• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Been paying HL legal for +10yrs on 'an' RBS 'debt' now Drydens want more!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’d really appreciate some advice on this matter.

Briefly – a debt has been transferred to a debt collection solicitor and the outstanding amount has suspiciously skyrocketed.

I’ve been paying off a long-standing debt to a firm of solicitors/debt collectors called HL Interactive.

They were managing this debt on behalf of Royal Bank of Scotland,

though the joint mortgage was originally taken out in 1990 and I have none of the original documentation,

and cannot even remember the name of the lender (it was a French name, taken out through Prudential).

Last year the balance on this account, which I have never disputed, was approximately £6,000.

I have a letter from HL dated June 2013 confirming this.

I have been making payments to HL for years via direct debit and have had no dispute or hassle from them.

Last week I received two letters in the same envelope.

One is from RBS saying that management of this debt has now been transferred to a firm called drydensfairfax,

to whom all queries should now be directed.

They enclosed a letter from drydensfairfax themselves, and this is the one that worries me.

According to them, I owe over £16,000.

While I have never denied the debt, I do not know where this amount has come from and what powers they have.

I am certainly not going to phone them at this stage, especially since I was brought to these forums by googling their name.

Is it possible that there is small print somewhere that says my debt

(£6000 or so in 2013) can now be inflated to £16,000+ and that I have to pay it?

Should I now engage the services of a solicitor?

Any advice is welcome.

Hi Cat on the mat and welcome to CAG.

So we are to assume that the debt has been assigned from HL Interactive to drydensfairfax.

Have you ever requested a copy of the agreement by way of a section 77/78 request?

You refer to a joint mortgage...is the debt a mortgage/further advance if you could give a little history of the debt...date type etc Im sure you will then get the appropriate advice on how to deal with this.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

This has cash cow written all over it!

Time to put the brakes on this and start demanding written evidence that a, this amount actually exists, and b, that they are legally entitled to collect.

SAR & CCA time I feel...

Keep everything in writing, do NOT deal with this over the phone. Get a paper trail of evidence started.

Keep a diary of events, keep all letters, including the envelopes, and mark them with the date you received them on.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

.Have you ever requested a copy of the agreement by way of a section 77/78 request?

You refer to a joint mortgage...is the debt a mortgage/further advance if you could give a little history of the debt...date type etc Im sure you will then get the appropriate advice on how to deal with this.

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy for the prompt reply. The answer to your question is no, I don't even know what a section 77/78 is.

I was about to write to HL requesting confirmation of the balance at time of transfer,

when I googled 'drydensfairfax' and decided to register on these forums.

I'll give what background I can:

a joint mortgage of around £19500 was taken out in 1990, and

things went to pot in 1992 when the marriage broke up and I left the property.

Mortgage repayments were one thing caught up in the mess

since around 1995 I have been paying back in very small amounts my half of the loan.

I don't have any paperwork from that period but I've been paying back HL for around 10 years

and do have some recent correspondence from them, and more than once a balance in the 6000s is quoted.

I have never had any court judgements against me and when I got a credit report a couple of years ago

there was no mention of this debt or any associated 'black marks' on it.

A year or so ago HL asked to me to increase the monthly payments, which I did to their satisfaction.

These letters from RBS and drydensfairfax, and the new balance of over £16000, have come out of the blue.

Since I created this topic it has crossed my mind that they may have added my ex-wife's share of the debt to mine,

having perhaps tried and failed to get money from her.

But I'm just guessing, since I haven't seen her in around 10 years when she remarried,

and I don't even know where she lives.

If that's what they've done I'd certainly deny liability on the grounds that if they didn't consider me liable 10 years ago,

I don't see why I should be considered liable now.

That's probably as much info as I have, if it helps.

What Andy is referring to is called a CCA Request. If they dont have the documents, then they shouldnt be able to enforce in court.

I would complain to Both Drysden's Fairfax and also RBS along with HL Interactive to make sure payments have been aligned to the account correctly

If you have that letter from HL, can you put it up? In PDF Format, but removing personal details.

Also DF like to issue Claims like confetti... Id like to see them answer to this one.

Bet you its a £10k admin fee ^__^

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

OKay many thanks Cat...

Here is the section 77 request...I would advise this is your first action to Drysden's

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387435-CCA-Request-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974.

Secondly it would be worth a DSAR so you can quantify all charges payments etc...this goes to RBS.It may also be prudent to request statements from HL to clarify all your payments so far.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request

Now Ill try to shed some light for you ...mortgages or joint debts and are joint and several so both of you are liable for the full amount...the creditor can chase either party for the full amount...but given the amount of time you have been paying the debt to HL...that still does not clarify for the difference in presumed balances...only the DSAR will shed light on that and if your section 77 is complied with the terms and conditions of the agreement could explain default interest being added.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

oh dear... someone been visiting the HL legal milking parlour for 10yrs

..disconnect the milking machine now.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks, Andy (and others). I'll get on to those requests you suggest. And talk about coincidence - drydensfairfax have just called my workplace. They're certainly eager - in their letter they've allowed me until 8th of this month to phone them. I didn't take the call.

