Bankruptcy threshold increased from £750.00 to £5,000.00 - Information accurate - 21.09.2015

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The changes will allow approximately 3,600 more people a year with problem debt to enter into a Debt Relief Order (DRO) – a low cost alternative to bankruptcy for those with very low assets and income and debt which they are unable to pay. The maximum amount of debt that can be covered by these plans will increase from £15,000 to £20,000.

The government is also increasing the minimum level of debt for which someone owed money can force a person into bankruptcy from £750 to £5,000. The limits were last revised in 1986.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/improved-help-for-people-struggling-with-problem-debt

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Changes announced today include:

Bankruptcy creditor petition level to be increased to £5,000 from £750

DRO limits raised to £20,000 enabling some 3,600 more people with low level debt to use DROs instead of the more expensive and onerous bankruptcy process

DRO asset limits raised to £1,000, plus a vehicle (worth not more than £1,000)

•The maximum surplus income a person can have to qualify for a DRO will remain at £50 per month

•A light touch monitoring of the intermediaries to maintain consistency.

This is really good news.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think you would need to speak with National Debtline/CAG for those figures, Ford.

BCOBS

I missed this bit...

The changes will be subject to Parliamentary scrutiny before coming into force in October 2015.

BCOBS

If approved by parliament, are we going to see a flurry of bankruptcies in August/September this year?

I am thinking no. At the moment, creditors can make someone bankrupt for a mobile phone debt (£750.00) and Lowells have been known to do this (or at least to issue the stat demand).

Lowells have also been known to roll up small catalogue debts in order to achieve the £750.00 in order to permit them to issue a stat demand.

So at least debtors in this position have some protection.

I guess there might be some people who apply for personal BR who have over the £5,000 threshold who might still apply.

BCOBS

I don't think we'll see an increase in BK's. AS said, the lowlifes like Lowells and others have been using BK as a threat, and indeed a punishment for small debts. £750 is nothing nowadays in real terms.

I think the broad canvas looks exceedingly good. When it is scrutinised by parliament, it will be interesting to see how the detail changes, as that could make or break this. Perhaps the threshold could be linked to inflation or the RPI? At least then we wouldn't end up with figures which are 29 years old.

Interestingly, £750 in 1985 would be worth approximately £2100 today, so the plan is to increase the figure by just under 250% even allowing for inflation. That is significant. If the £50 disposable income for a DRO were increased by the same amount (allowing for inflation) you'd be looking at having a disposable income under approx. £400 to be eligible. Clearly this would be very significant.

The detail will be fascinating.

. It ALL needs to be updated, including the amount of disposable income. On the whole, very positive looking changes though.

ditto, as you say, at least in line with inflation.

Wonder what lowells and carter will do now that their main debt collection method is being removed :)

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 2 weeks later...

This is excellent news. David Cameron said that he wanted the government to do this a few years ago - before the 2010 election I believe - it will be good to see it finally happen.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks