Gymworks - Problem cancelling Harlands and CRS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm in a similar situation.

Contacted my gym to cancel and they said the final payment would be taken on X date

but I'd already cancelled the DD and moved house and

now I've had a letter saying I owe them £172.

Interestingly, it says 'despite previous letters' but I have not had any however, this could be because I have changed address and the letter was redirected to my new abode.

Should I just do the same and write to them and offer them the final DD payment?

Or if I've changed address, should I just ignore it altogether?

Hi Internets - you now have your own gym thread.

You need to give Harlands your new address so you know what they're up to.

1. Who is making demands now.

2. What gym is this.

3. When did you give the gym notice to cancel.

4. Did you cancel by letter or email; in person or by phone.

5. What was the final DD pay't date you were told.

Ignore Harlands completely for now.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

1. Who is making demands now. - CRS Credit References Service

2. What gym is this. - Gymworks

3. When did you give the gym notice to cancel. - 22nd Jan

4. Did you cancel by letter or email; in person or by phone. - Email. Their email back to me said they would serve a one months notice but I'd already cancelled the DD. I never heard from them again until today when a letter dated 22nd April was redirected from old address.

5. What was the final DD pay't date you were told. - 1st Feb

I'll hold my hands up and say it was my mistake for cancelling too early and will happily pay the outstanding £18 for that month.

Also, at the start of your reply you said to give Harlands my new address but then at the end you said to ignore them... should I contact them with my new address or not and what should I say?

NOTE: I was on a non contract monthly membership.

EDIT: Did some searching on here and found one of your template letters which fits my situation exactly. Should I just go with the below, tailored for my exact situation?

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my membership at xxx

I cancelled my direct debit because I was moving away. I emailed the gym and cancelled my DD

I now realise I should have made one final payment for the Feburary payment and offer to pay this to you now. I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees that you are asking for as these are penalties that are unlawful and unenforceable.

If you confirm in writing that you'll accept the amount of £xx.xx in settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any other payment, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours faithfully,

Edited by Internets

Hi again,

I meant, ignore Harlands until we have enough info from you to decide how best to proceed.

The letter you suggest above will be fine to send to Harlands. But start it saying :-

Please note my new address as shown above.

Send it to Harlands and get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO as proof of posting. Use the same address as shown on the CRS letter because Harlands and CRS are the same outfit.

Let us know how they reply.

HOWEVER, as an alternative if you are still close to the gym, or you could call them by phone, you could offer to pay them the £18 direct and leave Harlands out of the loop for now.

If you do this instead, let us know and we can suggest an alternative brief letter to Harlands.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

That's the best way to deal with this, offer the final months fee and ignore them, if you have their bank details (the gyms) then pay using that.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Good news ................... for now !

Let us know if Harlands contact you at all.

Result. Paid the gym direct and they said they'll go and tell Harlands to do one (although not in those words)

Excellent! :thumb:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ah ha! The RM forwarding service....... they will know your new address as DCA's have access to RM's forwarding database.

We normally advise that you let Harlands know your new address - better that you know exactly what they're up to.

They gym saying "Ignore anything from Harlands" is worthless unless you have the conversation recorded. In our experience, gyms are all to ready to leave members at the mercy of Harlands, saying "It's out of our hands.".

I suggest you write to the gym asking them to to confirm in writing that you owe nothing more in respect of the membership.

In any event, let us know if Harlands contact you further.

• 2 months later...

So out of the blue I get an email from the 'Zinc Group' addressed to my OLD address which is actually the address BEFORE the one I used to sign up at the gym...

"Welcome to the Zinc Group, we have been instructed by our client to assist you with the resolution of your account. We would therefore like to invite you to review the options we have made available to you as a priority customer, these have been designed to make the process as simple as possible while ensuring that you have full control of your circumstances.

At Zinc we understand that not all of our customers are the same, but we are committed to treating all of our customers fairly."

With a current balance of £170.49 which is different to the £172 requested when this all started : /

Probably just going to ignore it. I don't see why I should have to run around sending letters etc when as far as I'm concerned it's done and dusted.

Yup, sounds like one to ignore for now.

So out of the blue I get an email from the 'Zinc Group' addressed to my OLD address which is actually the address BEFORE the one I used to sign up at the gym....

Most certainly ignore it, treat as though you never received it.

I find it absolutely staggering that these powerless tin pot DCA's even exist least of all continue trading

with their blatant corrupt working practices, I mean who in their right mind dreams up the idea of

'' I know lets find the oldest address we can and send all our pointless missives there, then we can treat them as a gone away,

no-one will ever know just how inept we really are.''

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this from them. I'm thinking I should probably reply? Dear Sir / Madam, In order to close your account our client (CRS on behalf of Harlands) has agreed to accept a one off payment of £127.87 (the current balance on your account is £170.49.) Please contact us now on 0141 237 1315 to arrange payment quoting ref 6968973 or visit http://www.WeWantToSayYes.co.uk to pay by your preferred method. If you cannot afford to close your account please contact us now and we will help you set up an affordable repayment plan. Many thanks, Maria

Dear bill & ben,

Thank you for your letter inviting me to pay you money.

Please accept my final offer of £0 in full and final settlement of this non existent account.

I trust you will find this acceptable, and that you will not contact me again.

For the avoidance of doubt, on your part, I do not owe anything, refer to your client

and if there is anything you do not understand, then you should seek immediate legal advice.

TTFN.

Hi Internets,

My reply would be :-

I refer to your letter/email of xxdate.

I paid the gym direct to settle the outstanding month's fee and they accepted this in settlement of any debt to them.

If Harlands/CRS contact me again I will raise formal complaints with Trading Standards and The CMA.

That will do for now.

• 2 years later...

Guess who's back, back again, Harland's back, tell your friends...

Received this email (in my junk folder appropriately) dated today 14/02/2018

"Hello ******

Your file has recently been returned to us by our external agents.

According to our records, you still have an outstanding balance of £206.49, in connection with Harlands.

Please call us today on 01444 449165 between 08:30am and 6:00pm to discuss repayment of your balance.

A payment plan can be set up if you're unable to pay the balance in one go.

Your reference number is '''''

If you would prefer us to call you, please confirm a suitable telephone number to reach you on.

Many thanks,

Rob Avery

CRS Collections Manager"

Edited by Andyorch
First name removed

by what means?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Ints,

They are such a joke. Do they really expect to be taken seriously after so long.

Ignore or let us know if you want to tackle them head on with court action against them.

Hi Ints,

A Small Claim in the County Court would cost you less than £50 and you should get that back, plus the court's nominal award, plus Harlands would have to stop all collection activity.

Worth a thought isn't it ..............