How are you supposed to buy a new car?

Jamberson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is part real and part hypothetical. I'm currently hunting down a new second-hand car, and looking at private ads. I am getting bogged down in the new road tax legislation. I truly can't see how it's supposed to work.

When I buy a car which is parked on the roadside, I become the owner of an untaxed vehicle since the existing tax no longer moves across to me with the car. I can go and tax it myself, assuming there's a post office within easy reach, or I can get to a secure computer, and there are no hiccups, etc. Meantime, I'm breaking the law.

I am also the owner of an uninsured vehicle. So, likewise, I can then get insurance but all the while I'm doing that, I'm breaking the law by having it parked on the road.

So far as I can tell, there's no requirement to demonstrate insurance when obtaining road tax - but do I still need it anyway, for their computers to validate the tax application? If so, I need to insure it before I go looking for a post office.

I reason that I could tax and insure it before paying for it, but then I'm trying to tax a vehicle which already has another current road tax on it, and trying to insure a car which legally belongs to someone else, on the false basis that it's mine.

What are people supposed to do??

The way I understand things is :

On traffic lights there is now an ANPR camra and that can detect no MOT , TAX , Insurance and you then get a fine if you are lacking one. Plus points on your licence.

Now the money starts "racking up" !!!!

Suggestion :

Collect said vehicle on a car transporter.

Usually, you would turn up knowing that you are likely to be buying the car with an insurance quote in place just incase you do. Then cash changes hands(or credit card, bankers draft etc) a 2 min phone call puts insurance in place. Then log onto dvla on phone and buy tax.

Simples really. Yes, we would all live to not have insurance and tax costs, but we do. And its not that hard to buy it all.

You call that simple? I don't go looking for cars thinking I'm likely to buy them each time. Today I will be looking at one at 9am, which is 20 miles from home - I went to two different towns yesterday and looked at two different cars, and who knows how many more before I find the right one? I need all the pertinent details and an insurance quote on every vehicle I'm considering in advance?

And I don't use a mobile.

But if I did, and it had an internet connection, and the website was working fine, and I could figure out exactly what I needed to do, and I could get a signal etc. I'd still be breaking the law for at least a few minutes, while trying to get the tax sorted - and absence of road tax invalidates the insurance. So I'm on some street somewhere trying to get on to DVLA's website to buy the tax, when some idiot bashes into the car. The seller doesn't want to know - he's got my money already. I'm not taxed and hence not insured.

Is that really how it's supposed to be?

Organising insurance hasn't changed under the new tax rules, that's always been the same so you can forget about that aspect of your post.

You tax it off the green slip new keepers part of the V5, you can do this at a Post Office, over the internet or by phone, so if anything it's easier than it's ever been to tax a car. If the seller won't let you use his phone or internet, find a public phone.

Insurance is not invalidated by lack of road tax, though it could possibly be down graded to third party only, which won't help with damage in a you're at fault claim.

The tax database doesn't update straight away, so if the car has a bit of tax on it, it'll still show up as taxed until the change of keeper has been notified, not ideal but you won't get pulled for it.

I can't see the problem, if you're organised in knowing the procedure, web site address, telephone number, phone box and Post Office locations, it would make it easier. I recently purchased a car 200 miles from home, I had insurance already in place for it on the understanding that I could cancel it with no penalty should I not buy the car and used the sellers computer to do the road tax, all totally legal for the drive home.

I can see what your saying Jamberson. As I did buy a new car just before Christmas.

Admittedly from Nissan, but as I sat doing the paperwork etc, I had use of my phone to go online to buy insurance & sort out the Tax.

So I was all legal.

3 days later I got pulled by Police running an ANPR operation @ Lakeside as my new car came up as not insured!

Police were great as it goes, despite my saying I've just bought the car (Yep as soon as I heard myself saying this, I realised they probably have heard this on a few occasions).

40 minutes I sat there for, watching cars being seized left, right & center. I was in the minority I'd guess to be able to drive away, as the nice Policeman confirmed I was insured & I could leave.

It was an experience for me, as I've never been pulled in 20 years of driving.

It was explained to me by the Police, that the ANPR Database the Police use is not always updated quickly enough. They also said I could be pulled again, until the Database gets updated.

So when I got home, I checked MID online & I was still showing as not insured for the first week I had my car!

So if I was you, without a phone/access to internet. I'd go look at the car I'm intrested in & ask the Seller if it would be possible to use their phone/Pc to get insurance & tax the car before parting with my money.

I can't see a seller refusing to do so, but if they did, I wouldn't buy the car.

Alternatively you could say to the seller. I'd like to buy the car, can I leave a deposit holding it (written out as such as well to protect your money) & go back home to get the insurance & tax sorted out before going back to complete the deal.

I wish you good luck with your new car purchase!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Unless you really know your motors I wouldn't buy private, you have no rights should anything go wrong. If you buy from a dealer, the car is off the road and they will assist with the tax and insurance as well as you having legal redress should the car not be as described.

Organising insurance hasn't changed under the new tax rules, that's always been the same so you can forget about that aspect of your post.

Can I take out tax on a car without holding an insurance policy for that vehicle?

Unless you really know your motors I wouldn't buy private, you have no rights should anything go wrong. If you buy from a dealer, the car is off the road and they will assist with the tax and insurance as well as you having legal redress should the car not be as described.

Sure. Like I said, it's part hypothetical - just in principle it seems like a lot of advance work is needed to comply with the laws. I didn't buy the car I went to see today, but the seller just watched another buyer drive off without tax. Why couldn't they give a grace period, say 24 hours, on a new buy?

Insurance is not invalidated by lack of road tax, though it could possibly be down graded to third party only, which won't help with damage in a you're at fault claim.

It's impossible for a motor policy on a private car to be either invalidated or the cover reduced in anyway due to the car having no tax

Think you might consider reporting this new law to your MP, like some of the rest of us.

The more complaints they receive, the more likely something will be done about it.

Some working people can only go car hunting on a Saturday afternoon/ Sunday, so no PO's open---well & truly shafted.