J Coates - sent on wrong course!

C&D
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am not sure whether this is the correct place to post but hopefully someone can help:

My husband did his class 2 licence through j Coates as they claimed they would guide him through every step of the way when he called initially.

When he had passed his relevant tests, he was advised he needed to do his cpc and they therefore booked him onto a course in London mon - fri for four weeks time costing £285. We paid for a hotel (£168) as it was more time / cost effective than driving there and back daily.. He went on the course and three days in when he was talking to someone it came to light that he didn't need to be there and that he was on the wrong course!! He spoke to J Coates who advised that yes he should in fact have been booked onto a one day course which could've been done closer to home (& was only £10 more).

He had been temping and was offered work worth £340 for the week he was away which he had had to turn down.

I wrote to j Coates for him saying how disgusted we were and explaining that their error had cost us:

£168 for the hotel

£60 fuel to travel

£340 lost for not working

They let him off the £10 extra for the correct course (how kind!) and they offered another £285 but only in the form of a credit to use with their company for future training. When I asked for a cheque as we were out of pocket, they refused.

I don't feel we have been offered a fair deal bearing in mind it was completely their error - what do you think / is there anything I can do?

I emailed back asking to escalate and was advised the managing director had made the decision and they would ask him to email but when I chased a week later they just advised that this was the final decision!

I am fuming... Please help. :-)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]C [COLOR=black]& [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]D :) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC[/B][COLOR=#000000]- Full settlement received & spent! £1,477.93 :-) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=mediumturquoise][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC claim 2![/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - Full settlement offer received 27/06 - £1,116 :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]A&L[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] (for my Nan) - full settlement received on day of prelim hearing - approx £1500 :-)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Halifax[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - full settlement received 30/06 - £2576! :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Barclays[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - Court forms were due to be submitted but he wants to wait for results of the court case with OFT[/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000000][B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]A&L[/COLOR][/B] - (for a friend) - court forms submitted - claim 'stayed' due to OFT case[/COLOR][/FONT]

As long as you have got evidence to support your assertion that he acted on their advice, then I think that you have a very good basis for a claim

I would think about making a small claim in the County Court. It is very easy, very cheap and pretty well risk-free in terms of costs if you lose.

If you have any dealings with them on the telephone, first of all read our customer services guide and follow the advice there.

If you want to take a small claim, you will have to start off by satisfying the pre-action protocol which means that you must give them 14 days to satisfy your claim or else you will bring an action in the County Court.

Don't bluff. Don't make this threat unless you are prepared to go with it

To be honest, I don't think we would have any proof that he acted on their advice unless they record their calls and would be willing to go back through to listen to them (uhh I think not ;))

Like you say I don't want to bluff and threaten to take them to court but I feel £285 as a credit is an absolute insult when it was their fault!

Thanks for the reply x

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]C [COLOR=black]& [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]D :) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC[/B][COLOR=#000000]- Full settlement received & spent! £1,477.93 :-) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=mediumturquoise][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC claim 2![/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - Full settlement offer received 27/06 - £1,116 :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]A&L[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] (for my Nan) - full settlement received on day of prelim hearing - approx £1500 :-)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Halifax[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - full settlement received 30/06 - £2576! :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Barclays[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - Court forms were due to be submitted but he wants to wait for results of the court case with OFT[/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000000][B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]A&L[/COLOR][/B] - (for a friend) - court forms submitted - claim 'stayed' due to OFT case[/COLOR][/FONT]

did they make te booking on his behalf?

if it was obviously the wrong course then that is the basis for yoru claim. They would have to disprove yoru claim

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Yes they made the booking on his behalf.

Is there a standard letter anywhere for 'letter before action' or do I need to phone them and record the conversation?

• 1 month later...

Update:

I sent a letter before action letter to j coates and they wrote back just over a week later saying they believe they acted fairly and that they don't believe we incurred any additional costs..... OMG! We paid out a weeks hotel that we didn't need to, fuel to travel to somewhere he didn't need to be and lost a weeks work for nothing!!

They say the course he attended was relevant to his job which is true but he didn't need to do it for 5 years and because he didn't complete it all, it's invalid!!

Fuming doesn't come close..

Any ideas of the best place to go for advice on completing the court forms?

• 6 months later...

Hi all

I'd kind of forgot about the hassle of this but on thinking about it the other day, I don't want them to get away with it..

Is there a time limit on submitting court forms and do I need to send j Coates another lba or is the one from Feb/ March ok?

Thanks

Anyone?

I am at a loss to be honest, What contract has been breached to claim redress??

This will come down to him proving he was advised to do his CPC as a condition to further his training by J coates

As with any civil claim it will be down to the claimant to prove they have suffered loss through a breach of contract, as there is no contract there can be no breach

Unless you have emails, signed contracts, training regimes stating this course is essential to allow you to continue from J coates then it will be classed as nothing more than an incedental extra

That is the way i see it anyway in my own opinion