Credit Card late payment charges

elconde
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone!

I'd like to start by apologising in the first place, because I read in numerous posts that I would find an answer to my question in the FAQs and other threads, but believe me, I've been to this site everyday after work this whole week and I still couldn't find a definite answer...

I have had several late payment charges in different cards (Barclaycard being the worst case) for the past 6 years. The total ammounts to approx. £600. Although I know that bank charges in bank accounts for exceding overdraft limit, charging interest on charges, etc is illegal, I haven't found anywhere a post that said in black & white "late payment charges for Credit Cards are illegal". Well, are they? Can Iask for that money back? I know I can easily alter the letters in the Library, but I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time (or money with the DPA).

If it's really possible, then I'm going to ask for a refund (plus the 16.9% interest).

If anyone could help me I'd be very grateful. Even if it's only a link to another post that answers my question...

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forums.

"Penalty clauses in contracts in English (and Scottish) law for breach of contract are not legal if the penalty exceeds the actual cost of the breach of either party."

This is the bit that covers late payment charges.

It's basically the same as a failed direct debit - they can only charge you the amount if costs to deal with the 'problem'.

Follow the same proceedure as shown for bank charges, changing text to suit your specific needs regarding credit cards / late payment fees etc.

Good luck, and don't forget to keep us posted on events...

• Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks