• Tweets

• Documents arrived today dated 27th March.  This is a cc taken out a long time ago (2008) and they don't seem to have been able to provide a copy of a CCA agreement, just reams of print outs of lines of texts from old bank statements, default notices etc.   
    • Documents finally arrived today from PRA group.  New day have sent me lots of paperwork, copies of default letters and statements, print out of what looks like a CCA that would have been completed on online, IP address as signature.  This debt is not too old, so possible this is the true copy of agreement ?  Not sure what my defence would be beyond irresponsible lending. 
    • pers i wouldn't.. all you need to know is in the posts of that thread....that being section 127(3) of the CCA refers. if under a CCA return, the 'creditor' claims its a recon, it must not contain any details like a sig, tickbox, or typed name (whether you signed physically or by online tickbox) 1. those are not necessary in a recon, so why inc them? (faked??) 2, it cant thus be a recon!!, it must be a copy of the 'original' from the original creditor, not from a debt buyers filing cabinet. they shouldn't not be 'mixing' some original docs from the OC with crap from their filing cabinet, claiming its ALL a recon! because some of it is faked. just remember there are far more docs like NOA and a DN that are as equally important to a court claim of 'this debt is enforceable'. never rely solely upon the dodgy agreement argument.
    • India has thousands of small gold refineries which are facing more competition from big players.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Kwik-fit Unruly behaviour **Successful Resolution**

csathiamoorthy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have given my car for a full service on 5-Mar-2015 at around 9 in the morning. There wasn't any specif problems I had,just given it for the annual maintenance service.

They called me back in the evening at 16.52 to let me know that they have some major issue with my car, and they want me to drop by the centre to know more about it.

When I went there, they said "while trying to remove the old spark plugs, one of it got broke and stuck inside the engine. We tried for more than 2 hours to take it out but couldn't. We tried our best, but sorry we couldn't take it out."

I asked them, "I gave the car in morning in a proper working condition, now you have broken it and say sorry". They said, "No we didn't purposefully break it, while trying to remove it broke."

I also asked them, "If you have tried for more than 2 hours, why you didn't bother to call me immediately, when you see a problem". For which they said, we dont want to panic you. Which doesn't sounds right me.

And finally when I asked them how to fix it, they said it is difficult to fix.

And they gave me two choices:

1) Scrap the car

2) Spend £1500 to fix it.

When I asked them, "You broke my car which was in a proper working condition and expecting me to bare the cost of your mistake", they claim that "It's not our fault".

It all sounds very rude for a customer like me, who just gave the car for annual service and in the evening expecting me to pay £1500 for the mistake they have done. I wouldn't expect such an irresponsible response from a reputed company like yours.

The centre manager/staff very word as "you have to scrap your car", had put me at emotional trauma and stress, that made me tow the car and put it in my garage.

This is very unfair service towards any loyal customer like me.

Surely they would have some sort of indemnity insurance for mistakes they make ?

Id want a fuller explanation of what exactly happened, and why they think its not their fault, now they may have a point if it was a very old rusted engine that hadn't been used for years, but this doesnt sound the case.

Do they have any T&C's covering this ?

1) get a garage you trust to examine the car and make a report on how the damage happened and also a quote to fix it.

IF it backs up your story

2) Write a LETTER BEFORE ACTION to the ceo of the company, explain what has happened, what went wrong, what you would like them to do about it (Pay the costs of fixing your car and recovering it back to yoru garage)

Give them 14 days to respond positivly

3) As long as the mechanic report backs you up, begin a small claims action to recover the costs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I think you would be on hiding to nothing. Garages are immune from the costs of repair due to threading/snapping stud/bolts/nuts and this include the threading and snapping of the spark plug itself. Your only recourse will be through the courts of you can prove the garage were negligent. I.e using the wrong tools.

Regardless of if it was a tight plug and the fact you warned them. That means you acknowledge there was a problem and still asked them to proceed.

They say it's not their mistake, by claiming that the spark plug was rusted and I did not maintain it properly. My point here is, if that was the case, they should have at least warned me which they didn't do in the first place. They only called me in the evening to let me know that there is a big problem with my car, after snapping one of the spark plug. Looks like they have tried to remove it using some drill, which got broken and stuck inside.

I did not had any problem with my car when I took my car to them. I just wanted to do annual maintenance service.

I will definitely request some other garage to examine and make a detailed report of the issue. Not sure about their T & C, will check that as well.

Thanks for all your responses.

Edited by csathiamoorthy

Some engines are notorious for seized spark plugs. The garage should be aware of these and should have advised you that the plugs may snap. It would be up to you then to give them permission to proceed. I have refused to remove spark plugs in the past for exactly this reason. Spark plugs are getting smaller, and there is more of a propensity for them to snap. I honestly doubt if you would be successful in winning a claim unless you could prove that the mechanic was negligent. The next step is to have the engine examined by an independent engineer who would be prepared to testify in Court if necessary on his findings.

Unfortunately this is what you get for sending your car to tyre fitters for a service. When were the plugs last out?

Firstly, and taking into account what Billys mate said, there are a number of things they could have tried to remove a seized plug before applying sufficient force to break it.

Secondly, unless it's a fancy engine, how do they justify £1500 to repair. It's a job a competent MOTOR ENGINEER can do for a fraction of that price.

Billy's Mate:- If some engines are notorious for this problem then why is the trade not fitting new plugs with a smear of copper grease????

Happened to me on a salvage Peugeot I decided to put back on the road.

A mechanic used a bolt remover kit and the spark plug was out in 2 minutes.

