Decent Home Scheme - House left falling apart

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

This isn't my usual post, so please excuse me if I miss out any information.

Sometime around 3/4 years ago, my Grandmother had work done which was funded by a council grant to renew her Electrics, Central Heating, Windows, Bathroom, Kitchen, roof and facia boards.

Soon after, the work was found to be unsatisfactory. The man at the council who issued the grant to the builders in question stopped responding to our calls and it was just accepted that we'd have to deal with these issues. Time has passed, and we've just not stopped finding faults. About 18 months ago, I wrote to the man from the council, who brushed off my complaint as "Not his problem". Previous to this, his comments were "If you think it's bad now, you obviously didn't see the state of it before", although, I kinda think this is why the council issued the grant to her?

So, recently, the hot water tank has ruptured, causing the ceiling in the landing to come down, making the stairs wet and upsetting her Stannah Stair Lift. What do I do? The home insurance won't cover the hot water tank, although they have said that they will stem the leak and deal with the damage resultant from the rupture.

How do I go forward with this? The local councillor isn't concerned, the local MP has ignored us and the man at the council is just using our slow actions to his advantage. I am tempted to go into the council offices and create havoc, but I don't want to get into trouble myself.

This is having a massively negative effect on my grandmothers quality of life, added to the lightswitches that were left in place but not connected, the double glazed windows that don't open, the leak in the ceiling resulting from the bad roofing job and the new radiators which were charged to the council, but in fact, are the old radiators... What can I do?

Any advice accepted gratefully.

Hi Yukiko

1. Is the Grandmother a Tenant or Owner?

2. What type of Grant did they apply for and were given?

3. Were there any conditions with the Grant?

4. Who employed the services of the Builder to carry out the works?

5. Have you made a Formal Complaint in writing to the Chief Executives Office of the Council?

Please be patient as others will no doubt be along to offer there wisdom.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi Stu,

She is the home owner, the house was bought in 1967 by my Grandmother and late Grandfather.

The Grant was a non-repayable loan from the council, issued by the District Council. It is given to people who own their own home, but do not have the money to upkeep it (In receipt of certain benefits). I do not know the exact name of it.

There were no conditions apart from that the work was for essential repairs to the home to bring it up to modern standards.

The man from the District Council employed the building company in question. Concerns have been raised to the man at the council many times and been ignored.

I haven't complained to the CEO of the council.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Did they sign anything agreeing to the works and if so are there any clauses in it or disclaimer?

Make a complaint direct to the Chief Executives Office rather than dealing with the one office but keep everything in writing, keep copies and ensure to get free proof of posting from the post office (keep a paper trail)

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

The Grant was a non-repayable loan from the council, issued by the District Council.

I am slightly confused, was it a grant or a loan?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Completely agree we need to know if it was a grant or a loan and what it was called and any clauses it may contain about who contracts the builders.

I believe this is a Repayable Home Grant where the local council offer an interest free grant to homeowners which is paid back when the house is sold or when there is a transfer of ownership (i.e on the death of the homeowner)

Just happened to find this one on a council website

https://e-forms.leicester.gov.uk/default.aspx/RenderForm/?F.Name=CCKA6PKtu6a&HideToolbar=1

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

That is dreadfully disappointing and upsetting. I hope it gets sorted out swiftly. I have an elderly friend who can not return home due to these exact same housing issues and have been trying to discover what grants are available. I am pleased to hear that it will be possible for this sort of modernisation to be done for her. Although the work sounds appalling. Can I ask does anyone know what the upper limit of funding is?