Help with ESA claim (DWP refusing to pay)

fmcb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

Long time reader but first time poster, so please be gentle.

To summarise, I first claimed ESA in February of this year after being diagnosed with nephritis and depression. (I also suffer from suspected post-traumatic stress disorder.) That paper claim along with my medical certificate was lost in the post, so I claimed again in early April. That claim went through and I was paid up until late June or so, however I have received no money since.

In June my health had deteriorated somewhat; I was hospitalised for a few days, I had a kidney biopsy and was later diagnosed with end-stage renal failure. My claim lapsed (or so I thought) because I was too ill to handle my affairs. I had, however, sent off my ESA50 but that too appears to have been lost in the system as well.

On November 28, I made a new claim. I was told that once I'd sent in my medical certificate that I would be paid for the period covered by my Med 3 (09/14 - 12/14). I have now been told that, because my previous claim is still open and "live", I will not be paid unless I get another medical certificate to cover me from June through to September (where my current cert' starts).

I could really do with some advice as every time I call the contact centre I'm told something different. And to make matters worse, it's now three weeks since I sent off my current medical certificate and that too appears to have gotten lost in the Wolverhampton mail-handling blackhole. I know that I can request an AJACS appointment so that no further medical evidence can go stray, but I don't know what to expect. I was under the impression that my previous claim would have been closed. I was also advised by a JC+ advisor that, because my condition had deteriorated so, that the DWP cannot deny me payment.

If anyone could help shed any light on this, or advice as to what steps I can take to try and get this sorted, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Hi fmcb

Welcome to CAG

It sounds like the DWP are giving you the 'round around', losing forms etc. Clearly they shouldn't be doing that. You are doing everything you can, taking into consideration your various challenging illnesses. You've done enough running around. If possible avoid speaking to them over the phone.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (as in your post), how they have let you down and what you want them to do.

In the subject line write the following with the name of the delivery centre dealing with your claim,

'Formal Letter of Complaint - XXXXXXXXX Delivery Centre'

In the Formal Letter of Complaint, also write, 'CC:XXXXXXX XXXXXXX, MP, XXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXX (address)

Send it to:-

[email protected]

Copy it to your MP, get him to also look into the matter.

http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

I hope your feel better soon.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I'll give the formal complaint route a go, thanks rebel11. And I'll make sure to check back in later in case anyone else has any smart ideas.

Thanks again!