Question re state pensions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does the UK government have a reserve to meet some of its state benefit liabilities ?

I cannot see any mention online and it raised the question as to whether government only meets pension liabilities out of current revenues.

UK regulators do no allow pension companies to operate in this way and I would question why government does not appear to put money away, other than a general reserve which is quite small.

Of course government can raise taxes and cut spending, but in the years ahead we will have a growing number of people of retirement age and working people increasingly facing reduced real term incomes, because of population growth, increased competition from abroad and technology replacing the need to employ the same number of people.

If government struggles to gain the revenues, faces increasing cost of healthcare, education, defence etc and meet with election barriers preventing them from increasing tax rates/scope, then they will get themselves into a hole if another crash hit like in 2007/08.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

People feel we are seeing the start of the end of a state pension. We've seen the state pension age rise, who's to say the date you are given now to get your pension is not going to change again. First it may be 67 then before you get there it changes to 70. It looks unsustainable in it's present form.

People feel we are seeing the start of the end of a state pension. We've seen the state pension age rise, who's to say the date you are given now to get your pension is not going to change again. First it may be 67 then before you get there it changes to 70. It looks unsustainable in it's present form.

What annoys me is that the politicians are quite willing to protect current pensioner benefits, because they know these people tend to vote. The politicians must know that future generations probably won't receive much of a state pension and they probably won't get the winter fuel allowance, free bus travel etc.

In 20 years time, I suspect that the state retirement age will be 70+ and the pension will be lower than it is currently in real terms. The government just does not get the tax revenues in to fully fund all the current expenditure required to run the country. They won't increase standard rates of tax because that is difficult at elections, so they have to hide lots of sneeky taxes. At some point politics has to be changed, as it not doing most people any good. Government should be taxing enough, so they can fund services properly, they don't run a budget deficit and can afford to put money to one side.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I have moved this thread out of the Bear Garden and into the Pension forum.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Back on 1908 the NI contributions paid for your pension. That link was lost some time ago and now NI is just another tax and pensions are seen as a taxable benefit rather than deferred pay.

Ther is no fund for the old age pension, nor civil servants, police, teachers etc either. they may well pay a superannuation but the money doesnt go into a pot like most other occupational pensions but straight to the treasury.

The obligation to provide a pension clobbers any chance of any government balancing the books hence the keenness on getting people to look after themselves. Trouble is, many people dont know enough to plan and even those that can plan dont always have the financial security to do so. If you then start to factor in any care costs required in the future then most people would be thinking of spending their pension pot before they get ill and gamble on not being thrown out of hospital onto the streets when they cant pay for a carer.