• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nolans Solicitors chasing old RBS 'debt' ** SCOTLAND **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

First time posting on here, but seems to be lots of great advice!

I've today recieved a letter from Nolans Solicitors saying they are collecting on behalf of Hillesden Securities Limited.

I don't know whether it is a standard threatogram letter or if I need to take action. The letter seems to be standard I'm that it starts "Dear Sirs" and I'm female! And it goes on to say that I have 7 days to pay or they may take me to court and this will be able to be enforced for 20 years and then gives a list of how I can pay them.

It also had a booklet from AIB included which states that it's given to me as I'm going to have legal action taken against me.

The thing is I don't actually know what the original debt relates to, as I checked my Noddle credit file and there is nothing on there that has the name Hillesden or for the same amount. Also there are no judgements showing against me at all.

After googling I think it may be an old Welcome finance loan which I last paid in 2009 after my local branch shut down. So I believe that it should be statue barred as I'm in Scotland, so 5 years up here.

I've got an email address to contact, so does anyone have a template that I can send to say I don't know what the debt relates to and see if they can get me details of what the actual debt is?

I'm just worried they go for court action as my husband is currently not working and I couldn't afford to get a wage arrestment, never mind the reaction from my employer!

If it's the debt I think it is, how do I prove its statue barred? As I was paying in the branch and previously was DD through an account which is now closed and I have no access to statements.

Just really worried as I was just starting to get back on my feet!

Any advice is gratefully relieved!

Thanks

hold off from replying to them atm, wait for further input.

'may' take action, not 'will'. can you scan up what they've sent, less any identifiables.

re last payment, was that before or after the end of the term of the loan. have you received any notices calling in the loan/outstanding amount. if so, when.

Hi,

So the letter itself was addressed to "Dear Sirs"..

How was the envelope addressed ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If the envelope was addressed to you personally, then you could send the following.

You could just write something along the lines of..

Dear Sir or Madam/named person.

Any references they have provided

I am in receipt of your letter dated DATE.

I have no idea what this letter relates to - please provide more detailed information and also a copy of any agreement that would support your claim that there is an outstanding debt for which you believe I am liable.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours etc..

Do NOT sign your name PRINT it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll get the letter scanned in as soon as I can.

It was in an envelope with a window and had my correct name and address on it, but the start of the letter was dear sirs.

I'm sure I was paying by DD until I lost my job and I went into the office and made a repayment plan which I stuck to until I could no longer afford it and by that time welcome had gone bust (I think!) and the office closed and I stopped making payments. I had paid off about half the loan I think.

I'm sure it's been passed around various DCA's but I've shamefully just ignored them all, so I'm not 100% sure when the default date would be, but I know 100% the last payment was in 2009.

That's if this does relate to Welcome Finance, but as I say nothing on Noddle, but Hillesden did do a search in 2014, but nothing since.

Thanks again

the default date, if not before, then shld be soonish after you ceased payments on the prior agreed payment plan.

so, maybe barred.

nolans are a powerless lot pers I'd ignore them or send a cca request

had loads of those on old debts that were near or just over SB date.

be better if you could pdf those letters and i'll show you several exact copies dating back to 2011

all totally ignore

if it is to do with a welcome debt

did you ever send welcome an sar?

as I bet 90% of the debt

is reclaimable penalty fees and PPI.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

HOW TO UPLOAD DOCUMENTS / IMAGES ON CAG IMMEDIATELY YOU DO NOT NEED 10 POSTS

IMPORTANT To protect your IDENTITY and ensure you remain ANONYMOUS on CAG

YOU MUST ensure that you REMOVE all Personal Information including Barcodes, Names, Addresses etc

ENSURE: To leave all Monetary Figures and Dates.

DO NOT USE A BIRO, PEN, SEE THRU TAPE OR LABELS TO EDIT THE INFORMATION

1. SCAN YOUR DOCUMENT

- Set your default scan page size to A4 less than 300 DPI (150 will do)

- Scan the required letters/agreements/sheets - as a picture (jpg) file

- Don't forget you can use a mobile phone or a digital camera too!!