Edit: I see my post has been moved. There's obviously more to HL than met my eye!

you need to report them for that

not allowed to do that

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Communication with third parties

CONC 7.9.6

01/04/2014

FCA

A firm must not unfairly disclose or threaten to disclose information relating to the customer's debt to a third party.

[Note: paragraph 3.7p of DCG]

CONC 7.9.7

01/04/2014

FCA

When contacting a customer1) a firm must ensure that it does not act in a way likely to be publicly embarrassing to the customer; and

(2) a firm must take reasonable steps to ensure that third parties do not become aware that the customer is being pursued in respect of a debt

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

in addition to your s77 request to Drydens, and your sar to rbs, and statements from hl,

I would make a Formal Complaint in writing to rbs, concerning the attempted contacting of yourself at work by their collectors Drydens

quoting the FCA Guidance as above, they are ultimately responsible for the conduct of their dca

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

Hello again folks - update time.

I’ve received a reply to the s77 sent to Drydens and

I don’t know whether to be encouraged or not.

I sent them the recorded delivery s77 on 3rd December and by 16th it still had not been delivered according to Royal Mail tracking,

I sent another by special delivery on 16th, and it was signed for on 17th.

I received the following letter yesterday (14th Jan).

I don't have the facility right now to scan it but I reproduce the entire text bar the yours faithfully etc -

I have not omitted the reference and property address, there are none on their letter.

The amount of the alleged balance also does not correspond with the amount they asked for last month; it is actually £177 less:

'09 January 2015

Dear Mr xxxxxx

Our Client: Bank of Scotland Plc (Birmingham Midshires Division)

Sum outstanding: £16,638.35

Mortgaged property:

We refer to the above matter.

As requested, please find the up to date balance above and a payment list along with the initial letter attached. Please note that the balance above also includes the payments made direct to us amounting to £2.00.

We must now request that you provide us with up to date income and expenditure details, along with an offer of payment. Please complete and return the attached Income and Expenditure Questionnaire within the next 14 days.'

The 'payment list' they refer to is a list of my payments to HL, and it isn't even complete. And since they refer to payments to themselves of £2, I now know they received both s77s from me. There is no mention of what the figure they claim (£16,638) consists of. I still don't know why it exceeds, by over £10,000, the amount I had been paying off to HL.

It appears to me that the information the s77 asked for has not been forthcoming, and that all Drydens actually have is an account reference and a made-up number. It was my understanding that the s77 obliged them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement and related documents - which they have failed to do.

Also:

1. I wrote to HL requesting confirmation of the balance at the time the account was transferred to Drydens. I know they received it on 5th December but they have not contacted me yet. I did not use a template for this request, I composed a letter myself. Is it worth sending them a DSAR?

2. A DSAR was sent to RBS on 3rd December and I received an acknowledgement of the request dated 18th December from Birmingham Midshires (the branch who dealt with the loan when repayment arrangements first commenced in 1997-ish). I have heard nothing since, but the statutory 40 days aren't up yet. Then again I don't know when they received the DSAR since, according to good old Royal Mail tracking, it has not been delivered yet!

I'm certainly not going to complete a questionnaire at this stage to admit liability - which brings me to a slight niggle. Is the sending of the s77 using your template regarded as a denial of liability? Or, now that they have not complied with it, should I write to Drydens calling attention to their non-compliance and then deny liability? Or should I hang on for now to see what I receive in response to the DSAR?

I know that's a lot of text to wade through but any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Actually I've just realised I may have made an error. I checked the s77 I sent and it looks as though I deleted a paragraph I should have left in. It's the text in blue in the template that is supposed to be deleted if sending to the original creditor rather than a collection agency. I should have left it in, shouldn't I. What an idiot. Should I send another s77?

if they've not sen your signed agreement

then tough luck them

they know the score

cow removed from milking palour till they do.

I wouldn't keep wasting money on recorded delivery either.

al you need is free proof of posting.

its worthy to note also

the Birmingham midshires mortgages/secured loans have some very dodgy threads around.

90% of the 'debt' is typically arrears charges and insurances

none of which wee ever legal needed.

dx

and they

Okay, so does the fact that they have not produced the original agreement when requested mean that they have no leg to stand on if they take recovery action against me? My instinct now is to write to Drydens to make it clear to them that I deny liability.

No need to write further they are fully aware of what you have requested and also their legal obligations....they dont need to to be told they are in default and the implications that transpire.

Andy

• 5 months later...

Your original loan was with Credit Agricole arranged through the Prudential - I know because I had same in 1991 and it was took over by Birmingham Midshires. The latter start submitting the account with charges etc even though theres no provision in the original contract to do so. I know because I have all the original documents. I submitted a claim for charges - Midshires settled before court hearing. It looks whoever as had your debt has used their own interest and charging structure to milk you.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill