• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

PC world unfair charge of £70.00

Sid r
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

yesterday while online I reserved a Panasonic 50" TV off the pc world website,

today the 27th December i went in to pay and collect from customer service desk,

the cost was £350.00,

upon getting the tv home and setting it up the picture quality was very poor

decided as I weren't satisfied & to return it, with intentions to look for something better at a higher price,

only to be told they would deduct 20% which equates to £70 because I had opened the box!

Can anyone advise me if I have been unfairly treated, the tv went back to the store in Bradford 1 hour after I had bought it.

Thanks in advance Sid. Who advises to avoid like the plague!

Edited by Sid r

nope they cant do that and they know it!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Theyre wrong. You are entitled to a full refund if it was advertised at a certain spec and you saw it at a shop, then got it home and it clearly wasnt. Not sure what happens if you simply changed your mind. They cant deduct an arbitrary 20% just because the box was opened.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

They have to be the cheekiest company ever. There 'has' to be some sort of bonus setup for 'top customer rip-off'. They know damned well they can't do this. If they insist on following this line, then hand them a letter you have already typed up and put into your pocket saying you want a full refund now or you will take them to court without any further notice.

Edited by Conniff

And make sur eyou get the employees name and ID number or reference number who told you that. If they wont, then demand to speak to the manager and tell him that he will personally be named in the court action. Theyll soon turn 180.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks to all for the replies, appreciated.

I will go tomorrow and speak to the manager again, I won't be holding my breath for a good outcome, but I will pursue to the end. Will give update tomorrow. Thanks again, Sid.

A bit of advice for you. use a mobile phone in your pocket and record the convo. You cant use it in a court case unless the judge says, but you can provide a transcript and produce the recording upon request. You dont even need to tell the manager you are recording it either.

i would defiantly challenge

this wont be a pcworld policy as i have never heard of it, i would guess its either a) a store not wanting returns or b) a dishonest staff member

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Well... I've been and spoken to the manager at PC World in Bradford, highlighted the fact I want the unfair charge of £70.00 refunded on the grounds that this Panasonic 50" TV is not of satisfactory quality, (very poor picture quality)

The adverts both online and in their brochure states it is LED, nowhere does it mention it is a LCD TV.

LED tv's are known for their better picture quality, hence the reason I purchased it!

Anyway he still refuses to refund stating PC Worlds policy! I asked him if PC world and their policy is above consumer law! He replied " the company pay people a lot more money to set this up than they pay him an he were only following their rules and pointed to the board above the till which have a brief description of returning items!

There is no mention of a 20% fee for opening a box, it only states that goods should be returned unopened, again this seems very unfair practice and shouldn't be the case in my opinion.

Can anyone advise further, also, is it ok to name the branch manager on the forum?

Thanks, Sid

Contact your Card Provider, ask to carry out a Chargeback. Follow up by sending the amended template.

Do it as soon as possible. See if they can refund the total amount, explain what PC World have tried to do.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

Send the following Recorded Delivery:-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/letter-to-make-a-chargeback-claim-

Debit card unfortunately :(

Now you deliver a Letter Before Action. You can start court action on line - MCOL and won't cost much which to add to your claim.

You are entitled to examine the product however bought. As you bought it on line, I think the regulations of 14 days to examine might just come into it.

Yes i could have viewed the tv in store, but didn't. I viewed the product online and reserved it online to collect the following day, I actually paid for the tv in store when collecting.

Wether this counts as an online purchase? I'm not sure. Either way it isn't upto LED picture quality as this advert makes out!

The quality of the picture is the opposite to what is explained in their advertisement

I cant post a link but the product in question is LCD, not LED as advertised.

then as post 2 they cannot refuse to fully refund you BY LAW

its within 14 days

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for that reassuring comment, I believe it is just this particular branch manager that is the problem here, I can't imagine other pc world managers being this silly about this issue

When I left pc world yesterday I went to tesco and bought one from there at nearly double the cost

this is the foolish part about it, I wasn't wanting my money back to start with, my intentions were made clear to him, I wanted to buy a tv with good picture quality even if it meant spending more money on one, but he insisted about this 20% charge!

Im sure the manager may benefit from a refresher course on customer care

Hi all, quick update, I phoned the bank today, because the payment hasn't left yet they cannot issue a charge back at the moment, but they are now aware of my problem and will look into it for me.

Thanks for all your advice and I will keep updating as soon as I know.

Thank you to all, Sid.

Keep checking every couple of days so the bank don't forget.

Hi all, quick update, I phoned the bank today, because the payment hasn't left yet they cannot issue a charge back at the moment, but they are now aware of my problem and will look into it for me.

Thanks for all your advice and I will keep updating as soon as I know.

Thank you to all, Sid.

recommend contacting @knowhowtohelp on twitter with details, already had a responce saying it isnt right and to get in touch with them

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Once this gets resolved, you should write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such.

Explain what's happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do (maybe some vouchers as a gesture of goodwill).

Send the email to:-

Mr Sebastian James

Chief Executive

Dixons Carphone

[email protected] .uk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting....is it faulty or just that you don't like it. Did you go over and check out the quality of the one they had in store?

Most places do not offer a refund if the product is opened and you simply do not like it, I don't think that is the anomoly here.

Research, research, research....there's plenty of places/methods to do this before you make a significant purchase. Hopefully next time you will.