• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Forced into Fostering.

bojest
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can anyone offer any help or advice?

In mid February this year there was an assault carried out by my daughter's 15 yr old neighbour on his 16 yr old sister. The 15 yr old was arrested.

Police called an out-of-hours social worker to deal with the 16 yr old girl as the girls' parents were/are uninterested.The social worker asked my daughter, who is no relation whatsoever to any of those involved and has an 8 yr old son, if the 16 yr old could stay with her that night and would she bring her into Lambeth Social Services the next morning?

My daughter, as a concerned neighbour, agreed.

The following morning my daughter took the 16 yr old girl in to see social services and was asked by them if she would offer shelter for the girl for "a few days more".

Eight weeks on, dozens of 'phone calls and several visits to Lambeth Soc Svcs and the situation hasn't changed although my daughter has fallen behind with her rent and other bills and I, on DLA myself, am having to subsidise things and to top everything, my daughter has been threatened with "action" for owing rent to Lambeth Council AND of being in breach of her tenancy agreement by having the 16 yr old girl live there!

Lambeth Social Services say the do not have to offer any financial help to my daughter who is after all, a very unwilling, unpaid "foster care provider" who has now been prescribed anti-depressants by her GP because of all this and she can't just dump the girl on the streets.

Edited by citizenB

This story is of very grave concern, firstly has your daughter had the relevant police checks to be a temporary foster carer? Also I would be calling the most senior manager of that Social Services Dept. Failing that please contact your MP.

The fact they Soc. Serv. have left this so long without a follow up is just so wrong. You can also call the child protect league and ask them for help or try here http://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/child-protection-system/england/

or contact www.childrenslegalcenter.com You can speak anonymously to either of the above and they will offer all the help and support you both need.

• Confused 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

I can't believe that Lambeth are doing this. It's shocking!!

Agree with Mickeymack's suggestions, and also try your local councillor.

Is the girl in school or education? Maybe the school or college could help.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The girl is not in education. Last Monday my daughter and the girl forced a meeting with a social worker at their offices. I had equipped my daughter with a recording device. The soc srvce "team leader" is recorded asking for "just another few days" and offering my daughter £20 for food. Yet another "team leader" is recorded by me, laughing at my demand for action.

Lambeth appear to be out of control. Local politicians are all too busy with electioneering but a law firm, "Just for kids" are now talking to the girl.

I will act on the advice given here and keep you posted.

Thanks again.

There's also childline.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Why don't you take the 16yo back to the council and tell them that you kicked her out and she's homeless.

At that point they must offer her emergency accommodation.

If they ask for a few more days just say one word: NO!

When I say you, I mean your sister.

Here are some contact details and info for you.

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/social-support-and-health/abuse-and-violence/contact-social-services-if-you-are-worried-about-a

This is what they say quoted

"We provide family support and child protection services. All children and young people have the right to live in safety, without emotional cruelty, neglect, violence, or sexual abuse. If you are worried about a child please tell us about your concerns so that we can help."

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Here are some contact details and info for you.

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/social-support-and-health/abuse-and-violence/contact-social-services-if-you-are-worried-about-a

This is what they say quoted

"We provide family support and child protection services. All children and young people have the right to live in safety, without emotional cruelty, neglect, violence, or sexual abuse. If you are worried about a child please tell us about your concerns so that we can help."

The op's sister is not worried about the child, in fact, the child is in safe hands.

She's worried about her sanity and the fines imposed by LA because of their own cook up (deliberate misspelling before you point it out)

Why don't you take the 16yo back to the council and tell them that you kicked her out and she's homeless.

At that point they must offer her emergency accommodation.

If they ask for a few more days just say one word: NO!

When I say you, I mean your sister.

I have to confess that I considered posting this too. I refrained out of concern for the girl's feelings, but then that is the council's problem, who are evading their responsibility, not to mention fostering or accommodation costs.

An update;

First, many thanks to all who responded with good advice and information.

Today, after intervention from the law firm "Just for Kids", the Family Rights Group and a round-robin email to every elected Lambeth councillor I could find, the child was found a Salvation Army bedsit cum B & B.

I must add also that the threat by myself to put on the internet recordings of Lambeth social workers passing the buck, denying knowledge of the problem and one actually laughing at me when I demanded action may have helped. (I offered them the opportunity to prosecute me for doing so also but had no reply.)

This is not over though. I intend to invoice Lambeth on my daughter's behalf for providing food, warmth, shelter and of course a safe haven for the girl for nine weeks and I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a suitable invoice template.

Once again, thank you all for such immediate and useful help.

Look at the current rate of fostering for Lambeth council and charge them accordingly.

It's only right that your sister is compensated for a situation THEY created.

Plenty of invoice templates online, in this case just pick the simplest one.

Hi

Its great news that you managed to get something sorted but you should not have had to do it this way in the first place.

Check the Councils website for their Complaints Procedure and make a Formal Complaint in writing (keep copies and get free proof of posting from post office you want to keep a good paper trail) send copies to your local Councillor, MP and importantly

The Housing Department of the council also requesting a meeting with a Senior Housing Officer to discuss the arrears/breach of tenancy. (take all evidence you have) A face to face meeting gives you the opportunity to explain why this happened and to try and come to an arrangement with them (remember to request anything that is discussed/agreed at that meeting is put in writing and a copy sent to you).

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Very good news for your daughter, it may appear that someone may have taken advantage of generosity that was offered in the first place, not only did they not pay for the care provided they even tried to charge for the privilege too, that is just awful.

If you wish to keep us updated then that would be nice good luck...