- If you have multiple scans/pictures

please put these into WORD and make a multi page document

first ensuring you have removed all Personal Information before converting to PDF.

if you dont have MSOFFICE, use openoffice its free and has a PDF converter.

- IPHONE ONLY: Take a picture and Convert to PDF via an APP

2. HOW TO EDIT (Remove Personal Information)

- Do this using MSPAINT.EXE or any Photo Editing program and ensure to save the document.

PLEASE TRY AND REFRAIN FROM POSTING FILES OF +1Mb in size

a single sheet of a4 should be about 50kb.

3. HOW TO CONVERT YOUR DOCUMENT TO PDF

- If you have OFFICE installed this has an installable PRINT to PDF option so use this and save as PDF.

- If you have PDF as an installed driver use this program and save as PDF.

OR Go to one of the many free online pdf converter websites:

- http://freejpgtopdf.com/

- http://www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net/

- http://www.freepdfconvert.com/

- http://www.pdfmerge.com/

- http://www.primopdf.com/

PLEASE REMEMBER: It would be better to upload a Multi-page PDF rather than multiple Single PDFs.

4. BEFORE UPLOADING YOUR DOCUMENT ON CAG

- Logically Name your PDF File so Users know what it is. DO NOT NAME YOUR FILE USING BANK NAMES OR CAG IN THE TITLE

- For Example: Default Notice DDicon-MM-YYYY.

IMPORTANT To protect your IDENTITY and ensure you remain ANONYMOUS on CAG please ensure that you do a final check that all Personal Information including Barcodes, Names, Addresses etc. are REMOVED before carrying out the NEXT STEP

5. HOW TO UPLOAD YOUR DOCUMENT ON CAG

- In your Thread/Post open a new msg box here.

- Click 'Go Advanced' below the msg box.

- Click 'Manage Attachments' below that box.

- Click the 'Add Files' button on the top right.

- Click 'Select Files', navigate to your file(s) on your PC.

- Click 'Upload Files'.

- You DON’T have to put a link to the attachment in the msg box just upload it ……… JOB DONE

- You can click on your links to check them too!!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'll need to scan them in an my Mums tomorrow, I just took those as photos on my phone.

Thanks for all the advice, I just got really scared as the AIB booklet was in it and it made it seem really serious. I normally just ignore all the threats as they say may and I know they are all nearly or are SB.

I've not taken any action on this as I will admit I was young and stupid and buried my head in the sand somewhat, so I've never sent anything to Welcome.

AIB booklet?

nolans are pussycats.

and they

It's a booklet from the Accountancy in Bankruptcy, I'll scan it in too. I've downloaded an app and converted to PDFs, but no idea how to get them back on here! Lol! And I thought I was good with technology!

are you in bankruptcy?

Nope, not even close. It's a standard debt advice booklet that you must be issued with before they can take you to court I believe.

I don't know if the AIB is a scottish thing then as you've not heard of it.

I'm only working on my iPad here, so really struggling to get the PDFs on so you can see what I have received.

My stress level has slightly receded since this morning, but still really worried they'll just go straight for a judgement in the sheriff court.

yeah, maybe a scots thing :) they have to do things differently, for better or for worse? :) yes, not too familiar with scot procedure, but a letter before claim shld be the same, if thats what it was. lets see, take it from there.

dont worry, help will be forthcoming.

ps prob no need to scan up the booklet then

if its PDF use the go advanced button bottom right

then manage attachments

dx

and they

yep std rubbish may/if/but.

and they

no that's the same Scottish EQ of the FCA leaflet they must send with English debts

totally ignore

and they

Thank you so much for your help with this. I'll ignore it now and see what else comes through.

Last time I saw one of those booklets was when we got notice served for council tax arrears and they did go for a judgement so that's why I panicked so much.

well for CTAX they would

and it would have been the sheriff officers that did it not nolans.

and they

Yeah it was sheriff officers, got it stopped though as I had been paying and they were issued prematurely.

Good to know this is just a typical threat letter. Can't thank you enough for your help.

• 3 months later...