Economy 7 Off-peak hours not disclosed???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1990 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Incredibly,

EDF don't say exactly what 7 hours constitute the "low" metering period!

It apparently varies by region and possibly changes depending on the time of the year.

I can phone them and they will tell me what times apply to me,

but their computer doesn't seem able to look this up for me when I log into my online account.

It seems to me that I can hardly schedule my usage properly if I don't know when the cheap time is!

How do they get away with this kind of thing?

Haven't they got a duty to make that information easily available (and a duty to specifically inform consumers if the off-peak hours change)?

This is the only info I can find in the tariff documents:

If you’re on E7 (also known as Economy 7) your electricity will be

charged at two rates. You’ll have a higher day rate, and a cheaper

night rate which applies for seven to nine hours between 8pm

and 8am. These meters are often installed in properties which use

electricity (rather than gas) for heating and hot-water. The actual

times your night rate applies will depend on where you live, so if you

need to find these out then please call us on 0800 096 9000.

So other than phoning them, there is not way for me to find out if I will save anything by, say, running my immersion heater from 11pm-1am. Those might happen to be the two hours that are excluded from the 9-hour window.

You make very vaild points, you shouldn't have to hunt for that information.

Write a Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (You have economy 7) , how they have let you down (they won't inform you of the times) and what you want them to do (tell you the times, this is basic information that is needed if you are to benefit from the product).

Send it to:-

Mr Vincent de Rivaz

Chief Executive

EDF Energy UK

[email protected]

My understanding is that it changes when the clocks change, but I seem to remember being told some years ago that meters were individually set. I'm not clear what the issue is with phoning to find out what hours your night rate operates.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It sounds like it's an Online Tariff, managed online, so you would think that information should be provided online.

My understanding is that it changes when the clocks change, but I seem to remember being told some years ago that meters were individually set. I'm not clear what the issue is with phoning to find out what hours your night rate operates.

It sounds like it's an Online Tariff, managed online, so you would think that information should be provided online.

I guess so.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I used to have economy 7 and the off peak hours were shown on my statement !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

your meter tells you the times

simply use the buttons on the meter and interrogate it.

the name relates to the 7 hours its low rate [Economy 7]

its always 12midnight till 7am

some providers leave it at GMT time all year

others move with BST as necessary.

if you look at your meter it will tell you the rate [1 or 2]

or [L/N] in the windows that its currently registering against.

so you should be able to tell when it switches over

its always 'on the hour' whatever hour that is

and counts 7 hours and switches back.

there used to be a signal issued down the power line to cause meteres to switch.

but I believe this is no longer done?

as most meters are now digital.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just picked N-Power at random:-

Economy 7 - cheaper electricity at night

The Economy 7 cheaper rate period typically falls 7 hours between 10pm and 8.30am, but that period can vary across the country. Most variations depend on the type of meter you have, and what time of year it is (British Summer Time etc).

The easiest way to find out your exact Economy 7 hours is to look at your meter. Meters can vary, so on some meters it will tell you the hours next to the meter or on it.

For other meters you will need to take a note of your supply number which you can find on your meter or a recent bill and you can check your region on the map below.

economy_7_map_large.jpg

https://customerservices.npower.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/179/~/what-are-the-economy-7-peak-and-off-peak-periods%3F

Scottish Power:-

With an economy 7 meter you get cheaper electricity during the night. This may be controlled by a timer in the meter itself, a separate timer or a radio signal.

The actual times of the off-peak period vary, but you'll always receive at least 7 hours in each period of 24 hours at the cheaper rate. Suppliers don't hold any information on the exact times of your meter, so the best way to establish the off-peak period is to look at your meter around the times shown below. Please note that the times on the meter are always set to GMT and don't change when the clocks go forward or back.

The below list gives examples of possible time periods but times can vary depending on make and model of your meter/time switch and the local electricity distribution area that you live in:

• Eastern = 23:00 - 07:00am

• East Midlands = 23:00 - 07:00am

• London Electric = 23:00 - 07:00am

• Manweb = 00:00 - 08:00am

• MEB (mechanical meter) = Summer time - 01:00 - 08:00am Winter time - 00:00 - 07:00am (Radio teleswitch meter) = Summer time - 01:30 - 08:30am Winter time - 22:30 - 00:30am and - 02:30 - 07:30am

• Northern = 00:30 - 07:30am

• Norweb = 00:30 - 07:30am

• Scottish Hydro = ( All meters have different settings)

• ScottishPower = 22:00 - 08:30am

• Seeboard = 22:30 - 00:30 and 02:30 - 07:30am

• Southern = 23:30 - 06:30am

• SWALEC = (All meters have different settings)

• SWEB = (All meters have different settings)

• Yorkshire = 00:30 - 07:30am

• 2 months later...

I to have a problem with T & C omitting the ECO 7 time periods yet, the meter has a label fitted at the bottom of the meter which states low rate between midnight and 07.00 am. Is this a contractual obligation on the energy company?

Where does this alleged two hour grace period come from. Is it a recommendation , a guide or is it in law?

• 3 years later...

A bit late posting but others might pick this point up.

I am with Bulb and they say:-

+ During the winter, when the UK is on Greenwich Mean Time (last Sunday of October to the last Sunday of March), your off-peak electricity hours will be 00:30-07:30.

+ During the summer, when the UK is on British Summer Time (last Sunday of March to last Sunday of October), your off-peak electricity hours will be 01:30-08:30.

THE FACTS

When I last cycled through on the readings using the button on my electricity meter the time is displaying 21.08 which I assume is 22.08 BST However, the time stamp on my phone is 22.29. (I video all my readings each month). My phone/camera is set near to the exact 'real time' BST.

THE QUESTION / POINT I RAISE

So as the time displayed on my electricity meter is slow by 21 mins this means my off-peak electricity hours 'real time' BST will be 01:51 - 08:51 and GMT will be 00:51 - 07:51.