to apply for for social housing, keep getting turned down (8 times now) because of not having a "local" connection, although I have lived within 5 miles of the town for 25 years, is this legal ?. This to me seems like some strange form of racism.

Ideas welcome.

thanks

Can you prove your connection to the area for the last 25 years? For example old utility bills with you name and address in the area, bank/credit card statements, employment or benefits records etc.

Usually they are asking for relatives in the area to show you have family connections and roots. I had the same problem with my local council when I returned to the UK after being repatriated from Iraq just before the first Gulf War. As I had taught in the area, went to school in the area as a kid I could prove a connection - it also helped my local newspaper gave me plenty of publicity as well as my local MP at the time jumping on the publicity bandwagon. So I managed to eventually get social housing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I would write to the social housing provider and thank them for their response but due to being informed in that response 'of not having a "local" connection' as a reason for my application being refused I would like further clarification of this and also to be provided with the following:

1. Complaints Procedure.

2. Allocations/Letting Policy.

3. Customer Care Standards

Make sure to keep copies of all letters, get free proof of posting from post office, keep a good paper trail.

What you need to see is their Allocations/Lettings policy to see if it specifically states local connection.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

You will get no social housing anywhere in the country unless you satisfy the housing application points system on need

Unless you are disabled or have children etc your chances are zero

The simple fact is that there is to little social housing left as the majority of housing stock has been sold off under right to buy and not replaced