• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Advice on mistakes made by Smile and shoddy service.

lazaroumonkeyterror
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Advice on mistakes made by Smile and shoddy service.

I Hope this is the right part of the forum to post this but I'm looking for some advice.

I bank with Smile.co.uk having move from natwest due to their poor service and punishing bank charges. I had heard good things about Smile but almost a year on I'm sorry to say my experience has not been a happy one.

Anyway, to skip to the most recent jape the bank has pulled on me.

Last night I went online to check my balance and make a payment only to find I couldn't log on and see my account. Thinking I might have forgotten a password I followed the website's advice and called the helpline to speak to a puzzled girl who explained that my account had a "customer excluded" notice on it and could not be lifted.

She beleived this to be a technical issue and not something to worry about and directed me to cotact the techincal department tomorrow to rectify this. I then enquired as to the general status of my account and my outstanding balance to which she duly complied and left me satisfied that it was a technical issue and nothing financially wrong with my account.

I call up today to sort this out and am directed to the "Collections" department, a little suprising as last night everything was fine with my account.

After a while i speak to an operative who informs me that it is not a techincal issue at all and their is an outstanding loan payment to be dealt with and that is why I can access my account.

(Lets ignore for moment that for me to receive the secure message from the bank warning me of this or to log on to my account to go through my statements and see what has gone wrong I would actually have to be able to see my account)

Apparently and without warning my account has been suspended because of an outstanding loan payment dating back to last June, when i first came to Smile. An issue with a standing order not being set up was hinted at even though all subsequent loan payments have been through standing order with no problems.

Obviously this was a serious issue so the lady on the phone offered to get a manager to call me back.

Receiving a phone call back the manager explained to me that when my account was set up last may, due to all the chaos of the transfer of account (I noticed no blame was put on me for this which was reassuring) the first loan payment never came out.

It has taken some minion in a back room almost a year to figure this out (or "The Systemas it's enigmatically called) where upon buttons were pressed and my online services were suspended. My card and phone banking are unaffected however which seems a curious punishment for "missing" a payment.

From the tone of the manager's voice i could clearly tell the bank was at fault here (I worked in a credit card call centre once and know the routine) and he offered a £25 gesture of goodwill which increased to £50 later.

Great, you might think. Sadly there was still the matter of the outstanding payment.

A repayment plan was offered (wonder how that effects my credit rating), an extra £25 a month for three months to bring things back into order. I mentioned that the £50 gesture of goodwill will actually go straight on the repayment plan so what goodwill has been soured.

I have still to find £25 extra on top of the loan repayments over the next three months. Perphaps not a lot to most but despite all those years at uni and years of experience at work I find myself trapped by repayments, bank charges etc so i can barely afford rent and the petrol to drive me to work every month :confused:

Anyway, whinging about this has been quite cathartic but I would still like to hear any advice on where to go from here because i've had it with Smile and want to take things as far as my rights allow.

Firstly, welcome to the forum, and apologies again for the mix-up on my part.

In answer to your post, I would suggest first that you write to the bank stating that you are not happy with their handling of the situation, and the extra payments which you are having to make are causing problems - which are of their making. Add that if they do not resolve this matter to your satisfaction you will escalate the matter to the Banking Ombudsman.

I note that you have mentioned you have had problems with charges as well. I would advise you go to the FAQ's and then follow the process for reclaiming these.

Keep us informed of developments.

Grrrrrr

A week later, and they've punished me to the tune of £30 even though I've been under my limit all week and been keeping a close eye on my balance all week via their phone banking service.

Once again I'll have to get my blood up and argue with someone at smile to get this sorted.

Could anyone advise how I should approach this matter with regards reimbursing todays charges as I desperately need that money with the rent due at the start of next month?

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks