• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Yorkshire Bank refuse to consider paying back bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

Yorkshire bank have charged me for not having enough money in my account to cover a Direct Debit.

They dont take the money straight out of my account putting me overdrawn,

they send me a letter saying when they are going to,

and Ive always had the money in the account when they take their monthly charges

Would these charges be refundable the same as if I had been charged and gone overdrawn.

Thanks

Phillip

BCOBS?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 9 months later...

Yorkshire Bank refusing to consider paying back bank charges despite knowing I am on JSA.

Last month, Dec 2014, I should have received JSA on 13th and 27th. With my DD's one goes out on 28th and the other two at the beginning of the month.

What I did was I assumed that I would be paid on time on the 27th, normally I am. So when I get paid on 27th I leave the £60 to cover my DD's. The problem is that the DWP didnt pay us untill 6pm on the 30th, which was a one hour payment thing.

So to cut a long story short, my DD didnt get paid so Yorkshire Bank charges me, this puts me overdrawn, then then turn round and start charging me for going overdrawn, which they take the next month.

I read a post about a Lloyds customer getting unfair charges back and a link to legislation that people on JSA are protected from unfair bank charges (someone correct me here if Im wrong). So I wrote a letter to Yorkshire Bank. I had a letter from them today saying they are refusing to consider paying back any bank charges and that the legislation I quoted means, and I quote their answer here

"Your email quotes section 187 of the social security administration act 1992, which you feel should protect those in receipt of benefits from being charged. However, the purpose of this act is to stop benefit money being at risk by it being given or transferred to a third party in payment of a debt. It is not meant to stop bank charges if the money paid into your account comes from benefits or tax credits"

Im on a tight budget, so if I lose benefit money through bank charges, because the DWP screwed up, and the next month I get unauthorised overdraft fees then this has the effect that my JSA is less which means I end up in a vicious circle. So could I ask for some advice here of how to proceed ?

Thanks

Phillip

Is this a basic account?

Ive just found this

"Once a benefit payment is credited to an account it merges with the existing account balance,

whether this is overdrawn or in credit.

If the account is overdrawn the bank are fully within their rights to offset the benefit payment against the overdraft and take any charges.".

My arguement is that I have no other income going into my bank account.

The only money going into the account is my JSA,

so does that blow the theory of "merging with existing account balance, and dont know whats jsa or not"

I suggest that you read up all about BCOBS.

We have a lot of people on this forum who have basic bank accounts and run into this kind of trouble.

The core feature of a basic bank account is that there is no overdraft facility. Sometimes the banks use their discretion and allow a payment to be made so that the account goes overdrawn anyway and then they levy a charge on top of that. I consider that to be a very dubious practice. Sometimes, as in your case, the banks refuse to let the payment go because you don't have the money and if it was paid it would take you overdrawn – and then for refusing the payment they levy a charge which does exactly – putting you overdrawn. They then compound the problem by levying charges upon charges which simply then enters you into a spiral of debt – and all this on an account which shouldn't have any overdraft at all.

I think that this is extremely unfair and I think that it breaks the rules on fair treatment under BCOBS.

One of the BCOBS rules is that the banks should take into account the interests of the customer when making any decisions. To me this means that the banks must put their customers interests before their own in order to produce a fair result.

In your case – as in the case of many other people - the bank has put its own interests first, firstly by levying a charge even though one could never by any stretch of imagination say that you have received any kind of service from them and secondly by then compounding charges upon charges even though they are fully aware that it is their decision which is what you overdrawn in the first place and thirdly it is a matter of the contract the basic account that there is no overdraft facility. Yet the banks are happy to provide an overdraft facility when it is in their favour.

You could complain to the ombudsman – but this could take up to 2 years and also it is unlikely you would get a decision in your favour – especially because the ombudsman's remit is in conflict with the law contained in BCOBS. The ombudsman attempts to reach a decision which is fair to both sides whereas BCOBS very clearly looks for fair treatment to the customer even if this is not completely in accordance with the interests of the bank.

The other thing you could do is to bring a small claim in the County Court under BCOBS. I rate your chances of success very high.