Even if they have to drill it out and rethread the head, it won't cost £1500, more likely £150.

Amateurs!

I can't see where the op identifies the car type.

£1500 could be a realistic figure on certain cars.

I certainly wouldn't trust a garage to do a head removal and replacement for £150. A decent gasket for a normal car will set you back £60. I'm not talking about some pile of crap motor factor gasket.

You get what you pay for. You think someone charging £150 for a 3 hour job is going to be concerned about torque settings etc? No, didn't think so.

If you have t reg fiesta, then fine wouldn't be worth repair and certainly wouldn't cost £1500.

But the op could be talking about a v10 Audi for all we know.

Op relinquished the right to sue as soon as he told the garage that one spark plug was stuck and still asked them to continue. You always have to apply pressure to remove a spark plug, and sometimes the plug is so damaged by overheating, lack of timely replacement or just a faulty, that it snaps. No different to a stud nut snapping when being removed by the garage. Nature of the beast.

I may be missing something here, but where has the OP said that he told Kwik Fart that one of the plugs was stuck beforehand?

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

You are absolutely correct, I did not tell them I had a problem with any spark plug (in fact, I did not have any problem with my car when I left it for service). I would at least expect them to ring me immediately , if they found something not right and not at the end of the day after breaking it.

I can't see where the op identifies the car type.

£1500 could be a realistic figure on certain cars.

I certainly wouldn't trust a garage to do a head removal and replacement for £150. A decent gasket for a normal car will set you back £60. I'm not talking about some pile of crap motor factor gasket.

You get what you pay for. You think someone charging £150 for a 3 hour job is going to be concerned about torque settings etc? No, didn't think so.

If you have t reg fiesta, then fine wouldn't be worth repair and certainly wouldn't cost £1500.

But the op could be talking about a v10 Audi for all we know.

Op relinquished the right to sue as soon as he told the garage that one spark plug was stuck and still asked them to continue. You always have to apply pressure to remove a spark plug, and sometimes the plug is so damaged by overheating, lack of timely replacement or just a faulty, that it snaps. No different to a stud nut snapping when being removed by the garage. Nature of the beast.

Most times a broken spark plug can be removed without taking the head off.

Then if it's a head off job we're talking a different kettle of fish.

Doesn't matter what car it is, if the plug can be extracted without removing and damaging the head it shouldn't cost £1500.

As I said, when it happened to me it took the mechanic a few minutes and a bolt removal kit to take it out without damaging anything.

Most times a broken spark plug can be removed without taking the head off.

Then if it's a head off job we're talking a different kettle of fish.

Doesn't matter what car it is, if the plug can be extracted without removing and damaging the head it shouldn't cost £1500.

As I said, when it happened to me it took the mechanic a few minutes and a bolt removal kit to take it out without damaging anything.

Completely agree. Where the plug can be removed with the right tool, cheap as chips. But if the ceramic has broken then the cylinder will need to be stripped and cleaned as you really dont want ceramic bits floating around the piston.

Take a highly strung engine on a road going sports car, if you strip that, your easily looking at 500 for new parts and gaskets. All the head bolts will have to be replaced, two or three gaskets replaced. It really does depend in the type of car.

Billy's Mate:- If some engines are notorious for this problem then why is the trade not fitting new plugs with a smear of copper grease????

I always put a smear of copper grease on the threads of the spark plugs when fitting them. I can't speak for any other mechanics, perhaps it's their laziness or lack of training, who knows ?

Edited by slick132
formated quote

• 2 weeks later...
I always put a smear of copper grease on the threads of the spark plugs when fitting them. I can't speak for any other mechanics' date=' perhaps it's their laziness or lack of training, who knows ?[/quote']

Out of interest, where do you get the torque settings from when you do them up with copper grease on. Obviously not the manufacturer setting as it wont be the same when tightened wet. Or do you just tighten it and quarter turn it so its "tight enough".

Glad your not working on my car is all I can Say.

Everything is sorted now.

Got my car from the garage just few minutes back.

The kwik-fit customer care representative with whom I dealt is a very supportive and genuine guy.

During the initial conversation, he keeps asking me why do you thing kwik-fit should pay the bill.

After explaining him all the details, he finally got his director's approval and agreed to pay the invoice. of course, it took a while to get his reply.

The new garage called me yesterday to say everything fixed and the car is ready to go. Unfortunately when I tried contacting the kwik-fit cusomer care representative he didn't pick the call neither he didn't call back or replied to my mail. (In reality he seems to be in some meeting, so couldn't pick the calls).

But today, he arranged to pay the garage in no time.

Finally, everything is sorted after nealy 20 days.

I should really appreciate both the kwik-fit customer care representative (for his genuinity) and the garage owner who fixed the car (for all the patience -untill I get a nod from the kwik-fit, support and help) when in need.

Above all, I take this oppourtunity to thank all the forum members for their view and advices. Without which I wasn't sure of which way to take it forward.

Thanks everyone!

Regards,

Sathia

Good to see this has resolved in a positive way.

Have changed your title to reflect that :)

Thanks for the update

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• 1 month later...

The mrs has a KA and they are notorious for seized plugs if they've not been touched for years and read many posts about then snapping. I replace them every year with a smear of grease round the threads and just nip them up. Never had a problem myself but even if they're bloody tight, use the right tools and copious amounts of plus gas (use a long T-bar with equal pressure applied). If it gets to the point you think it's going to snap, move on to the next plugs and leave the seized ones and try again another day after leaving them soaked in penetrating oil. Do that until they either come out or you sell the car.