You would have to understand that this would not be a challenge that had been undertaken before so you would be piloting it to see what would happen. However the costs of going to small claims are very low and if you happen to lose you would not be penalised as long as you litigated reasonably. Also, because you are on benefits you would be able to apply for a County Court fee waiver in any event so it would cost you nothing.

From our point of view as a consumer rights group, we would like very much for an action of this type to go through because if it won then there would be a basis for a huge number of refunds to people who are basically impoverished and yet of had to pay the banks extortionate charges precisely because the banks acted in their own interests when managing their basic accounts.

It would also put an end to this dishonest practice

We would be very pleased to help you

old and new threads merged

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The letter of appropriation is good but it won't get your charges back

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Sorry for no posting earlier.

Yorkshire bank refused to pay back any bank charges, despite me using the fact that Im on JSA etc, and that my partner was sanctioned for three months.

I then used the right of appropriation letter to stop future charges. But I received a real snotty letter from them saying they had spoken to their legal department and that "Right of appropriation" didnt protect my JSA money, and that they were still going to charge me bank charges. So Ive done an online complaint to the financial ombudsman, but I dont hold out any hope regarding how much power they have.

You need another bank account and get payments paid into it.

I've moved to nationwide and found them ok.

At one time it was quite easy to open basic accounts with most banks but I don't know now,

but understand Barclays still accept most applications.

Not my favourite bank but sometimes needs must.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

They are completely wrong. The right of appropriation reserves any money – wherever it comes from for certain priority needs.

They are treating you unfairly – and it is a matter for BCOBS. You can by all means send to the ombudsman – but you won't get a response for anything up to 2 years and the result is not guaranteed.

If you decided to bring an action in BCOBS then you would get a very rapid result and before then you find that the bank would cave in.

Frankly, even if you decide to go to the ombudsman, you are allowing yourself to be trampled upon by a bank which has very clear legal duties to treat you differently

and they

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone.

Ive been having problems with Yorkshire Bank taking money from my JSA for bank charges etc.

Whats happened is due to being sanctioned or bank holiday late payment from DWP, my DD's didnt get paid. So Yorkshire Bank charged me for this which put me overdrawn, then then charged me for unauthorised overdraft fee.

I asked them, using the social security act, if I could get a refund, they refused. I then used the first right of appropriation, which Yorkshire Bank stated was complete rubbish and didnt apply.

So I took it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, and have been told that, basically, the bank can do what they want, and me being on JSA dont mean squat.

The FOS reply was :

"I note you say that the charges applied have been deducted from your benefit income. I should explain that a deduction of charges from benefit payments does not contravene key statues, such as the Social Security Act 1992.

In respect of this I should explain that, unfortunately, there is a misunderstanding here as to the meaning of the wording of the Social Security Act 1992 when it refers to a 'charge' on benefit payments. Essentially, any reference to 'charges' in the relevant legislation means a 'lien' on the benefits - it makes it an offence to offer (or accept) a benefits entitlement as security. It does not mean that a bank cannot levy charges on an account if benefit payments are paid into it.

As such, my opinion on your complaint remains unchanged. As explained in my letter, consumers have the right to ask the ombudsman to review their case – as the final stage in our process."

So can I ask, is the above legal, or is there something else I can do ?

Thanks

Phillip

threads merged yet again on this debacle...

and they

My advice is to go legal... LBA To Yorkshire Bank giving them one more chance.

WHY DIDNT YOU MOVE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT LIKE SAID BEFORE?!?!?

You are letting them walk all over you!

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi fkofilee.

I do have another bank account. But moving banks isnt the issue. The issue is Yorkshire acting like they can do what they want regardless, and basically dumping the brown stuff on people with no recourse. Sorry to sound like im being rude, im not.

I know youre not :) ,

But even so... If you do take it legal, then they WILL close your account.

I would move over and get rid of them once and for all. Moving is easy...

It means you have nothing to lose!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I cant see anything here where CAG advised to goto the FOS?

post 14 says it all.

BCOBS is the way forward, first indicated in post 3 was it April last year.?

and they

I cant see anything here where CAG advised to goto the FOS?

post 14 says it all.

BCOBS is the way forward, first indicated in post 3 was it April last year.?

BF said in post 14 the FOS might be an option. Anyway you build a case and sue them because they are treating you unfairly.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

• 2 years later...

well out of time now sadly

and they